Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Senior Health And Fitness Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited May 2019 in Off Topic

I know that many of our forum members are considered senior citizens, myself included. Today celebrates the need for seniors to develop and maintain fitness. One thing that has remained pretty constant in my life has been the role of exercise. I have occasional periods where I get "lazy" but the usually don't last too long. I have been blessed with good health up until this point in time and I believe that exercise has played a major role in that health.

I read an article in yesterday's Gainesville (FL) Sun that cited a huge European study and suggests seniors need to move, move more often and move quickly. The idea of moving quickly is to develop/maintain power. According to the authors power is more important that strength for seniors, especially in the lower body.

For example, getting up out of a chair requires more power than simple strength. An easy exercise is to sit and stand up several times, take a break and repeat a couple more times.

At any rate, I hope all of our seniors will use today as a spring board to either start or improve upon our fitness levels. For you younger whippersnappers, perhaps you can join with a special senior of yours today and do some exercise too.

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll turn 63 in 2 weeks. I'm not fat and I have good muscle tone. It's wasted by a bad back and neck though. Still It's far better than being fat, having poor cardio and having my problems as well.

Do what you can and you'll be better off.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a senior, but in the mornings I feel like it more often than not. I need to stretch more, eat better and get back on the ole road cycle. Riding bikes, reckless younger years, and my work are catching up to me. I thought I was invincible, but I guess I couldn’t beat the system.

Good news, I got the cycle all prepped for the road this past weekend. Just have to hop on it now

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

I need to donm bro. My plans are to start small.... just hoping the motivation comes again since my issue on the road years ago. I guess the motivation is there but haven’t actually got on the bike again haha.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Golf three days per week (weather permitting), the Y three times per week, eating healthier and I’m still overweight. Being 72 is tough but I’m not giving up.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@AndersonDawg You have my up most respect in serving our country, being here and chatting with us and "not giving up." Kudos Brother!

I turned 60 at the first of the year and even though I'm not as fit as I once was, It felt good to spend a day yesterday helping my 89 year old dad and 87 year old mom do some things around the house that they "wanted" to do, but didn't need to be doing themselves. I was tired and sore today, but your post just made it all go away. 'I'm not giving up!" as long as I can lend a helping hand.....

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been doing some landscaping for my father in-law this week. Between the heat and health issues it’s been rough but man I love it.