Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Fried Chicken Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The United States, on July 6th, recognizes National Fried Chicken Day. On this day, fried chicken lovers across the country celebrate this American favorite at a nearby restaurant, home, or an outdoor picnic.

Scottish immigrants brought their tradition of deep-frying chicken in fat to the southern United States. After its introduction to the American South, fried chicken soon became a staple. Over time, seasonings and spices were added to enrich the flavor of the chicken.

Fried chicken is a dish that consists of chicken pieces which have been floured or battered then pan-fried, deep-fried or pressure-fried. The breading adds a crisp coating to the exterior of the chicken. Knowing how to get a good crisp on the chicken may seem elusive to some. However, some of the best cooks will tell you the keys to achieving the crispiest fried chicken involves seasoning well and early in the process, adding starch to your flour and frying your chicken at the right temperature. The oil should be 300°F. Finally, let the chicken rest before serving to allow the juices to be absorbed back into the meat. Just like beef and pork, the chicken will be more tender when we allow it to rest. 

This is what "they" say. What say you 5* chefs?

Thanks also to the Scots for their contribution to bluegrass music and for Sean Connery.

Comments

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

I have yet to do a "hot chicken" recipe. The wife doesn't go for the spices like I do. So in the near future, I'm going to try the "Nashville Hot" fried chicken recipe....she can have a bologna sandwich....

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    If you’re ever in nyc you owe it to yourself to go to bobwhite lunch and supper counter. Closest to food from home I’ve had in the city
  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @ghostofuga1, yo ghost bro you ain’t missing anything on the Nashville hot chicken. Live 30 minutesish outside of Nashville and tried all the top joints. Even tried it with waffles... I don’t get it...
  • greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I vote for JCT Kitchen as the best in the Atlanta area. 
  • WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Chicken Fried in Pine Mountain!
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

I do love fried chicken. Which reminds me, I'm not giving up my efforts to have National Fight A Grizzly Bear Day officially declared. We already celebrate it in our home.