Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Best Bar in Athens

KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You get one, only one. Don't give me this ranked BS. Don't say well on gamedays I go here, on Friday nights I go here.

No, all of the bars close in Athens and u only get to save one. Which one stays open.

Give me the Globe. That is home. They have scotch.

Comments

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Always a soft spot in my heart for City Bar. When I was a younger man and walked into that place, my drink was ready on the bar before I got there.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,553 admin
    edited October 2017

Well now. This should be a hotly-contested thread.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2017
  • JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,553 admin

@moos said:
    Always a soft spot in my heart for City Bar. When I was a younger man and walked into that place, my drink was ready on the bar before I got there.

Who didn't know Damon?

edited October 2017

@JeffSentell said:

@moos said:

Who didn't know Damon?

Right? He told me I tipped too much once. Who does that?

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know this doesn't count because they're closed, but for 15 years after every home game, the tailgating crew and I went to the original Allen's on Prince. Cold beer, hot cheeseburgers and a Picasso (Fred Picasso) on the wall!

My apologies for being a bit off topic; I was looking it up to make the recommendation, found out it had closed and got a bit nostalgic. Kind of like Trump's, it was a piece of Athens that we really enjoyed, which, unfortunately, isn't there anymore!

• dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

General Beauregard

• HereSoIWontGetFinedHereSoIWontGetFined Posts: 45 ✭✭✭ Junior

Magnolias, or mags for short, would probably be my favorite. Many a night started and ended there.

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@dawgy10 said:
    General Beauregard

Generals is poop. It's the Tripp Chandler of Athens bars

• chattanoogadawgchattanoogadawg Posts: 151 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's gotta be All Good for me. The bloody mary bar on Saturday morning is on point.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nowhere Bar... classic Athens... no idea if it's still there or not.

• afroche4afroche4 Posts: 44 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I had to choose just one I would go with Mags, but I could write a term paper on this topic.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Well, if I could have only saved one, it would have been O'Malleys'.

Seeing that I haven't frequented bars there in 35 years......

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Someone should go ahead and put a pin in this thread.

• sarceansarcean Posts: 192 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'll have a drink at every single bar tomorrow and then post which one was the best

• FunroeFunroe Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior

Are we talking about the best bar to watch a game in or the best bar to go out to on a Saturday night after a Georgia win?

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@Funroe said:
    Are we talking about the best bar to watch a game in or the best bar to go out to on a Saturday night after a Georgia win?

I think it's just the best overall bar.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Papa Joe's when it was across from Guthries.

@greshamdisco said:
    Papa Joe's when it was across from Guthries.

Guthrie's is where I went the morning after going to City Bar

• FunroeFunroe Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm with the younger generation, so I lean towards the bars with the better party atmosphere. Hedges for me is my favorite due to the fact I know most of the staff and get a few freebies throughout the night.