Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been paying attention to RAJ's garbage all year, buddies are like....but he's so good! I DON'T CARE, I HATE his attitude! That joker cost us at least 1 run, definitely momentum shift. Selfish, selfish selfish!

Who does that in the PLAYOFFS??!

And could someone please give me one good reason to pull Mac?? Again, that's pretty much the only reason you sign him...the PLAYOFFS!

Ugh!

• Options
    SupaMan_StupSupaMan_Stup Posts: 32 ✭✭✭ Junior

Honestly the bullpen giving up 6 runs in two innings has nothing to do with Acuna running out that ball. But go off and keep complaining about him if it makes you feel better, I guess someone needs to be the scapegoat. But to me that game falls on the bullpen like most of the season has. If you can't secure a 3-1 game heading into the top of 8th you aren't going to survive in the postseason.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Going to have to beat Flaherty once, maybe twice. He's been the best pitcher in baseball since the break. Tall order there.

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I looked this up the other day. It turns out that in Spanish, Luke Jackson means 2-run HR. True story.

• Options

Actually a couple more things for the people calling out Acuna. Where's that energy for Kuechel "forgetting" to check Bader at 2nd which allowed him steal 3rd for free and then the batter hits a ground ball to Ozzie for a run. Markakis lolly-gagging to the ball in right field which allowed Fowler to go from 1st to 3rd instead of getting the ball in and keeping him at 2nd. We were also what 1-11 with RISP and left 8 runners on base. There are plenty of other things we need to be concentrating on...

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think people are unhappy with Acuña because of the way he did it earlier in the season and it appears he didn’t learn, which is disheartening. But in regards to all of your other points, you are spot on. This is a team game and it seemed like the team in general had a brain fart. Maybe it was from guys getting rest or maybe they just felt like they should win it regardless of effort, either way it’s time to start doing things the right way or they’ll be golfing in a week.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was hoping pitching 2nd would take some of the pressure off Folty, now it is the opposite. Hopefully he can stay focused and confident. If he loses his poise like he did much of the season it could go south quickly.

I'm not watching except to flip to the game for updates, I just don't have the stomach to sit through slow torment these days.

• Options

Managers are people, some make their best decisions in playoff games, some lose their judgement.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

This is who Acuna is. It was made very well known as a prospect that he will do every single thing that goes against The Braves Way or traditional "play baseball the right way" things. That he is a guy that plays with flash and flair.

He didn't learn anything from the benching if we're honest. He just said that I respect the manager for doing it but I will continue to play the game how I play it. Not word for word but it was basically that.

And the thing is:

The Braves really can't do a darned thing about it other than continuing to scald him, hopefully keeping it in house instead of the foolish stuff that happened last night. For one, I think the old "Braves Way" is pretty much gone anyway (they have had Snitker managing in the modern baseball way in the playoffs and he's not completely comfortable with doing it because he looked bad once Martin got hurt), and for two, even if his antics have hurt the team at times, lets be honest, he was the guy that put together the rebuild. Freddie is great, Ozzie improved a lot this year, but if you remove Acuna's "not playing the right way" things from the team, you likely don't win 90+ games in 2018 or 2019. So, the boomers that are whining about him are starting to look bad. My parents are boomers and their mouths are shut about him outside of praise for his talent (this is actually a big thing as my dad complained a ton about Uggla's strikeouts and with Acuna's strikeouts he's like "what, I don't even notice them"). They know that he's THE GUY.

I'd like the same energy for Markakis as well, but he's not going to get that energy because he's supposedly a savvy veteran. He was probably the worst position player yesterday.

• Options
    edited October 2019

He has to grow up for everybody's sake. His reaction when questioned about his loafing last night showed signs of a possible serious attitude problem developing. After he was benched for not hustling earlier in the season he showed the proper contrition. He just shrugged off a far more serious situation last night. Antonio Brown has reacted incrementally worse over the years. If Ronald decides that he is productive enough and people should get off his back the seed will be sewn.

• Options

It is possible to play with flair and emotion while also consistently giving full effort and scratching for every inch.

• Options

He didn't exactly say that I won't do what I did against LA again. He said more that I respect my manager but I'll continue playing the game how I feel I should.

• Options

I think Acuna is like Chip on judging balls on the field. I honestly think he wasn't pimping that, he thought the ball was foul or out. From my vantage point on TV I wasn't sure if it was fair but knew it wouldn't be out.

But my honest opinion is it wouldn't shock me if it goes in the way that we won't like. It's been well known that he's not a play the game the right way player ever since he was blowing up as a prospect in 2017. He had two regular season periods where he was big time sulking. That's where I think it might go.

• Options

So you're telling me that forgetting there is a runner on 2nd base or lolly-gaggin to a ball in the OF isnt lack of effort? Please explain this to me.

• Options

Nick really does need the same energy. Not running is bad, but if you're a savvy veteran, you don't get deked by a player that wasn't even on 2nd base that ended up on 3rd and take that strike 3 to end the game that he took. Oh, and he's 0-5 with the 2 strikeouts if Goldy isn't holding a man because that was a chopped double. Worst position player on the field last night. But since he'll hit weak oppo field singles, many in the media and in broadcast love all over him.

If he stays he better not start full time next year.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Yeah Nick isn’t very good and it’s wild that people think he is. I don’t think he didn’t hustle on that play he just got deked. And he has a super bad arm so people are gonna test him on the bases. 90% of right fielders and Fowler doesn’t attempt that, I think it surprised nick

• Options

It did surprise him. You can see him double clutch the ball and add a last second half crow hop to try and get something on the throw. Fowler ran because he knew Kakes can't make that throw. Good scouting on their part.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Braves are playing now, in case anyone forgot it was an early start.

Folty retired the side in order and struck out two batters. Acuna will lead off the bottom of the inning.

• Options
    edited October 2019
This discussion has been closed.