Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is using "we" acceptable when talking about a sports team?

Comments

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    "We" is completely fine if you love the team

That shareholder thing? That is a piece of memorabilia and might as well be a poster on the wall. It has no real monetary value, you can't make a profit on it. Its a piece of fan club art and does not confer ownership.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have no problems with it. If it weren't for sidewalk fans, there would probably be a lot less attendance.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Heck yes you can. I do. I'm also a huge Braves fan. I used to absolutely love hearing Skip say "WE". I've got so much heart invested in OUR team that to me not saying WE would be like not calling my family WE.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Except it’s kemosabe

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I grew up hearing my dad yell at the tv, "WE ****" during the Goff and Donnan years. It's we for me.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

sounds like your dad was a straight shooter and not a front runner by any means.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No, you're not on the team, you don't get to use that word.

Doesnt need to give me monetary value. Its something I can say over a hardcore fanatic.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • thegreatwhite1thegreatwhite1 Posts: 93 ✭✭✭ Junior

I pay GA taxes, I buy UGA tix, I buy UGA apparel, I’ve got a UGA degree.... yep it’s a we, just like family

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I speak of the Dawgs, I use we. I always have and I always will. Dawgnation is made up of "we".

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we shouldn't be used, then their shouldn't be a home field advantage right? When the stadium is packed and the other team can barely concentrate because over 90,000 rabid Dawgs are screaming, it is because of the "we". We buy the tickets, watch sec network, buy the merchandise and some donate for facilities. You're d a m n straight it is a we. Without us, big recruits wouldn't flock to UGA. Without the we, we wouldn't have flooded South Bend and helped make it feel like a home game for our players.

• Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just for the record, who is it out there that decides if what I say is acceptable or not and why am I trying to please them anyway?

• superblackeaglesuperblackeagle Posts: 303 ✭✭✭ Junior

For alumni of college teams it makes sense, otherwise no

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No, you're not on the team, you don't get to use that word.

Speaking only for myself here, but I feel awkward saying “we”. I will use ‘our Dawgs” or “the guys”, or simply “they”.

But up to the time I graduated it was usually “we”.

• PedroPedro Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The bigger issue isn’t we, but what a **** that guy is for correcting you.

• MaconiteMaconite Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman
    edited July 2019

im a native Georgian, spent my childhood in Dry Branch, early adolescence in Macon, and high school years in Atlanta. I love this state in general and I’m unabashedly a fan of all things Georgia, even the Hawks. I got accepted into UGA honors but decided to go to college in LA for personal reasons. However, I will still use we to refer to my fandom and plan on attending UGA for a grad degree.