Home Diamond Dawgs Baseball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Diamond Dawgs

Comments

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is just embarrassing

• Options
    HornedDawgsHornedDawgs Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To quote George R R Martin- “If you think this has a happy ending you haven’t been paying attention.”

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well well , have to pull for Free Shoes

• Options
    LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Onto football...

• Options
    TxDawg412TxDawg412 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

Frustrating end to a great season.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A really good season that fell a little short of great. Stricklin is going to have to get some bats. I love the arms but we have no one at the plate that opposing teams consistently fear. No Jeff Keppinger, Josh Morris or Gordon Beckham-type bat that made the other team nervous every time they came up. Granted, FSU got hot at just the right time for them. They did things in this regional they haven't done all season. Kudos to them. Hopefully the Dawgs can re-group and come back stronger next year. Should have some elite arms again.

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Choked. Sorry, no other way to explain it.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Listening to Stricklin and some of our players after being booted from the tourney I really question Stricklin's ability to get his players in a proper frame of mind. It reminded me of how Marv Levi talked after a Super Bowl loss. Sort of, oh well, what can you do ?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A sport psychologist can often help coaches with establishing effective mind sets.

• Options
    jb6423jb6423 Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

What juniors do you think are gone? I say Schunk will leave, more than likely Locey although I think he may come back for one more year.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Locey is 4th/5th round per at least 1 source (Schunk is late 3rd/early 4th per the same source). In football that'd be a different story but with pro baseball, he is as good as gone.

• Options

That's a couple of rounds earlier than I would have guessed for each of them but who knows. There's way more movement based on individual team evaluations in the MLB draft than any of the other major sports. Best of luck to any Dawgs that get drafted.

On a related note, I saw that the SS we signed out of Blessed Trinity is projected to go top 10 later on today.

• Options

Even if they weren't, baseball is different than football in which if a player wants to turn pro, they're going to go no matter where they're drafted unless it's way down there. But the deal is different with Schunk, he's an actual real MLB draft prospect this go around with a real shot at being an MLB player in the future, perhaps part of why is because this draft is "down", but it's real (top 100 in mlb.com and Perfect Game and Locey is not far from the same). Only way that both are not gone is if they were so completely embarrassed on Sunday that they choose to turn down deals, but it's risky to go in as senior signs so yeah...they are gone.

• Options

Oh, I think you're right. Hate to see them go. Baseball is definitely different in terms of the draft process. This is a pivotal window for Stricklin. This year as a whole has bought him some time. He's going to have to continue to make strides, though. If he doesn't I think we're looking for a coach again in a couple of years.

• Options

Aaron Schunk got taken at #62 by Colorado.

Higher than even I thought would happen. Good luck in the pros.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

he'll enjoy that rare air up there. was he taken as an infielder or a pitcher?

• Options
    edited June 2019

In the scouting reports I read, teams had wanted him as a position player, but with the Rockies I'm thinking that if he's not trade bait eventually, they might very well try him as a two way player (as that's starting to gain some popularity) that hits, pitches, and plays 3B/1B/a little OF.

That's as long as he continues to hit in pro ball.

• Options

Tony Locey in the 3rd at #96. So two top 100 selections for Georgia.

• Options

Tim Elliott went in the 4th. Now this one is a touch surprising, it'd be good to have him back, but he's now likely gone.