Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

My kingdom for a reliable reliever

2»

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

We likely wouldn't get the Kimbrel who was the best in the game and has a 90% save percentage. He has had just 1 dominant season since leaving The Braves 4 years ago.

That said, we win last night's game with him closing 99 out of a 100 times. I want to sign him at a reasonable cost. When a buyer desperately needs something and it's in very short supply it's a sellers market though. What would be over paying when you have other viable options can be a bargain when the ship is taking on water....JUST SIGN HIM. It's not as if he'll cost max money like star position players got this past off season. What the heck, 15 million a year ain't so much in context to need and the crazy money the organization is taking in now.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg Since leaving Atlanta, Kimbrel has blown 15 saves in 162 opportunities, which gives him a 92.6% success rate

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe we sign him on the day after the draft

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

You know... last night I didn't remember to account for the fact that some of those blown saves were actually wins anyway.

Still, there are 3 games where Kimbrel would have been a better option than what Snit lobbed out there to close.

April 27th vs. Colorado, Braves up 5-4, Minter allows 4 runs in the 9th, Braves lose 9-5

May 9 vs. Arizona, Braves up 2-1, Minter allows a two-out home run in the 9th, Braves lose 3-2

May 21 vs. San Francisco, Braves up 3-1, Jackson allows 3 runs in the 9th, Braves lose 4-3

There are also a number of games in which Atlanta came into the 9th tied, only to give up game-ending runs late

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Liberty has more money than it knows what to do with and still refuses to spend. If it continues, the fans will have to go on strike and not attend games or watch on TV. No buying Braves gear, etc. Have to hit them in their pocketbooks. Unfortunately, I don't think enough people would get on board with this, therefore the Braves will be like the Pirates, aka mediocre with a run at the playoffs every so often while the organization sits on a pile of cash.

Let's take a live look at the Braves ownership this morning after another terrible bullpen performance:

edited May 2019

The site I looked at just now didn't list blown saves or save percentage. What it did show is ERA and advanced metrics. By most of those measures Craig has slipped considerably since leaving Atlanta. Only his 2017 season ranks with any of his years with The Braves. Also you're not buying last year's player, you're buying what he is projected to be over the years of his new contract. Since his velocity has gone down it's probably going to decline more, which will make his off speed stuff less effective as well unless he changes his approach a bit.

Still, he will probably be far superior to anybody on staff and likely anybody in our minor league system as well for years to come.

CTDawg. If you project over a full season that comes to something like 10 more wins. If a starting pitcher gave you 10 more wins than your other options you'd open the bank vault wide..unless you're a miserly crap-pit like Liberty.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're also missing 1 tiny little point here also, which is the other reason why I said "this is not how any of this works". You can get a blown save at any point in the game if you're a reliever, yes, you can get one in the 6th as well. Let us review one prime case in which I think no one can spin it:

April 16th vs Arizona: Sobotka hits two batters and is allowed to pitch to another for some reason to load the bases. This is an impossible situation to avoid giving up runs unless you're excellent at missing bats. There was a blown save here before the 9th and I'd also direct blame on Snitker here (this was a bullpen/Snitker loss and for a while it threatened to put the Braves in a funk). I'd be out of the dugout after the 2nd HBP and for the record, Sobotka has disappeared off the face of the earth so far as well.

The next Arizona game was not a save scenario. I guess if you want to, blame it on the pen, but I'd direct it on the offense instead. Godley throws a lot of balls, and our aggressive hitters were swinging away on him iirc. It was a very bad approach outside of 1 inning.