Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

OT: Yeti Roadie

SouthCarolinaDawgSouthCarolinaDawg Posts: 49 ✭✭ Sophomore

Looking to buy a yeti in the next few days for this summer. Anything I should know about that would stop be from buying or motivate me to want it even more? Do y’all like yours?

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do you need to keep food cold for 5-7 days straight without access to ice? Or is it going to stay in the same place all the time? If not, then they aren't worth toting around 100 lb coolers. IMO

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Waste of money. The roadie isnt even big enough to double as a fishing platform on a boat, which is actually the best reason to buy a molded cooler. The effeciency of a yeti cooler has been greatly exaggerated. Lots of alternatives at significant savings are available.

• GolfdawgGolfdawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

The Rtic coolers test out as good if not better at less than half the price. Unless you feel the need for th Yeti name tag, go with the Rtic.

• ghostghost Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior

looked for an hour at them today before finally coming to my senses and walking off. You can buy a lot of different things for what one of them cost.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a few yeti coolers & cups. I have enjoyed them pretty much every day. One could make the argument they are over priced and another could say you get what you pay for

I work outside and my 65 stays outside. It has been through the elements and keeps on trucking. Doesn’t matter if it’s used for drinks or settling bbq... it works and don’t have too move it.

Use their 12 soft side cooler for a lunch box and events. Keeps things cool for at least 2 days with just an ice pack

use the 1 gallon container for water each day and it hold ice for 2 days. It’s also gets thrown around

People bash them because it’s the trend but the stuff works and lasts. I personally would not buy a roadie. I had one and sold it to purchase a soft side square cooler. It is much more convenient. I’m not sure if what your intentions are with it, but I would look into the soft side coolers before the roadie

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

you could be right, but my 65 holds ice for days. It’s paid for itself. Yeti says it will work and their products have for me over the years. I will say I think their cups are gimmicks outside of the gallon jug I use every day. Sucker holds ice for days as well.

edited May 2019

Once you get them cold, they will stay cold for a while. I've just found the other brands do the same thing. In fact, I loaded a lightweight $16 igloo cooler on a horse pannier bag in September when I went elk hunting. It kept ice for 5 days under a tarp.

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have purchased several of the RTIC . Hard shelled ones can’t be beat. Soft shell RTICwill not hold ice very long at all. Hard shell is good for 5-7 days .

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My oldest boy bought an Ozark Trails cooler that pretty much does the same things as a Yeti for a hell of a lot less money. It's kind of like when Yeti sold the cups for 40 bucks... Ozark Trail sold them for 10, and got the same performance rating.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’d go with the Rtic. We have a Yeti Roadie, but only because the wife wanted one for some reason. The Yeti works as advertised and keeps stuff cold remarkably well, but I hear that the Rtic does as well. Save your money and get the Rtic. My wife simply had to have a “Yeti” for the boat.

• bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

When you don't have a fancy cooler:

Wrap a couple large pieces of dry ice in a newspaper or towel and place them in the bottom of the cooler. Pack cooler as you normally would with normal ice and etc...normal ice will still be there 2-3 days later

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Buy one of their bags. It's their best product IMO. I have an older smaller bag and it's awesome. Very versatile. As far as the cups and hard shell coolers go, like others have already mentioned, RTIC is the exact same for a fraction of the price

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you spend a lot of extended time in the wilderness maybe it would be worth it. If you spend a week or 2 a year in the woods and it's no trouble to buy ice every 3 days then I wouldn't buy one.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My Colman extreme will keep ice as long as any molded cooler. You tube vids to prove it. Mine was $29.

It’s the complete opposite. If you spend a lot of time in the wilderness then they are WAY too heavy. Those yeti type coolers are only good for your house, a boat, or carrying in a vehicle. For serious wilderness activities where you can actually load a cooler on a horse the only way to go is cheap and lightweight. keep it in the shade or even dig a hole for it. I seriously kept ice for 5 days 6 miles from the nearest gravel road in a $16 igloo from walmart by being thoughtful about where we kept it and keeping it closed. Never once got below freezing. Highs were 70 during the day.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Leave my Yeti in the back of my truck 24/7. Freshen it up with about 2 lbs of ice in it every 4th or 5th day. Always leave an inch or so of water in the bottom. Keeps my Mello Yellos & wife’s Diet Cokes ice cold. Got a Yeti coozie that I keep in the fridge until ready for use. Can’t prove it but it seems to keep the drink colder for a longer period of time. But the best Yeti we have is the one we use for coffee. I make my coffee at 5:50 every morning and it keeps it warm until about 9:00. Yes, I know, but I’m not big on coffee though I do like the caffeine in the morning.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bank. I didn't mean hiking, I meant far away from an ice machine. Few people actually move more than a few feet from the comforts of their camps. So again, if you're going to be in camp for more than 3 days, the Yeti might make sense. If you're like 99% or more of situations where a cooler is used, any decent cooler will keep things reasonably cool for 3 days. Use common sense of course, keep the cooler out of direct sun.