Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Okay...what did Mike Griffith say that got people riled up?

Comments

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod
    edited April 2019

It has been proven that tobacco causes cancer and more than likely enhanced by the added chemicals. Long term studies an marijuana have yet to prove any results that come close to tobacco, and actually may help to reduce the risk.

"According to the most scientifically valid studies, long-term marijuana smoking is not associated with elevated cancer risk, including lung, melanoma, prostate, breast or cervix.

Medical Benefits

Scientists hypothesize that the anti-oxidant properties of marijuana might override any cancer-causing chemicals found in marijuana smoke, therefore protecting the body against the impact of smoking. That alone is a huge surprise to most people, but that’s just the beginning.

A study in 2009 actually found that moderate marijuana smoking over a 20-year period was actually associated with reduced risk of head and neck cancer. In fact, some of the chemicals in marijuana, such as THC and especially CBD, have been found to promote tumor cell death and show potential as effective tools in treating cancer.

Marijuana smoking is not associated with any other permanent lung harms, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, emphysema or reduced lung function – even after years of frequent use."

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m assuming you mean the bad for your lungs aspect of smoking anything? There’s certainly a concern there...but currently at least, pot doesn’t have all the additives that cigarettes do...plus the fact that nicotine itself is bad for your body in a whole in a number of ways in addition to being incredibly addictive.

That being said, smoking ANYTHING is not great for you but the average cig smoker smokes a lot more tobacco daily than even the most ardent stoner smokes marijuana. And there are alternative ways to consume pot in edibles, vaporizers, water pipes, etc.

But yeah, even as someone who’s pro legalization I’ll admit that they need to do more studies on the effects of smoking it on your lungs. AND if it does get legalized hopefully it will be regulated in a way that prevents big companies from adulterating/altering it for profit the way tobacco companies put everything from asbestos to formeldahyde in cigarettes.

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cigarette companies hid their scientific findings regarding the damage their products were doing. They also were actively trying to find ways to add addictive chemicals to their product. That’s why they were sued. Still, they’re legal to this day so I’m not sure the comparison you’re trying to make.

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Marijuana and cbd have anti inflammatory effects. I imagine it probably does more to enhance than detract from performance (I’m talking about effects of training, not actually getting high during a game).

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Insects are a huge economic nuisance to marijuana farmers. What kind of stuff do you think the people growing illegal marijuana might have sprayed on their crop to prevent bugs. That’s what I would be worried about when smoking the stuff.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

if only there were other ways to take advantage of thc and cbd without smoking a blunt or a joint...

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anybody know if cbd oil shows up in a drug test? My husband has a herniated disk on T-7. He goes to a pain clinic monthly but we would love to get away from the pills. He gets steroid shots quarterly but they last less than 2 months and run his sugar up to 500 for a few days after the shots. We are at the point we are willing to try surgery when we get our deductible met.

cbd is legal everywhere. you probably have a store in your local city that sells it.

drug tests look for thc, if they even test for it all. and there are even different levels to that.

whether or not cbd will help him is a different story. it is not some cure all.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As long as it's legit CBD...ie..not synthetic or actually containing THC(you'd be surprised from what I've seen) from hemp then it shouldn't show up as the tests are specifically looking for THC.

I haven't really tried it for pain but I actually got my 70 year old mom to try CBD lotion on her arthritic hands...it's some pricey brand that they sell at the swanky places apparently lol. She says she thinks it helps but I'd sent her some pro-CBD studies so it might have convinced her lol. Let me know if it works for his back..that's rough!

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know if it will help or not but it's worth a shot unless it shows up on a drug test. The pain clinic tests him every 2 months. I talked to his dr about cbd oil and he wasn't open to trying it at all.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There isn't much research on it let alone a double blind randomized placebo controlled trial for pain. Any good doctor would be skeptical. I hope your husband feels better soon. Herniated discs are incredibly frustrating.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Maybe I should have prefaced my statement by saying that my degrees are in business and psychology, not in chemistry. As well as my knowledge of Marijuana is very limited.

I have never done marijuana or cigarettes. But for every "positive" study, there are "negative" one:

Understand, I could care less what people do on thier own time. But don't act like there aren't any side effects.

edited April 2019

@BamaDawg

"Understand, I could care less what people do on thier own time. But don't act like there aren't any side effects."

no said there wasn't. but to say it is the same as being a cigarette smoker is disingenuous at best, moronic at worse

*edit* just noticed you were a troll. I would not have responded if I saw that earlier.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where do you get that I am a troll? Is it because I disagree with the use of marijuana except for medical purposes? Is it just that I seem to disagree with the crowd? I'm just curious when you formulated that opinion.

As for the subject at hand, I never said they were exactly the same. I was only pointing out that we spent, and actually still spend, millions trying to get everyone to quit smoking one thing, only to want to make it acceptable to smoke something else. Defending the lesser of two evils is not a defense. Again, as I have stated, I am no expert. But I am fairly sure that smoking anything will eventually have a negative effect on the cardiopulmonary, as well as (in this case) it would seem some levels of memory loss.

I will say it again, slowly this time for you to understand, I DON'T care what someone else does on thier one time. I disagree with it, but I don't care.

• dawgsInTheMountainsdawgsInTheMountains Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

I just wish Mike G would quit writing stories or bringing it up with BA on DND. They’re kids-- yes athletes on scholarship and all that—but kids do dumb stuff like keep weed in a dorm room.

Let Kirby do his thing and don’t feed the narrative. If they don’t get right, Kirby will handle it.

Not a big poster, this has bothered me though. No hard feelings @MikeGriffith

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A big problem in the youth today is so much is being accepted or tolerated to begin with. Ms Holloman fell right in that trap.

I was a Jr in high school in 1999 and I watched my mother make my best friend at the time eat a pack of cigarettes. She told us if she ever caught us then we would eat em. He called her bluff....needless to say neither of us smoke.

Unfortunately, culture today looks for something to blame rather than themselves or their kids.

And personally, I think they should have to be punished on two accounts...1) breaking the law (even though it is a questionable law at best imo) and 2) for being stoopid. Who has a maintenance call put in and leaves their bud in plain sight? I worry if they can even remain eligible to play football. Stoopid should be felony....one thing to break a law but entire different thing to be an id!ot while doing it.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife uses CBD oil and I can see a huge difference in her pain levels. She buys hers from a friend who sells high quality supplements. They guarantee their oil is THC free. My bride doesn't have to concern herself with drug tests as she takes care of the horses and the farm. I can't take a chance on it because I work for local government. I asked her friend if their company would pay my next 4 years salary and my retirement pay until I died if I tested positive. You can guess the answer. I have had 2 back surgeries, a L3, L4 laminectomy and L 3,4,5 fusion. I'm currently in pain management but the new federal guidelines have cut my dosage in half. I'm probably going to need at least an L6 and probably L2 additional fusion in the next 18 months. Another point that your pain management dr. probably won't tell you is that prednisone is NOT approved by the FDA for spinal injection. Dr's are allowed to use that way if they want because it is an alternative therapy. Pain docs get paid to give injections, not write prescriptions. In the end it's all about the $$$. I hope your husband can avoid the knife but sooner or later he will probably need it.