Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Excluding natural disasters (tornados, hurricanes, etc) what is the worst weather you have ever witn

texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited June 2019 in General

About 1:30 yesterday my son and I drove through, then pulled over and sat through, the worst weather I have ever seen that wasn't caused by a tornado or hurricane.

80 plus mph straight line winds. Trees down everywhere. The most debris I have ever seen. Very scary situation.

10 minutes before the storm hit we were in a baseball game. The umpires kept the game going as they contemplated what to do. I called time out and told the ump that I didn't care what the other team was going to do but I was taking my team off the field.

I'm 52 years old and I have never seen weather like that before.

What was the worst you have been through?

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

About the same. I've been through some storms where you just couldn't keep driving. Pull over under a bridge if possible and wait it out. I mean it seriously felt like driving through a friggin waterfall!

One time when we were kids, me and a buddy were driving around on a dirt bike motorcycle. Old XR 125 type of bike. Anyway, it start sleeting on us. Riding on a motorcycle without a helmet with freezing sleet stinging your face is not fun.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I was in Bali, Indonesia last year it only rained once in two weeks. When it did rain, it was the worst I have ever seen. There were practically rivers going down the streets and water was high enough that it was going into people’s shops and homes; people were trying to sweep the water away from their doors.

We were in a van with a tour guide, but almost everybody there walks or rides little scooters around and they were just getting pummeled by rain. The drainage systems in Bali aren’t very good, so they were getting overwhelmed with the amount of water. It took us around two hours to go about two miles.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I took the long way back after rafting on The Gauley River in WV in 1993. I decided to camp on Hatteras Point on The Outer Banks and failed to check the weather. A really nasty Nor'easter blew in that night and swamped the camp site which was feet from the south and Atlantic side on the beach. There was maybe 10 people there and it looked like we'd have to break into The Famous lighthouse nearby or get swept out to sea.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

I was camped out during a hunt when a major atmospheric event occurred, during which time a hundred or more shooting stars were flying overhead every hour during the night for two days. Thankfully, none of them hit our campsite. 😂

• SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We went to Iceland this winter and got hit by a blizzard while driving. They were pulling cars out of the snow banks. We somehow made it to where we were going, but my hand prints will forever be embedded in that steering wheel.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

My wife when she's hangry is never a good day

• KeithsaxonKeithsaxon Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel your pain MODawg. Driving in upper Saskatchewan in the worst blizzard I have ever seen,-28 degrees and no shoulder to pull off onto!

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

& running it in a Kayak will earn you 2 man points. Have to add if after a good rain, you've ever run the Green in a Yak you earn 3 Man points.

RXDawg. I rafted The Gauley every Sep. from 1991 thru 1997 when we moved to Colorado. After that The headwaters of The Arkansas was my annual float. I also took up kayaking and got pretty good at it.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This good stuff

edited June 2019

Dawgbones. Rain isn't much of a factor on The Gauley. It's volume comes from releasing water in September and October from Lake Summerville.

CTDawg. My first rafting was on The Nantahala as a Boy Scout as well. I must have been around 12 years old. Back then there wasn't a professional operation, we brought our own equipment. I think The Nantahala whitewater operators were the first pros, that happened in the 1970s.

A shout out to Scout Troop 16 Cedartown, Ga. though it's not still around.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WC, since you lived over in Black Mt I figured you might have done the Green. It's just south of Asheville around Tuxedo. Many moons ago I ran the Narrows section right after a heavy rain. I was paddling an old Eskimo Topo and afterwards was glad to still be alive. Young bloods tried to get me to do Linville gorge but fortunately I was just scared enough to be that stuppid.

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Don't get loads into Canada but Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming are nightmares in the winter, so I can see it being worse up there. It probably looked like you were driving in the North Pole.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

was 85, slightly cloudy/mostly sunny, and moderate humidity the entire week of my honeymoon. I struggled with wanting to be outside and wanting to be in the bedroom

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Troop 444 in Marietta, GA. Eagled right before my 18th birthday!

I tried it... I could never get the flip down. Especially in running water.