Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Where will the new weight room/training facility be built ?..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If it's going next to the indoor practice facility as has been discussed the options are limited. I'm assuming taking 1 of the remaining outdoor practice fields is a nonstarter. That leaves the north end of the Foley Field parking area as prime real estate. The most advantageous spot football wise might be to take out the stand of trees and some of the parking area. Build the training building just across the street with a overhead pedestrian bridge. To make up for the lost parking spaces build a parking deck just south of the new building.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Buy out that elementary school and build it there IMO

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If it could be done it would be a pretty good spot. I'm not sure if forcing little kids to move would be great PR though. I can imagine a hoard of angry soccer moms on the evening news.

edited July 2019

I'd forgotten how narrow the parking lot is on the north end. That would probably not work. Barrow Elementary would be a tough sale, expensive and logistically challenging, but the spot is very good. You'd have to wait for a new school to be completed down to the desks before you could even begin the demolition. I'm guessing at least 2 years from writing a 10 million dollar check till demolition could begin.

edited July 2019

Ok, I'll have another go at the Foley parking lot Idea. We'll have this thing up and running by lunch. The north end has a stand of trees along the road side that if I recall go maybe 50 ft deep and then another 100 of so ft of parking lot before it widens. The tree and narrow northern end of the parking lot may be 100 to 120ft or so. That area could house training rooms, offices, etc. The weight room would start where the lot widens. Depending on how much lot is taken up a parking deck could be built as high as needed behind the training facility to make up for the spots taken for our spanky new state of the art TF. We could have a overhead pedestrian bridge to cross the road without disturbing traffic or else runned over..

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, since Murphy chose Clemson's engineering school over ours, why don't we just tear down the engineering school and build it there? Just trying to think outside the box.

Good morning to ya!

Tex. That's wild, inventive and probably insane....let's do it.

I mean, if your engineering department can't help secure the top recruit it the state, why keep them.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Early reports were that is going on the upper practice fields used by the kickers during practice.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My understanding is they will build out on the utility field turf section on the upper level along side the IFP. It is a good section for using blocking and weight sleds outside to save wear on the grass field as well as wet ball passing and catching, but it’s the only option to expand.

Space is the biggest problem for many schools. UCLA only has 70 yard practice fields and many IPF’s such as Miami are less than 100 yards.

Former UGA Associate AD Carla Williams is overseeing a $180 Million practice facility upgrade at Virginia , primarily for football. They just blew up the old basketball arena to create the needed space. The current UVA football facility was state of the art when it was built in the early 90’s, but had fallen way behind the others. Williams is very aggressive with the football program with the blessing of the new President. They have been picked to face Clemson in the ACC Championship and open against us next year.

@BobcatGrad your entire post just seemed so "cavalier"

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL - Well, I have been married to a UVA alum for 24 years. Despite relocating from Ohio over half my lifetime ago, she still considers me a Yankee.

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since we just considered buting out the elem school...wouldn’t it be easier to write solve fat checks and convince these home owners to sell this area? Also wouldn’t have have to wait for a new school to be built.

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excuse my typos (Mobile)

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This has already been decided and will be an expansion of butts mehre rather than a stand alone building. I believe the expansion was to the north of butts mehre into the field on the west side of the indoor practice facility.

I do like the idea of taking the Foley parking lot and building a deck with a pedestrian bridge though. Thus would be dramatically more costly, but that's rarely a deciding factor for athletics. That part of campus is very limited in options for new buildings.

Buying the elementary school was less feasible than developing building hover technology and expanding into the airspace over the practice fields, but both were ruled out once news of broke that LSU's locker rooms would actually be a big football themed sleepover fort. The thought was that UGA needs to stay classy.

The only negative other than maybe looking too crowded with using the turf field is losing a second open air practice field. Kickers can use The IPF but it seems Kirby will need his organizational skills to get every position enough reps.

edited July 2019

It doesn't take much study of photos of the back of Butts Mehre to get an idea of how the expansion will be done. I'm thinking they will expand the 1st level out the edge of the upper full practice field, then add a second floor over the current one level weight area. Practically speaking it's very solid and cost effective. Aesthetically ..? I fear the Butts Mehre/ IPF area will look like a piece mill eye sore. They need to think long and hard about the overall exterior look to avoid the whole area looking jumbled and cluttered.