Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Game of Thrones Spoiler/dork thread

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

*SPOILERS*

I know there was already a poll on who wins the Iron Throne but it wasn’t “spoiler friendly” and it’s not immediately searchable. I was also wondering how everyone is enjoying the final season so far.

Are you a book reader? If so had you read them prior to the show? Strictly a show watcher and get annoyed at all the insider whining and lame theories? Do you feel the need to analyze every frame of every episode or just enjoy it and move on to next week’s episode? Do you care if a Starbucks cup made it past the editors or if the only black female character died last episode? Do you follow the show in other ways: read articles, listen to podcasts etc?

I’m a book reader prior to the show. I wasn’t a big fantasy guy but a girl and I gave each other a few books to read and the first GoT book was one of my requirements. This was probably 12-15 years ago and to my surprise I liked it and ended up reading the others. Of course that also means I’ve been stuck in the GRRM zone of annoyance/disappointment as far as the new book(s) ever coming out. I have very little faith that he’ll finish the series at this point and wonder if it will really matter if he does because the show is going to conclude things in one way or another.

I have enjoyed the show a good bit though as a book reader I’ve always been conflicted. I feel like GoT is essentially two shows: the early seasons where the show runners still thought Martin was going to give them another book and so they took their time, and the show after they went off script because Martin failed to produce. Add into that the fact that the show has gotten bigger every season and that the runners had to start looking at how to end it, and it’s not surprising that the show is now more about battles and quick character turns than slow builds and intricate plot.

At this point, I feel like a lot of people are expecting entirely too much out of a bunch of TV writers. GRRM himself would be hard pressed to wrap up his bloated series in the two massive books he claims he’s still going to put out. What most book readers who bemoan the show being too simplified don’t seem to remember is that the later books in the series were not great. Even when the show was still loosely going off the most recent books they had to cut out vast amounts of rather meaningless plot. Our favorite characters were all over the place where George left off. We wouldn’t have any of the interactions that most people love the show for if not for going off book and bringing them together.

My current overriding thought on the show is that people have entirely too high expectations for this season/the last few episodes. There’s only so much time left and there’s no way that these writers could come close to paying service to everyone’s pet theories/Easter eggs from the books. I listen to/read some people who get WAY too into the theories. I like them too but at this point I’m starting to just enjoy GoT for what IMO it really is: a well acted, amazingly filmed/produced, and reasonably well written fantasy/adventure series. I’m pretty sure that is what the writers are going for and to expect some hugely intricate ending is probably going to set you up for disappointment.

Anyway, feel free to give your thoughts/opinions/theories and spoilers are welcome.

TLDR: Theories/Opinions/spoilers. Mainly are you enjoying the final season or not and why?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I don't read the books. Waiting for them to be completed first.

Was late to the game on the show. Thought it was Lord of the Rings with boobs and I'm not into Lord of the Rings at all. My nerdiness resides with Star Wars and Marvel comics. And the bounds of both those have been reached. Got into Thrones on season 5 (binged seasons 1-4) and loved it. Last two seasons have lacked imo. Enjoyed this season, but it's not as great as it has been.

My pet theory...

Martin is letting Benioff and Weiss finish to see what people like/don't like and he will adjust accordingly

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have had the same general thought. If the DDs don't stick the landing with a good ending then IF GGRM can actually put out another book(s) with another ending it would probably sell even better. I'm just not sure that Martin can deliver at this point.

• SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't read the books, but I think you're right on the money about the shows. Part of the problem is the large number of people that have binged the show and are now watching it week to week. Binging gives the false impression that the plot and show moved quickly when it has really been a slow burn the whole time.

The other issue other than the ridiculous expectations is the scope of the show. The characters are now all in two places, Winterfell and Kings Landing, instead of scattered with a storyline or two in each location. Now it's one storyline and it by comparison seems drawn out.

I personally am enjoying this season. I would have preferred episodes 1 and 2 combined into one 80 minute show, but that's a nitpick.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do you guys think the Starbucks cup was important?

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think bran ends up on the throne. I mean he can see the **** future

• bigdawg65bigdawg65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My problem is the opposite, I feel like the shows pacing was perfect and recently it’s felt extremely rushed with a bunch of contrived events happening for no good reason other than to even up the odds between dany and cersei

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Based on his most recent interview (reading between the lines), it would take a small miracle for Martin to finish the book series at this point. Just not going to ever happen.

Interesting and fair point. Honestly, I'm just trying to enjoy the ride and not over think it. Not everything has to be the "best thing ever" to be worth watching and it's certainly worth watching.

Side note, isn't all scripted television contrived by definition? 😉

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think Tyrion is actually a midget. He's just been walking around on his knees the entire time and no one has noticed.

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hmm? Maybe in the books he can. I didnt get as far as when he turned into the three eyed raven in those but in the show he can only see the past. Everything in the past but just the past. Plus kinda like Jon but for different reasons he wouldn't want it.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never read the books just got into the show and binged all 4 seasons in a day and was hooked and kept up since.

I don't think about fan theories or such because in 7 days I'll know what the writers have planned.

The interesting thing is that Martin has said he's helped writing on the 3 prequels (Night King story, Mad King story, and another)... So that is whats next and I doubt the books ever see completion and if they donitd probably be same as the show with more details.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sooo....... I guess I’ll wait until the complete series comes out on dvd...

tried to watch one episode and dude was banging his sister... only way they’d be more inbred is if they were a sandwich...

figured I’d give the show another shot after it ended...

• DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I watched the first episode of season one and then started reading the books. I flew through them ther first time and so I went back and read them again. It was a good thing I did because I picked up a lot more the 2nd time since I wasn't in such a hurry to get to the next chapter. During the long wait for book 6 I have actually read all 5 for a third time.

I stopped watching the show once it started passing up the book content. After holding out for a few years I got impatient and started watching again. Now I'm not usually a "the book was better" kind of person but in this case it is so much better. I do like the show though and the later seasons were quite different than the books so I'm not so sure that the final books will end the way the show does.

And I have full confidence that he will finish the books. He started this journey in the early 90's so he's gotta be anxious to conclude it.

After watching this weeks episode I got the feeling that they were setting up Gendry to possibly take the Iron Throne.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Wasn't expecting that dragon death though. They got me good on that one. This season definitely feels more rushed but that's to be expected since its only 6 episodes. Gotta say Sansa pissed me off though and I kinda hope she doesn't make it now.

I'm in a GoT pool and picked Gendry to end up on the Iron Throne before the season. I hope you're right. I've long since wondered if Gendry is the kid Cersei thinks died at birth.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

In the books it was very evident he was the child of a postitute and lived at the brothel until Ned Stark found him.

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I picked the little Lyanna girl to sit on the throne. Then she got killed by a giant.

So...now I'm going with Tyrion. He makes more sense now than any of the others. He's wise and shrewd and pragmatic and the crowd favorite.

I got this horrible feeling that Jon and Dany both get killed. I hope not, but Dany's obvioulsy losing it and Jon will do anything for her, even die.

Jaime kills Cersei, even though she's carrying his baby. Got a feeling it's a Kamakazi thing, though, so he's out. He only left the Amazon blonde because he knows he's the only one that can get close enough to her to do her in. Think of Wolverine killing Jean Grey in the Xmen movies.

The big nerd guy stays up in the north with his wife and kids, so he's out.

The Iron Fleet guy goes kabasso when he finds out the baby is not his and Cersei has the big mountain Zombie guy kill him

Arya has done blew her load killing the Night King, but she does get to kill the Assassin mercenary guy in a thrilling assassin vs assassin battle. Then she rides back to the north and marries Gendry and rules by his side.

The hound guy dies saving Sansa, right after he kills his brother (the mountain guy)

Bran has already been possessed by the spirit of the NIght King....that's one of the four spinoffs HBO has planned.

Brienne rules the armies of the North under Gendry and Arya, and sets up the spinoff of the next Zombie war with Bran and his new and improved Zombies army

Davos rules the armies of Kings landing under Sansa and Tyrion.

One of the dragons is pregnant and has already laid eggs, which we find out about after it dies.....they will hatch out and give us three more dragons for the new dragon queen.....who is gonna be...????

Sansa marries Tyrion and rules as his queen

That's my story...and I'm sticking to it.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Here's a nutty theory I heard today...

Arya and the Hound have already made it to Kings Landing

Arya has killed Cersei and taken her face

Arya does not like Dany and kills Missandei to get her to go all mad queen

This will allow Jon to take the throne