Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another ho-hum great game by Atlanta. First time since June 28 that we've set down the 9th inning in 1-2-3 fasion

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

News flash...winning is fun. Two big deals other than winning. Max looked good and Luke Jackson looked REALLY good. We're now on pace to win 98 games, if we win our next game we'll on pace to win 99. I like the sound of 100 better.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fried got a quiet 10 win season going on right now. I project 15 to 20 wins on tap for him. This requires him to remain healthy.

• Options

Would anybody be interested in seeing Newcomb at closer? Luke has been effective, but I fear his fastball-slider combo just might be too predictable come October

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would rather us acquire 2 other good bullpen arms and play matchups instead of having a closer. Having your best arms pitch in the highest leverage situations is smart, but I’ve always felt like having a single guy always getting the last 3 outs of a game, regardless of who is up for the other team isn’t the smartest thing. Unless you have a peak Kimbrel or like a Chapman or Mariano Rivera, i would rather us just pitch relievers who have platoon advantages.

• Options

CTDawg. Fastball-slider has been maybe the best 1-2 combo for power pitchers with Good control over at least the past 50 years. When Jackson has command like he did last night It's devastating .

• Options

Good point. It seems like once in a while Luke comes out there with the mindset that he's going to destroy people. I want to see that version every time we need him.

That said, you still think we swing a trade for a true closer? I always lean towards elite starting pitching, especially come the postseason. A Top 3 of Bumgarner, Keuchel, and Soroka would make me feel pretty good.

• Options

CTDawg. Granted last night was the first time I didn't sense impending disaster on every pitch Jackson threw. It's very questionable whether he'll ever gain consistent control, so stay tuned. To my thinking if a pitcher can add a consistently deceptive changeup like Smoltz did to the fastball/slider and be consistent with all 3 pitches you've got the trifecta.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's crazy to think the bullpen has the best ERA over the past few months, considering I've had my butt-clinched more often than not when they come in (generally a lead off walk gets the blood boiling). Whatever works I guess, because I'm enjoying this ride so far.

• Options

I think Jackson is doing it intentionally so that Culberson and Markakis can make the 2019 highlight reel

• Options

Teddy. Last I ch3cked we were 3rd in MLB in saves with 28. I agree, It's hard to reconcile the drama with the stats.

• Options

Braves management hasn't made many bad moves of late, bringing the Ynoa kid all the way up from single A and letting him get hammered for 6 runs in 1 inning seems like a bad 1 though.

If the idea was to showcase him for a potential trade next week I'd say it didn't improve his market value.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wilson, Touki, and Ynoa all looked like they’re not ready for the majors. Would love to see Folty and Gausman get things figured out at Gwinnett and come back up throwing like they did last year, not holding out much hope though. Touki seems to have good stuff, has to get better command.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm more of a casual fan these days. So I'm not familiar with all the ball parks. Even part of Wrigley looks so different now. So when I see Miller Park I'm wondering what that large steel superstructure is. It looks like a large overpass that could serve as a walk way for people. Only, you don't see people walking on it. Might serve as a slight distraction to the hitters if they did.

So that's what a retractable roof can look like. And it does provide an interesting architectural feature.

• Options

Coastal. I question Wilson's ceiling as well as his current level of preparedness. Touki has a very live arm but he always looks like somebody just sewed it on a person who has little idea what to do with it.

Those 2 come under the file they are what they are, the kid from single A looks like he was bum rushed to Atlanta. I wonder if his minor league pitching coach and manager might have oversold him to top management ? Hopefully no long term damage was done to his self esteem from the brutal welcome he got from Brewers hitters.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ynoa's on the 40 man because otherwise, he'd have been lost to a bad team snapping him up in the rule 5 draft last winter (he's very young but he was already rule 5 eligible) with his stuff and most likely simply stashing him on their 25 man roster to deal with his growing pains. Unfortunately, that also opens you up to occasionally being a part of AA's wheel from the 25 man roster to the minor leagues, and also, since he's on the 40 man roster, that sadly means that his timeline has had to have been sped up. Even if you don't call a guy up, once you're on the 40, the option years start and if I read it correctly, every year that you're in the minors and aren't up for good counts as an option. So, it became necessary to get aggressive with Ynoa. He started the year in A+, but got promoted quickly to AA.

To sum it up, there's a small chance that the actual ML team gets something from Ynoa due to the options thing. He's still really raw. Best case is he becomes a key multi-inning reliever guy, most likely case if anything happens at all, is he grows into being a starter for a bad team.

• Options

Thanks GG, that was informative. The announcers misstated when they said he came up from single A. From my quick look he has pitched a bit over

100 innings above A ball. On the other hand at his best stop over those 100 plus innings his ERA was just under 5.00 and his average ERA above A ball is well over 5. I'm not sure what would have been best, But last night sure was ****.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This was Ynoa’s 2nd appearance this season. The first time out he pitched 2 shutout innings. So maybe this is all a part of growing pains, but yeah, last night was rough.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I said it after his first appearance. He isn’t ready for the show and is only here because of 40 man roster concerns (as GG said). Doubt you will see him much in any innings that matter, no need to start calling for his head.

This discussion has been closed.