Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Eyeball Test

Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

By appearances alone I'm thinking Dawgs did OK in this trade.

Comments

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dunno....Hasslewood has better hair.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Can we get a current side by side comparison?

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jaden is faster in the 40 and quicker on the shuttle. Also has the higher vertical. But Pcikens certainly looks much bigger.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since Pickens didn't play in the G-Day game I found one from an All-American game. The other is from the OU spring game.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pickens would dwarf Hines Ward and Mecole but would you make that trade just based on your eyeballs?

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pickens is a GAM

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I don't think the eyeball test tells us much when it comes to receivers. Randy Moss was reed thin.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pickens looks like he fits into our system much better than Haselwood. I don't think Pickens will have any trouble being physical in the run game. Doubt Haselwood enjoys blocking much.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Going up and getting the 50-50 balls is what separates the men from the boys.

Pickens looks like he might be better at that but right now who knows?

• Herschel_TalkerHerschel_Talker Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Teddy They are both 5 star WRs, which means they have little flaws. These are the only possible flaws that I could see on signing day.

Hasslewood may be a great blocker, but there was talk that our system and heavy emphasis on the run game, which in turn asks more of WRs to block, may have caused the decommitment. There was word of this for months.

The attitude questions may be nothing also, but it came up after the decommitment because of the over the top, "look at me", take the helmet off, celebrations in the playoffs and All American game. There was some who mentioned this before the decommitment. It should be noted that Sentell did not agree with that.

I still would have chosen JH on signing day, but if I had known that GP would qualify, I think it's a toss up......given the above possible questions.

Maybe not. But I'm sure that if I was given the chance to trade Pickens back for him based on what I know now, I wouldn't do it.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The keywords there are UGA's "emphasis on the run" is what likely caused the decommitment (along with wanting to play with Fields), not that he was afraid to block. He wanted to go to an offense where he'd catch the ball more, can't blame him for that.

You know how many players celebrate like that at these national exhibition camps/games? A mountain was made of a molehill here. Mainly because he was no longer coming to UGA. I'm not saying Haselwood is a flawless individual, just saying you could sit back and watch this board (and UGA fans in general) slowly turn on him, all because they could see he wasn't going to be a Dawg.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Antonio Brown also looks WNBA ready. Just sayin' - the eyeball test is pretty worthless with WRs.. Look at the size of the guys drafted in the first two rounds of this years draft. Most were smaller.

Bank, you’ve convinced me that height and weight are worthless in player evaluation. Thank you.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big or small, just need someone to catch the ball. Players gonna play !