Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Fear of Failure

LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
edited June 2019 in General
All, I had a discussion with an employee today that said he had no fear of failure. That struck me as wrong. Bear with me, I will get to my point. Whether in business or college football, you have to be hungry to succeed. We love dissecting the details of our Dawgs. The fact we have more talent now than ever assembled means there are several young men that are in that mode of winning out over their brothers to start. The ones that don’t take anything for granted and have a healthy “fear of failure” are likely going to come out on top.

Comments

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No fear of failure either means you’re an ego maniac or simply don’t give a bull plop.

In either case, not a trait you want in an employee or a player.
  • LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am a pessimist, I fear failure every time we tee the ball up. Just had my hopes dashed too many times. I want a perfect season so bad, I can taste it, and I dont have many tasting years left.

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Hang in there Tucky! We are closer than ever. I’d bet this is the year. Incidentally I lIved in N KY as a kid.  
  • mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Alternate view:  
    Embracing failure as normal and an opportunity to grow and be resilient is a good thing.  He may not fear failure in the sense that he knows failure can be turned into an opportunity for growth.   Like saying I’m not afraid of medicine.  Might taste bad but helps me get better.
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

mattmd2. Failure sucs . No competitor should feel good about losing, it's a fine line we start learning in little league and on the playground. I've read biographies of champions, some are driven by fear of failure, others seem more focused on the positive. They all have one thing in common though, a drive to succeed.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fear of failure can lead some to not take chances. Don't fear failure , fear not being good enough and prepared enough to do what needs to be done.

FYI. Larry Bird's autobiography has a one word title...''DRIVE''.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Fear of failure prevents progress. It's one of the biggest problems with how we teach students. Need to have a 100 bad ideas before you get 1 good one.
  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

d

In doing research for a book "They Psychology of Champions" a colleague and I found that many great athletes fear failure but have great confidence in their ability to take the steps (the process) necessary to succeed. The "drive" to avoid failure or the fear of failure can be counterproductive (it sets the stage for anxiety) unless there is a positive (confidence) to counterbalance it. That's a bit of a simplification but still a good way to look at it. At least we thought so.

edited June 2019

donm. No doubt believing in yourself is essential. Clearly Larry Bird didn't want to return to French Lick and waste away in booze like his father did. That was a driving force. He had ultimate drive and confidence in his abilities though. If takes moxie to walk into a locker room at The NBA all star game filled with the best players on the planet and ask who was coming in second in the 3rd point shooting contest like he did. The point being Larry Bird had already decided he was going to be the winner.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good and bad, maybe. Fear that paralyzes you - bad. Fear that motivates you to take the task seriously and put your best effort - good. An employee that does not fear failure may not be challenged enough.

edited June 2019

Office Space, what a great movie, I should have listed it on my all time favorites. I have to admire a man who is willing to work to accomplish his dream of doing nothing.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think this is a very interesting subject. It sparks a question for me: What's the biggest difference in a fierce competitor and a winner?

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fear of failure is a big no no where I work. As long as you are trying and bringing new ideas to the table, they don't care if something fails. At least you are trying to be innovative. Which they value very highly.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is that assuming a fierce competitor never wins? The most fierce competitors I know are extremely successful