Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Books

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Agreed. I think the movie works better than the book. Or at least that’s how I remember it

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just finished Bad Blood, a nonfiction account of the Theranos blood testing scandal. I was first drawn to it because I work in a similar industry but it's actually a very compelling read, written by the guy from the Wall Street Journal who originally broke the story back in 2013.

There's an HBO documentary on it as well that just came out.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enjoy reading Hemingway. I'm partial to A Farewell to Arms which is a favorite. I even remember where I bought that book. Got Farewell and Moveable Feast, ironically, at Shakespeare and Company when I was in Paris Christmas 1988.

My favorite Hemingway work, though, is The Snows of Kilimanjaro. Great short story.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Talking about Krakauer books but I may be unpopular in that I liked Missoula: the book about the rape scandal with the Univ of Montana football team. Well, I won't say I liked or enjoyed it, but it was a strong work IMO.

I've spent some time in Montana and been to Missoula a couple of times so maybe that's why I paid more attention to it, but if you can read it and not have a bit more empathy for the victim anytime something comes up about football players being accused of bad stuff, then I wonder about ya. This didn't happen at a power 5 billionaire program with 5 star future NFL players. People get tribally protective of Div 2 hometown boys just the same.

Thought it was fantastic. Essential read for anyone who wondered why a certain young woman would wait to come forward with her allegations

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have you read "Death in the afternoon" it's Hemingway's treatise on bullfighting from 1900- 1930 . Never read anything about bullfighting before but found it fascinating.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been reading books by Robert Caro since I like history. The author himself has an interesting story. He says that he is not a biographer but interested in how men obtain power. Robert Moses built much of NYC and he also wrote a few books on LBJ.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm a history buff myself..not so much recent stuff but I've heard that Caro's LBJ books are incredible so I'm planning to give him a shot one of these days.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

I probably posted this a long time and many pages ago but I'll refresh it.

If you haven't read Ron Chernow's biography on George Washington and you enjoy such historical biographies I implore you to read it. Don't expect any sanitized yarns involving cherry trees or a saintly, selfless man only concerned with others though. This is a magnificent warts and all chronical and for my taste 1000 times more rewarding than some dishonest fantasy.

Another good read is John Toland's last 100 Days, it's a chronical of the final 3 plus months of The European Campaign ending in Germany's surrender.

On the other side of the world William Manchester was fighting with ''The Raggedy Assed Marines in The Pacific which he wrote about 30 years later resulting in the wonderful book Goodbye Darkness.

I'll end this post with a strong recommendation for E.O. Wilson's On Human Nature. It won a Pulitzer for nonfiction. No other book has influenced my thinking on the nature of we human critters like this one did.

Good synopsis WC. I cross the Delaware to go to work right near GWs famous crossing. When we first moved to this area, we stayed on what was a dairy from the 1680s to the 1980s and is now a church. Washington stayed there and many places and there was a skirmish on site. Have not read about the Rev war like I have the war between the states so I will look for that book.

scooterdawg you might read some prefaces, Caro gives you a good taste of what to expect. Also you can find him on YouTube giving brief comments and answering questions as an invited speaker at universities etc.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2019

If you haven't read Ron Chernow's biography on George Washington and you enjoy such historical biographies I implore you to read it.

Flexner's book on Washington is considered one of the best. Anyone into history or Washington in particular owes it to themselves to read it.

Reading books like this, one realizes how often modern day politicians get it wrong when they reference the "Founding Fathers".

edited July 2019

I appreciate Flexner's books on Washington more than I enjoy them. His style is a bit dry and meandering for my taste. He's not sleep inducing like Gordon W. Prange's highly regarded account of The Pearl Harbor attack At Dawn We Slept, but it isn't as readable as Chernow's either.

If you have the patience by all means delve into Flexner's work, I don't possess that level of patience anymore. I'm becoming the cranky old man who yells..Good God Man Get To The Point !

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

my next non-fiction book will be The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

has anyone read that one?

Roosevelt is one of my favorite Americans so I am excited to get into it.

I've never read a complete biography on TDR, but I've heard Morris's book is excellent. My brother in law has a copy, maybe I'll borrow it.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just finished book #3 of Conn Iggulden's historical fiction series on the life of Julius Caesar. Now on a book about the Iran / Iraq War.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Now on a book about the Iran / Iraq War.

Curious which title you are reading. That is a subject ive never really looked into.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

It's called the 'The Iran - Iraq War' by Pierre Razoux. It's very informative.

Looking to read Fantasyland by Kurt Andersen next