Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

My after season mock draft for The Hawks

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited April 2019 in Basketball

Assuming they stay at 5th and 7th I'd take Jarrett Culver at 5 and Texas center Jaxson Hayes at 7. Culver will contribute right away. He'll fit in nicely on offense and he's solid defensively. Hayes won't turn 19 till next month. He is already 6'11'' 220lb with a 7'3'' wingspan. he runs like a deer and his defensive upside is elite. The Hawks are absolutley awful on defense. Adding 2 players with plus defense will be huge.

Now for the wildcard. Try to trade into a position to pick french forward Sekou Doumbouya. Like Giannis when he signed with The Bucks this kid is barely 18, he's already 6'9'' and he has eye popping athletism. Sign and stash him in Europe till he's ready. If he spent 2 years growing and maturing in Europe he'd still be just 20 years old to start the 2021 season in Atlanta.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hawks win the lotto and take Zion

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

By the way, who says they're picking 5th and 7th?

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The whole Hawks organization is a dumpster fire filled with dog doo-doo. Just like the Falcons. Heads up their b holes. Just like the city of Atlanta. That's truth in a nutshell. WOKE.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can we still lose the 5th spot? Having a team that can't tank properly doesn't inspire me with confidence that we can make good picks. However, if we land high enough, maybe we can't make a bad one. Well, of course, there is always Marvin Williams.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

MeR3- ''assuming'', it's the first word in my OP. Of course in context that communicates an acknowledgment it might not play out that way. It is statistically more likely than moving up though.

We have a decent chance of moving up from 5th though. We have a 10.5% shot at the top pick. I don't know the odds of us landing the 2,3 or 4 spot.

domn. In the new format for 2019 I think the top 5 spots are subject to change. So I believe the lowest we could land is 6th. So potentially Dallas could draw a top 5 and keep their pick and we could end up with just the 6th and 34th picks.

Another name for consideration is Gonzaga's Brandon Clarke. He has Draymond Green type defensive ability with length and explosive athleticism. He can guard any position on the floor.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unfortunately this isn't the deepest draft. I do think there are some excellent defenders in this draft, and that is a good fit for the Hawks.

edited April 2019

I agree on both counts TNDawg. Either Jaxson Hayes or Brandon Clarke would seem like good fits with the Dallas pick. Add one of them and Jarrett Culver to the roster, not too shabby.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds good to me, those are the types of players that help build contenders.

• Gwinnett_DawgGwinnett_Dawg Posts: 160 ✭✭✭ Junior

And draw a strong free agent like Klay Thompson, Vuckovic, and/or Middleton

TNDawg. They seem especially right for The Hawks given our young stars are both excellent on the offensive end and weak on defense. Add good defenders with enough athleticism and court sense to be good overall players.

• JackLatttyJackLattty Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

How about trade 5,7, and next years 1st for number 1 pick.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Middleton actually has an option. I'm very interested in seeing if Milwaukee chooses to decline it and go in on Brogdon or if they want to risk letting him go get paid by someone else (and if the contract is not heartbreaking). I wouldn't mind either but Brogdon would honestly be my favorite even though he's a SG. He's an Al Horford type glue guy there...lol.

There's a 42.1% chance of getting in the top 4 but the highest odds for where the pick will land is 7th at 26.7%. Since there's very little chance of the pick being #5 unless we see chalk with the ping pong balls, I'm hoping the Hawks either move up a couple spots, or move down to #6 at the absolute most (which has the 2nd highest odds). Would love to win the lottery, but I'm not thinking that way because...ATL/Georgia sports.

So assuming #4 and #7 (think Dallas loses today and I'm hoping they draw #7), I'd prefer either Culver or Hunter with #4 and then probably Sekou with #7, maybe even trade down for him. With the Dallas pick conveying, I'd also put it at pretty likely they look at gambling on Reddish's upside. If it doesn't convey, then I'm not certain.

• ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is so far from the the truth. Did you actually watch the team play this year? The Hawks have what appears to be a future all nba, all star caliber player in Trae Young. John Collins improves by leaps and bounds in year 2, and Kevin Heuter has a poor man’s Klay Thompson written all over him.

And as far as the Falcons go the only real difference between the team this past season and the team that went to the Super Bowl is a pass rush. I honestly think the Falcons are one good draft away from contending for a title again.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

FWIW: If the Hawks do gamble on Sekou, which it wouldn't be a bad draft to look at Euros (Goga is a guy that could be like Adams with handles if you want to trade down to get a C with the Dallas pick), I think his most likely upside would be a better version of what Siakam has been this year, which would be great.

Man did the 3 rookies have a strong finish to the season tonight against Indy, which won 48 games and is among the best defensive teams in The league.

Between Collins, Young and Huerter they had.

70 pts on 20 of 41 shooting

40 rebounds

20 assist

3 steals

2 blocks

Center Alex Len who was a top 5 pick in 2013 and won't turn 26 for 2 months had 20 pts, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks. Prince also had a good game, he just turned 25.

There is a lot to like, but **** they are bad on defense. They have to pick guys who can play high level team defense in this draft.

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That foul on 3 point shot with 1 second left is very much like final four game. Dumb foul by bembry.

GeorgiaGirl I agree there are similarities in Sekou and Siakam and I'd take Siakam's 3rd year contributions in 2021. While Siakam was 22 when he entered the draft, Sekou is just 18. Sekou is also a more dynamic athlete in my opinion. That's where POTENTIAL upside gets into Giannis territory. I think Giannis was around 6'8'' when he was drafted. If Sekou grows a bit and harnesses his athleticism, he might be special. Again though, Siakam is a productive player who is a plus in just about every area, I'd take that.