Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is using "we" acceptable when talking about a sports team?

UWGDawgUWGDawg Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I recently got into a discussion with a friend when I said "we should have a good year this year" while talking about the Dawgs. He said that grown men shouldn't use the term "we" unless they are on the team. I have no issue with it when it comes to any of my favorite teams.

How does everyone else feel?

Is using "we" acceptable when talking about a sports team? 152 votes

"We" is completely fine if you love the team
87%
donmJayDogbull68dawgsuperblackeagleBrentRobbiejomattmd2BigDawg279CZCashvilleDawgtfk_fanboythegreatwhite1BiffLowmanTdub0199josh31533BowwowDawgbonedawgDiablo_and_DocBigDawgBrinkDawg19 133 votes
No, you're not on the team, you don't get to use that word.
12%
RetiredRedcoatStef_Lew_478nickcreighton5Acrum21Palm_City_DawgBulldawg90ThelordjohnsonRotgutugaforevergadawginpaKirb_your_enthusiasmDobroMattInOzsugarfallssummorecory430dukedawgbbyrnePurplestuffsmparsons1456PalmettoDawg15 19 votes

Comments

• PurplestuffsPurplestuffs Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman
    No, you're not on the team, you don't get to use that word.

Almost the same as grown men wearing jerseys, no one is going to call you into the game.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While I use "we" about half the time, it is "my" team after all.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't really like hearing random people do it but I can't judge as I do it.

• sanforddawgsanforddawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

I say "we" as well. Maybe I shouldn't but I'm gonna anyway. We are we win or lose!! Go Dawgs!!

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who is the 12th man? We are!

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When speaking to someone who is also a UGA fan, saying something like, "Yea man, we need to do this or that this year" makes complete sense to me. However I do understand the few that get upset by this scenario: when speaking to an opposing fan saying we instead of they.

I could care less. we're not called fans for nothing...we're crazy

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The interesting question to me is who does “we” include to you?

Like I’m cool with y’all being part of my “we” but not Darrell from Columbus going on Finebaum and representing my “we” lol.

And if there were such thing as a rational Bama fan and I were one, there’s a lot of people that I wouldn’t want to be lumped in with.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I fork out several thousand dollars to the Hartman fund every year for the “rights” to buy tickets, so as far as I’m concerned “we” is completely acceptable

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We is absolutely ok if it's your team. If your family paid for your tuition to attend that school - then heck yes.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I always struggle when trying to decide if I should use the term "we" so I'm going to let all of you decide what I will use in the future. 😊

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WE the tax payers can absolutely say WE because it is WE that r paying their salaries. If I'm wrong someone please correct me if I'm mistaken. And for context, I'm speaking of the University of Georgia. Not our Pro Sports teams.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does scholarship count?

• muttley1211muttley1211 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I went to UGA. I am part of of it. We

For pro sports I typically don’t say we.

• 914Dawg914Dawg Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happily paying (not the actual paying part) for 2 kids to attend UGA and loving the Dawgs makes me honestly feel "ok" but not "great" saying we, but I'll say it to other Dawg fans.

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While I understand what you are saying regarding taxes and it being a state school, I'm not sure our tax dollars are funding the football program (or the athletics program for that matter). The entire athletics department had revenue of almost $177 million last year and about $134 million in expenses. The football program had $129 million in revenue and $45 million in expenses. Which means a profit of $84 million. That also means the football program is funding other sports as is typical at most schools.

For reference: https://www.savannahnow.com/sports/20190207/latest-ncaa-financial-report-university-of-georgia-athletics-profit-42-million-in-2018