Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is UGA in for another QB drought?

johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think there can be any doubt as to unprecedented recruiting success that Kirby and his staff have brought to Georgia. I personally have some concern about where we go after Jake Fromm exits UGA. This might be the most difficult position to recruit given the fact that these high profile guys expect to play right away. Yes, it's a team sport, but there's no doubt that the guy who handles the ball on almost every offensive play is critical to the ultimate goal of winning national championships. I hope we are not about to enter another Hutson Mason, Greyson Lambert era. I'm not 100% sold on what we have in the cupboard and what's on the way.

Comments

• johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

You know...that's the guy I want to see! I hope he is fully healthy and safe to play. This could be a true diamond in the rough.

Maybe if he was playing for a group of 5 school. Not an SEC quarterback though.

• Chasey7Chasey7 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

I wouldn’t worry we had 3 5 star recruits 3 years in a row it is clear we will keep getting 5 star quarterbacks while Kirby is still coaching because personally to me he is one of the best recruiters in college football.

I think this is a critical year. Maybe Kirby is a bit gun shy after the Fields situation. Not sure Carson Beck is the answer. In an ideal world this would have been the year that Fields or someone like him would be coming in as a freshman. Timing is everything.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Huh? Yeah, like we also have a problem with our O line and RBs? 🙄 We are fine. Relax.

• ChambuloChambulo Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why are you unsure of Beck being the answer? Admittedly I am not a great evaluator of talent, so I rely on others' opinions, Jeff's articles, and of course recruiting rankings. Beck seems to be 3 for 3 on all of those criteria. Sounds like he had a less than stellar Opening Finals, but not to the point to cause concern. So I am curious why you are doubtful of him when most others are fairly high on his potential? Is it simply because he is not a dual threat?

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Carson Beck will prove to be close to ideal running our offense. To me The people running this year's Opening greatly favored things like rolling out and throwing on the run which at most are minor considerations in our system. Beleive what we see on his junior season highlights video.

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Beck's football IQ and general QB intelligence is anything close to Fromm's, we're good. Also Mathis and Bennett get a turn to compete too. Don't forget that.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nope. No more Hudson Mason's, Brice Ramsey's, Joe Coxes, Faton Bautas (Who?🤔🤔🤔) or Grayson Lambert's.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But seriously Beck is a very impressive QB prospect on the hoof. Already stands 6'5 easy. No he ain't Chopped Liver now but like all of them he'll need time but it looks like the raw tools r there. And this is from my untrained eye.

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see 3 talented qbs on the roster, with another on the way....where's the problem....Lambert would be 4th team this year

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby got Fromm, I’m excited about Dwn Mathis as well, as e have a top Pro style on bird with Beck who is close to a 5 star. The next best DT QB wants to be a dawg....

where are we getting this from?