Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Mutt Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't forget some of the best friends on the planet - the good ole mutt - not a purebred by definition but some of the best dogs around. Maybe even some strengths that come from mixing breeds. Got any pics of your mutt to share?

It's also National Avocado Day. Hard to imagine Mexican food without avocado thrown in there somewhere.

Enjoy.

Comments

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Added avocado oil to my battery of oilies. Certainly fine, but I haven't formed a definite broad opinion, yet. Read where the Mexicans were complaining of high prices in their stores for avocados, due to the demand. Avocado oil might be part of the "problem". That will likely be corrected by their farmers planting more acres (hectares). Usually I have them cubed in a salad, but used to enjoy them halved with lemon juice in the cavity where the pit was. Yum! Lastly, I had a marvelous street food in Nuevo Laredo - border town - of a cornmeal encrusted (fried?) avocado slice. Don't remember anything more about it but it was delicioso.

Not forgetting the mutts. I do not have a e-photo of my muttiest mutt who was a great great etc. dog.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The top one looks like a foxhound. I have a 15 year old female American Foxhound snoozing a few feet away. I literally pulled her off the animal control truck. She would have been put down the next morning because her druggy owners claimed she was aggressive.They were too sorry to take care of her and too chicken chit to say they were going to have her killed because of their sorry-ness.She's had 13 good years since.

My 2 great mutts were..

Marcel - a black Dalmatian Lab mix. Bett a Chow Golden Retriever mix who showed up when Marcel was 3 months old, he talked us into keeping her. She lived to be 16 years 6 months old. You can't beat a good mixed bread, go adopt a couple.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

This is our girl Sadie Mae!!!! She's been a member of our "Pryor DAWG family" since she was just an 8 week old pup, on April 27th, of 2017. She IS a Weimaraner, but no pedigree, no papers... just our sweet girl. GO DAWGS!!!

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg we think he’s a Walker Coonhound. He said a rescue from our humane society, too. Excellent dog. Very loyal, loving and gentle with our baby. I’m so glad you rescued your foxhound. Sometimes people are just horrible.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

The American Foxhound like our Brownie is thought to have been bred through crossing Walkers with French and English Foxhounds. George Washington was a foxhound breeder and many credit him with developing the American version.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg indeed! That’s why I named my hound Bud Washington Whittaker when we adopted him!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

not enough pics of dogs in this thread tbh

• SniperdawgSniperdawg Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jackson. Part border collie, part German Shepherd, maybe some golden. 100% awesome!