Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

My kingdom for a reliable reliever

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where can we find a closer sooner than later ?

Comments

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I heard there’s a former Brave sitting at home twiddling his thumbs.

• brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well no harm no foul I guess?

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Makes me dream of the Days when Smoltzie was in the pen.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

could releasing Venters mean Kimbrel? i also think we should dump Inciarte for pitching if Riley keeps it up

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anyone have a clue how this team is only 1.5 back? If Kimbrel doesn’t already have an agreement in principle then we might see a budding war break out on June 5th - or whenever the date is when draft compensation falls off. If they miss on Kimbrel then what other options could be available?

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Inciarte is safe, but Joyce sees what's going on and already has a bag packed. Inciarte may start a third of the games, but will replace Riley late a lot, like Charlie is doing right now.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

I'm thinking Kimbrel's loss of velocity and lack of consistent dominance since leaving Atlanta, along with age, is scareing teams off from making a big investment in his services.

It might be in his best interest to sign a 1 or 2 year deal.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It wasn't too long ago that the Phillies had the biggest lead in all divisions because of how much the Braves were floundering, these same Brewers that the Braves have a chance to sweep, yep these same Brewers, took care of that in the week by taking 3 of 4 vs the Phillies, and really honestly should've swept that series (I watched the first game on ESPN and they blew a ton of opportunities). So it really should even just be 1.

I realize that Luke Jackson has a poor track record that he might go back to, but last night would not be the time to grumble about him. The only mistake might've been hitting Hiura, as if Hiura doesn't get hit, those two dumb choppers are most likely fielded. They had a low expected hit probability. So that was not really Luke being bad Luke, it was Luke getting dumb bad luck. Not the time to grumble about the pen there...

edited May 2019

I agree it was bad luck and Luke has been consistently very good for us recently. Wouldn't you still be more comfortable with him pitching the 7th or 8th to set up an experienced closer? To me it depends a bit on if Minter can figure out what the hell is wrong with him

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Winkler has given up just 3 hits and 1 run over his last 10 appearances. Jackson has given up just 2 runs over his last 10 outings and Webb is pitching well. If Newcombe stays in the pen all of a sudden we have the makings of a fairly strong relief core.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Braves bullpen blows another game. They must’ve gone to Vandy, cause they like blowing the admiral.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m forced to re-iterate...this is getting frustrating.

See my comments above. We don’t have a closer and I’m sick and tired of the Scrooge McDuck-level cheapness of Liberty Media

Kimbrel owns a career save percentage around 90%. Give me 90% of the Braves blown saves this year (round it on down to 7) and Atlanta would be 33-16 and up 4.5 games

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's too late for me to take this post seriously but that's noooooooottt exactly how this bad boy works at all. I'll give a more detailed post in the morning,

edited May 2019

Of course not, but it’s 2 in the morning, I’m tired, and I need somebody to blame so let me shout my nonsense in peace

21 save opportunities this year and we’ve only converted 13 of them. You don’t think there’s any kind of improvement to be found in there?

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unfortunately, I watched last night as the Braves entered the bottom of the 9th up 3 to 1 only to lose 4 to 3. Pitiful!!!

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

and to the lowly Giants!!!