Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,886 mod

Don’t look now...Mets only 2.5 back in the wild card

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm done with your lame BS, stay if you please, but I won't respond to your non sense again.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can keep going at this all night, but you're going to have to realize that not all hits are real hits. They're BS, weak grounders, bloops to no man's land, or jam shots.

Yes, that's reinventing the way baseball was scored for years, but that's a real thing that we look at now, and it can even be looked at in statcast. How hits are measured.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you're both right tonight. Soroka rolled well and got bad ball in play luck and sequencing luck in the 4th. Was in control the majority of the game but 4 singles in a row, 3 of which were bloopy and one was a bad play by camargo, hurt him. Thats just unlucky and is that whole not all hits are created equally.

Unlucky things happen and I wouldn't say Soroka had a bad start like @WCDawg may have thought I was implying. I am just hoping he can adjust his approach and find a way to get 1-2 more K/9 to mitigate some of the ball in play bad luck. Teams are definitely keying onto his sinker early in the count because he throws it so frequently early in counts, trying to pitch to contact. When you do that you leave yourself open for bs innings like the 4th.

Real issue is our offense has seriously stalled and BP hasnt figured it out still. It isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things and we shouldn't over react because every team can stall in a long season. But really hoping they start rolling again come the home stretch and layoff run.

• Options

@WCDawg

GOOD! You're even lamer than me anyway since you're not going to get it. All you do is just use your muh muh old school eye test when it has been out of date for 20 years! Some hits are not real hits, and you don't measure pitchers by ERA, WHIP, BB/9, and W/L anymore. Or hitters by batting average and on base percentage either. There's more that you can look at! But you're just going to keep on with just looking at that, so we can go our separate ways.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Btw, sorry mods but I'm pretty mad tonight and I've had debates over with baseball, the old school vs the advanced analytics and being able to look back easier at things.

You can give me a warning if you'd like.

Edit: I'm self banning myself for at least a month, if not longer, but still, I'm sorry, but not all base hits are created the same. There are hits that are lucky hits and I'm going to stand by it. Yes, it throws out how baseball has been measured for years, but there are hits that are lucky hits.

• Options

If the Mets make the playoffs and somehow vindicate all their decisions over the last year i think my brain will explode.

Then again, the Mets getting close and being 1 game away would also be peak Mets.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,886 mod
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    edited August 2019

No, one of us is right, the other is utter nonsense. Pitchers give up runs, that goes for every pitcher who has ever lived or will live in the future. The kid hung a pitch, it got hit, end of story.

• Options

Y’all aren’t even arguing the same thing this time though it doesn’t make any sense

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think trying to quantify "luck/lucky" is a slippery slope. Baseball is far too complex to do that. Take a soft ground ball to 3rd base. Luck? it depends, at least to me, on who's playing third, what the situation is (is he back or playing in) how hard the ball is hit/mishit, how fast the runner is/isn't and maybe even if the first baseman has a good stretch or not.

I love the unexpected things in baseball, like slow rollers down the 3rd baseline. Advanced stats or neanderthal stats - it doesn't matter to me. What happens on the field is what matters most to me. Analyzing the likelihood or luckiness of the "hit" doesn't add much to the game for me.

• Options

The thing is we can actually quantify “luck” pretty well. Based on how hard a ball is hit and it’s launch angle, we can look into past data and see how often those hits are singles, doubles, homers, outs etc. this way of viewing results does not account for defense (who is playing 3rd in your example or how deep he is playing) because the pitcher does not control that.

We also know fast runners are the type of people to beat their expected production based on batted ball profile. This is due to them getting more infield hits and stretching singles into doubles, etc. I would not be surprised if this has been quantified to some degree, although I don’t know if any measures for it.

This way of viewing balls in play gives us further information to evaluate how a pitcher is performing. It would tell you that although soroka gave up 2 runs in the fourth last night, he was managing contact well. He got very unlucky that 4 balls that weren’t screamers were all hit against him. One of those balls was hit well and I would guess it was the only one with an expected batting average near or above .500.

Furthermore, all 4 hits were in a row. It is hard to string 4 hits in a row, this doesn’t happen often. We assume that had nothing to do with mikes performance, and say he was unlucky with hit sequencing. There are further stats that try to separate out sequencing luck.

In aggregate baseball is a stochastic game where luck always plays a factor in short term results. When we want to quantify how good a pitcher is we try to separate out the luck, things he can’t control (his defense or ballpark) and things like that. It’s complicated to implement, but the reasoning behind it should make sense.

• Options

We also have seen some pitchers who are consistently “lucky” or unlucky to a degree. Usually we can figure out a reason for said luck. For example Julio always outperforms his FIP (lucky), but this is because he always has low batting average against him, likely due to managing contact reasonably well.

Basically there are a lot of different things to look at if you want the most accurate picture and ERA alone is probably not sufficient to tell you everything you want to know.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Kirb. Seriously you overthink pitching, it's a bit egg headed and would put coffee to sleep.

Tough matchup tonight at The Twins with Jose Berrios on the mound for the bad guys. His home ERA for the season is 2.10 and he pitched a 2 hit shutout for 7 innings in his last start. We have Folty who is at best a pig in a poke at this time. He did pitch well in Gwinnett but it's been a long time since he's looked good against big league hitters, and The Twins are as good a power hitting team as we've ever seen.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope I’m proven wrong, but folty against this lineup is a recipe for disaster.

• Options

IS FOLTY BACK HE HAS A SLIDER AGAIN

• Options
    loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Folty looks sharp, especially with the slider. He admitted earlier that fear of the bone spur was keeping him from cutting loose with the slider and his command subsequently was off. That no longer seems to be the case. Hope is renewed.

As for quantifying luck and every other inane aspect of the game, I’ll leave that to all of you fine folks. It takes away all of the color of the game and just makes it lifeless for me. I understand the allure (analyst by profession) but the game doesn’t need more math to be fun for me.

Y’all be civil. This is supposed to be fun.

• Options

Folty looked really good for 5 innings. His stuff is good enough to be at worst #2 in the order. It's all about confidence with him.

Depending what a few other hitters do tonight Freeman may well lead the majors in RBIs with 91.

This discussion has been closed.