Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

My after season mock draft for The Hawks

2»

Comments

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The guy who I think would be a great fit with the Hawks who should be available if they wind up with the 5th pick is Coby White. His natural position is shooting guard. He is very fast, plays D, can play with the ball in his hands, but can also play as a catch and shoot guy on the perimeter. He is lightning on the fast break and the Hawks have a young team that likes to run. He is roughly the same size as Culver but a year younger in development. He can also stay in the rotation as your second point guard and a scorer when Trey is getting a rest. He also could match up with difficult to guard point guards on D. Trey will never be an elite defender and having White would enable Trey to take play D against a Guard who is more of a catch and shoot guy instead of a penetrator against some lineups.

I like Culver as a potential defensive ace. He may or may not last until the 5th pick. He is an OK shooter but needs more consistency. He definitely has the hops, but he will need to get stronger to score on the inside against men at the NBA level. Not sure how he would fit in the Hawks fast break game with Trey at this point as Tech just did not play at a fast pace. I see the Hawks as a fast pace up and down the court type of team.

Hixson is an interesting possibility at 7. He also needs to get stronger and is very raw offensively. He also needs to get stronger to play against NBA centers. He has the potential to be a great shot blocker at the basket and I think he is the kind of athlete who will fit into the Hawks running game. My biggest question is will he develop into a player that deserves to be picked that high within the 3 years the Hawks would have control of him, or would they wind up, as happens with raw big men, developing a player who winds up playing somewhere else as a free agent. He might be a good complement to Len as they bring very different skill sets to the position that might be useful depending on who they are matching up against.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chicago - I like White, but I like Jarrett more for The Hawks' needs. Jarrett has a stronger build and probably 5 inches more wingspan. He is build for defending multiple positions in today's perimeter oriented motion offenses. It could be we take White though, if so I'll be fine with the pick.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What if we end up with 4 really good players and one almost great one....would that work for y'all?

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd rather give Brogdon a healthy offer sheet if possible then draft White. White could be good, but he's probably a rawer Murray and I'm not completely sold here. Brogdon is a legit role player that would fit very well on the team. If you get him, that'd push Huerter to the bench, but that's not a big deal.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okay WC, I guess I need to read these post more carefully. I would b thrilled if we had the 7th AND 5th pick though.

MeR- without reviewing the thread, we could well draw a higher spot with our current 5th spot. I think the lottery will give us around a 10 percent chance at the top pick. I'd like to see a statistical analysis of our odds for 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

If we get wildly lucky and draw the top pick, it's a no brainer, Zion all the way. If we draw the 2nd pick it gets real interesting. Ja Murrant is easily the next best prospect, but we have a pretty solid young PG. I'd be tempted to take him and play him at SG. More likely would be to leverage the pick and see what a team like Phoenix would give for his rights. Maybe do a sign and trade. The Suns with Murrant would be instantly transformed. They also have a surplus of young SFs, a position of need for us.

If we draw the 3rd spot it's likely Barrett, he'd be a very good fit and we could move him to SF when Huerter is on the floor with him.

If we landed at 4 I'd still likely take Jarrett Culver.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If they do land Zion, how do you think he fits in with the current team? Are there other adjustments the team would have to make? Obviously he seems like a great talent, but does he fit in with the current direction or is there a re-mold.

Brogdon is a very good player, but I would wonder if he would have any interest in leaving a team that could contend for the NBA championship for a young team that is probably a year away from making the playoffs. It is worth a shot, but the draft will be over when the free agent process gets into full swing.

The biggest issue with White last season was turnovers. Although part of the issue was he was jjust a Freshman, he would not be the primary point guard with the Hawks. That was an issue with Trey coming in from college and early in his first NBA season, but he improved quite a bit over the course of the year. I think White would, too.

I don't think Huerter is headed to the bench. I think he is going to be a star as he gains experience. He has all the tools on offense and seems like the type of player who will work to improve on Defense by working on his ability to move laterally. If they draft White I think you will see Huerter eventually move to the 3 (may not be next season) and Prince come off the bench if they keep him long term.

For free agency, I would think getting another Center to share time with Len might be a priority if they do not get a Center in the Draft.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

TND. I think it would be up to Zion to blend his game into what the coach wants from him. He certainly has the versatility to make it work. The offense needs to run through Trae, that would be the key test.

No way I'd pass on ZW though. If he slims down to 255lb or so his athleticism is going to be unreal. It's his bounce passes, block steals, etc that really make him a potential all time great though.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This format completely confuses me, we have a 10 % chance at #1 but 2% at number 5? I'm lost

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It does look odd, but I believe that is the natural side effect of capping how far each team can fall. See the Knicks at 47.9% in that column? All that means is if the Knicks don't get one of the first four picks, they're guaranteed to get the 5th, and everyone behind them falls in line. It makes sense if you think about it.

edited April 2019

AnotherDawg. It still seems really messed up.

The Hawks have the 5th worst record and Dallas has the 7th worst. Without a lottery we'd have the 5th and 7th picks. As it stands we have a 43.3% chance of improving our pick to between 1st and 4th, we have a 56.7% of ending up between 6 and 9.

We have a 28.9% chance of losing The Dallas pick altogether and a 71.1% of ending up from 8 to 14, so there is literally NO CHANCE at improving the Dallas pick and a 100% chance it will be worse than 7th.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

This is at least as complicated as placing a person on the moon. My head is spinning. I guess it will prove true that it is better to be lucky than good.

Since the drawing is for the winner of the Tankathon, I would say in this case it is better to be lucky than bad.😀