Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

GSW say Durant's #35 will be retired. Is it justified to retire a player's jersey after only 3 yrs?

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Article on ESPN. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27098829/warriors-thank-durant-say-retire-no-35

Do you have a minimum number of years of service before retiring a number?

I just don't see how a franchise can justify retiring a number after only 3 seasons, even with their 2 titles. I don't kown how many years it would be but certainly more than 3.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    This is dumb and cheapens the idea of retiring numbers
  • dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    They will also have to retire like 4 other jerseys.
  • Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    He won them two ships. This year we could see that w/o KD chance they may not make it to the finals or win em. 
  • MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    So one of the premier players in League history joins an All Star team because he couldn't win a Championship with the loaded roster featuring Russell Westbrook that he was on previously, deserves to have his jersey retired after winning back to back chips on a team that was competing for and winning Championships w/o him. 😂😂😂 No. It ain't like he's LeBron or Khawi or anything. Mentally fragile players shouldn't b honored to that extent. Now, Andre Igudaula, Steph, Klay and Draymond? Sure, I can wrap my head around that but Durant? Again. 😂😂😂😂

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's like Lebron, he goes wherever he thinks the current opportunity serves him best. No I don't think he should have such an honor bestowed on him, he was a rental. Cleveland should retire Lebron's number, but neither Miami or The Lakers should.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with players leaving a team to go elsewhere for whatever reason, but Durant left a contender to join an All Star team that fared pretty **** well w/o him to basically ensure that he doesn't retire w/o a ring ala Dominique, A.I., Ewing, Barkley and others. No, he absolutely does not deserve to have his jersey retired.
  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think retiring numbers is a blatant religious statement. Stay with me on this.

If enough time passes, then there aren't enough "numbers" ** to field a team. One must postulate that an "end time" event must occur ere that happens.

By "end time" I am keeping it generic, but all? religions have some "end time" event. What with "no religious preference" folks being the second most represented "religious" category in 'Murica, perhaps the major sports should re-think the retiring the jerseys thing.

Just another view for you discerning folks.  The "end times" can't get here soon enough. Nor the 2019 season.

/ ** Another aspect to this are the "only integer" hooligans - only whole numbers can be on sports jerseys. Really? Cannot deal with π {Pi symbol} or 11.1, or, how's this? - the Octal or the Hexadecimal? 

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No way 3 years should get a jersey retired unless it was an extraordinary or tragic circumstance.

This feels a lot like hall of fame debates for marginal players...everybody gets a trophy /s

• hpDawg4LifehpDawg4Life Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I'm not sure the intent was to retire #35 altogether. What I understood was that the current GM said nobody would wear it while he was in place....

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Somebody get Zaza's number in the rafters RIGHT NOW.

Zaza Pachulia: 2-0 in Finals appearances

Kevin Durant: 2-2

End of discussion.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    It would be like the Hawks retiring Dwight Howard’s Jersey. Except Howard didn’t do anything while here, but you get the point.