Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Nic Claxton to the NBA...Rodney Howard to UGA..

superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is what I'm hearing....Claxton is saying he hasn't made a decision yet, but all arrows are pointing to staying in the draft and Howard is waiting on Claxton's decision to decide if the depth chart looks enticing at UGA...

Comments

• HornedDawgsHornedDawgs Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its probably best for him to stay in the draft. A lot more mouths to feed on the team next year

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, but if he comes back the team "could" be a contender in Creans 2nd year...

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Last pick in the 1st round I believe is around $9 million dollars. Not a bad pay day.

"The No. 14 player taken in the 2018 NBA Draft — Michael Porter Jr. — signed a rookie contract that could be worth $15.4 million over the course of four years. The No. 30 pick — Omari Spelleman — signed a contract that could reportedly pay as much as $9.29 million over four years."

Hard to say no if he's a 1st round pick. Also benefits UGA in recruiting as well.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Decision is pretty simple--If he is a guaranteed first round pick, he goes and will sign a guaranteed contract for $10 million over 4 years. If he is not a guaranteed first round pick, he comes back and tries to become a guaranteed first round pick. Not much job security in being a 2nd round pick.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The mocks I've seen said mid to late 20s for Claxton. Seems to be a roll of the dice, but not a bad decision. I hope he gets picked in the first for sure. I think his ceiling is pretty decent.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he comes back, he can develop his game and be an even higher draft choice and make more $$$$. IMHO, bad move to leave now.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

A lot of the prospect guys think he's going to really start shooting up boards now though, with one even commenting that he sees him quite possibly going late lottery. Just can't teach being near 7 feet and length along with some of his skillsets (although the offensive ones could use improvement).

• Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am all for him going to the NBA and getting his money, but I hope he is ready to spend the majority of the season in the G league. That can be tough on a young kid who thinks hes going to be living that NBA lifestyle.

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As much as I want him to stay, I think he won’t see the ball as much as this past season. That could hurt his PPG and maybe his draft.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I can't find my comment where I said he was def going in the draft

• joe_rush45joe_rush45 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Didn’t see a single mock that had Nic drafted 1st round ; can you guys post that mock draft

• loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Athletic has him going 26th to Cleveland. He’s had several private workouts with teams recently. All it will take is one of those teams saying something to encourage him to stay in the draft. He seems pretty torn as of late and I don’t blame him.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tough break for our team, but it’s another Dawg in the NBA. That helps us. Now, let’s see if we have someone ready to fill the gap. Anyone know of a 7’6” kid who can dominate the boards, drain threes and run the floor?

I think collectively with the talent coming in, they can replace the production. The size is what we can’t replace

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, you can’t train someone to grow over 7’. If we do end up getting Howard, that will help. We have no depth at center now and no one who you think would be a starter on a tournament team. Maybe I’m setting expectations too high, but this team has a chance to go deep in the tournament.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have to imagine that we now see (at least at the start):

Gresham

Edwards

Harris

Hammonds

Ngumezi (the catch however is quite possibly just 15 MPG)

However past that, we see a lot of Auburn type stuff with 4 wings plus a big (Howard seems a lot like freshman Claxton if he comes in that he's very talented but raw, so I would expect him to probably just play spot minutes). It's not exactly ideal, but they made it work.

Wheeler/Walton/Brown/Howard mainly off the bench with Camara getting spot minutes (feel this way since he's raw) and Crump getting occasional minutes during foul trouble problems.

It wouldn't surprise me if Wheeler/Gresham/Edwards/Brown/Hammonds ended up popping up a good bit as a lineup. With 4-star freshmen, you don't really know if they're going to contribute, so I'm looking at the guys that I think are most likely to (Brown was a former 5 star and Wheeler looks underrated).

Is Howard 100% able to transfer from Ole Miss and start immediately?

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

he’s not transferring. he never enrolled, he just needs a release from his LOI. same process as Wheeler.