Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Weed Ethics Question?

2»

Comments

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:
    As long as they’re just smoking it like occasionally on their couch at home, I’m fine with it. Or if they live in the athletic dorm, just take a walk out in the woods behind your dorm. These kids put so much work into their bodies, limited marijuana usage is not going to negatively affect them.

And you guys acting like rules should never be broken, I trust you never even accidentally drive even 1 MPH over the speed limit.

That's not really a good analogy. You get a ticket for that....MJ can get you arrested, suspended from the team, etc....

the rules are the rules.

it is illegal...so do not do it!

Those are direct quotes from what I was replying to. Not sure what you thought I was replying to.

Going one mile over the speed limit vs MJ possession. It's a bad analogy. Here's another....it's illegal to get a BJ in Georgia, too. Sodomy, ya know? Does that mean you're going to stop? Now...going 1 mile over vs MJ possession....One just gets you a ticket, one can lead to much bigger legal problems. I'll let you guess which one.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:
    As long as they’re just smoking it like occasionally on their couch at home, I’m fine with it. Or if they live in the athletic dorm, just take a walk out in the woods behind your dorm. These kids put so much work into their bodies, limited marijuana usage is not going to negatively affect them.

And you guys acting like rules should never be broken, I trust you never even accidentally drive even 1 MPH over the speed limit.

That's not really a good analogy. You get a ticket for that....MJ can get you arrested, suspended from the team, etc....

the rules are the rules.

Those are direct quotes from what I was replying to. Not sure what you thought I was replying to.

Going one mile over the speed limit vs MJ possession. It's a bad analogy. Here's another....it's illegal to get a BJ in Georgia, too. Sodomy, ya know? Does that mean you're going to stop? Now...going 1 mile over vs MJ possession....One just gets you a ticket, one can lead to much bigger legal problems. I'll let you guess which one.

The rules are the rules.

It is illegal... so do not do it!

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree or not with the rules, they are what they are until they get changed. Rules are rules. Everyone knows the consequences. It's a risk/reward scenario.
    Speeding? Risk a ticket, but get there faster
    Smoking MJ? Risk a ticket/arrest and get suspended, but feel good for a while

The key is that the players (and anyone else who uses MJ) knows their set of consequences, and right/wrong/indifferent, it is what it is. They consciously took the risk, knowing what would happen if they got caught. I could take the risk and smoke, but I'd lose my job if I got busted. To me, the risk is too great. To them, it must not have been.

The problem with MJ is that SOOO many people do it, and never get caught or in trouble - especially in college where kids aren't randomly screened as with an employer. So, like speeding, everyone does it and few get busted. You almost have to TRY to get caught with MJ - riding around smoking in a car with a headlight out is basically trying.

@levander said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

the rules are the rules.

The rules are the rules.

Non issue for me. I don't smoke because we drug test at work and I would be fired.
    I don't really drink, either.....diabetes plays hell with alcohol consumption.
    If it WAS legal, I'm in. I experimented as a kid a few times....only about 50 or so.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:
    Agree or not with the rules, they are what they are until they get changed. Rules are rules. Everyone knows the consequences. It's a risk/reward scenario.

The key is that the players (and anyone else who uses MJ) knows their set of consequences, and right/wrong/indifferent, it is what it is. They consciously took the risk, knowing what would happen if they got caught. I could take the risk and smoke, but I'd lose my job if I got busted. To me, the risk is too great. To them, it must not have been.

The problem with MJ is that SOOO many people do it, and never get caught or in trouble - especially in college where kids aren't randomly screened as with an employer. So, like speeding, everyone does it and few get busted. You almost have to TRY to get caught with MJ - riding around smoking in a car with a headlight out is basically trying.

You’re arguing the old “don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time”. Which I think you’d agree has some really odd things to it. But to me is less dumb than “rules are rules”.

To me the worst thing about marijuana laws is what this country is doing with prisons. Prisons are now a for profit industry. They have those work camps in there now where the prisoners make dimes on the dollar for their labor. And the companies contracting with the prisons make really good money. Being able to grab a perfectly functioning human who’s done nothing more than ignore a few rules and he started distributing a few pounds of pot... boy is that money fo the prison industry! The vast majority of our prisoners aren’t in jail because of like armed robbery of a gas station. It’s this drug epidemic. Now heroine and crack, that’s a dicier issue I don’t have any answers for. But these marijuana laws are just ridiculous.

If I end up in prison some how. No way am I going to take one of those prison jobs. They’ll probably let me out earlier because I’m taking up a bed and not making them any money. But I’ve got the luxury of not needing their dimes to get by while I’d be in there. I could fill up my commissary account on my own. A lot of these people who made the decision to sell pot to supplement their income don’t have that luxury.

@levander said:

You’re arguing the old “don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time”. Which I think you’d agree has some really odd things to it. But to me is less dumb than “rules are rules”.

To me the worst thing about marijuana laws is what this country is doing with prisons. Prisons are now a for profit industry. They have those work camps in there now where the prisoners make dimes on the dollar for their labor. And the companies contracting with the prisons make really good money. Being able to grab a perfectly functioning human who’s done nothing more than ignore a few rules and he started distributing a few pounds of pot... boy is that money fo the prison industry! The vast majority of our prisoners aren’t in jail because of like armed robbery of a gas station. It’s this drug epidemic. Now heroine and crack, that’s a dicier issue I don’t have any answers for. But these marijuana laws are just ridiculous.

If I end up in prison some how. No way am I going to take one of those prison jobs. They’ll probably let me out earlier because I’m taking up a bed and not making them any money. But I’ve got the luxury of not needing their dimes to get by while I’d be in there. I could fill up my commissary account on my own. A lot of these people who made the decision to sell pot to supplement their income don’t have that luxury.

Completely agree with you on the stupidity of our MJ laws. Today's laws against weed are antiquated and ill-founded. I could write a lengthy novel about how **** it is that pot is illegal. It's absolutely true that our legal system is jacked-up as a result of non-violent drug offenders and it's having a major impact on our prison system.

That said - until we change it - until we wise up and update our legislation - we all have to live under these (sometimes misguided) rules, and accept the consequences of the society in which we live - even if our actions are harmless and we're in the (moral/ethical) right.

edited October 2017

FWIW - There's a quote commonly, but incorrectly attributed to Thomas Jefferson said "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Often felt that way about this particular topic.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

the rules are the rules.

The rules are the rules.

Non issue for me. I don't smoke because we drug test at work and I would be fired.
    If it WAS legal, I'm in. I experimented as a kid a few times....only about 50 or so.

But did you INHALE?

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

the rules are the rules.

The rules are the rules.

But did you INHALE?

I don't. But I am 100% edibles :-) sous vide cannabutter

@levander said:

@mattmd2 said:

State prison, maybe. Federal prison? No. They make you do at least 85% of your sentence. And if you don't want to have a job? No problem there, either. They would just lock you up in the segregation unit until you either worked or got out of prison on release. Not to mention that you would lose whatever good time built up for early release. As time went on, they would just keep transferring you to other joints and upping your security level for being a 'problem,'

You don't want to go to prison, bro. Trust me.

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@levander said:

@mattmd2 said:

My man staying super Woke over here.

• britishdawgbritishdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think its a classic example of laws taking time to catch up with society. I can't say that I have ever partaken in marijuana, but in this day and age, I don't hold it against people who do. It's so popular that branding people who do it as criminals is crazy. I'd rather our football players didn't do it, but if they do and they do it safely in their own home and don't drive, I really don't care.

With Atlanta decriminalizing Pot, I expect the rest of Georgia to catch up pretty soon. After that, it might take a while, but legalization isn't too far away. Silicon Valley is already investing hundreds of millions into cannabis startups and its going to become a huge industry. Lawmakers are going to have to change their minds because they won't be able to pass up that revenue for too much longer.

When that happens, schools are going to have to let kids do what they want. Until then, I do agree that there should be punishments if players break the law. That being said, we're on the road to legalization and so I think we should reconsider our current student policy. It's by far the harshest in the SEC and I'd rather we handled discipline in a way that didn't lead to mandatory suspensions or even expulsion.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@britishdawg said:
    I think its a classic example of laws taking time to catch up with society. I can't say that I have ever partaken in marijuana, but in this day and age, I don't hold it against people who do. It's so popular that branding people who do it as criminals is crazy. I'd rather our football players didn't do it, but if they do and they do it safely in their own home and don't drive, I really don't care.

With Atlanta decriminalizing Pot, I expect the rest of Georgia to catch up pretty soon. After that, it might take a while, but legalization isn't too far away. Silicon Valley is already investing hundreds of millions into cannabis startups and its going to become a huge industry. Lawmakers are going to have to change their minds because they won't be able to pass up that revenue for too much longer.

When that happens, schools are going to have to let kids do what they want. Until then, I do agree that there should be punishments if players break the law. That being said, we're on the road to legalization and so I think we should reconsider our current student policy. It's by far the harshest in the SEC and I'd rather we handled discipline in a way that didn't lead to mandatory suspensions or even expulsion.

Agree with everything except no mention of the age. I also am British so think that 21 is ridiculous but I don't see that changing anytime soon.