Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

International Travel Destinations

mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What are some of your favorite places to visit outside of God's country?

Wife and I are prioritizing travel this year (and last) and I was wondering if anyone had any strong recommendations on a future trip. Usual length 7-8 days including weekends to maximize PTO.

Recently went to Guatemala (awesome), Ireland (fantastic) and Germany (I go there a lot for work anyways). Also Italy was the honeymoon last year (just ok.)

Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• TiftDawgTiftDawg Posts: 22 ✭✭✭ Junior

Go to The Netherlands. The tulips are beautiful, the biking culture is fascinating, and Amsterdam is super chill.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh man...I have never really wanted to travel outside the US until now! Not that I have unlimited funds anyway.

My in-laws went to Switzerland years ago, and after they both passed away, I found the slides from the trip. Just gorgeous scenery!

My wife wants to take a Viking river cruise, and I'm trying to invest our money for such a trip someday. Got kids' college and weddings to pay for first...

• BoBo_357BoBo_357 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman
  • alexlj92alexlj92 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Excluding where you've already been:

Croatia or some of the greek islands are awesome. If you're a game of thrones fan go to Dubrovnik for the city and castle they used for the red keep. Southern Spain is beautiful. Go see Cadiz or Granada (see the alhambra while you are there - make sure to book a month in advance) or Gibraltar. All are awesome and have great food.

Prague is fun. Amsterdam is fun. Edinburgh scotland as well. There are plenty of places to choose from. Id suggest Munich for the beer but you may have already been there given your business travels.

The canary islands are also beautiful. A lot of people like Banff in Canada. As others have said anything in the alps has amazing scenery. If you want to go north in Europe try sweden or norway for awesome fjords.

You cant go wrong (well you can, but just do your research). Just jointly browse travel blogs until you and your spouse find something you're both like ooooohh that looks cool and then just do that.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have been to Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. Can't imagine I'll ever go back.

Headed to Paris this week

I want to visit Calabria, Italy and Japan and parts of Russia

We are planning a trip for the end of May. Vegas, Bar Harbor, Maine, and Belize City, Belize are currently th top choices but we will see what airfare deals we find

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A buddy of mine just took his family to Japan over the holidays. Did a lot of skiing but also sightseeing and eating out. He has traveled everywhere and said this trip was as good as it gets.

I did a trip to England once where we stayed in London and took advantage of everything that city has to offer, while making day trips to other spots: Leeds & York, Canterbury, abbeys & castles in the countryside, beach resorts along the coast. That as a memorable experience.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Melbourne, Australia (I highly recommend), France, Sao Paulo, Brazil, A good chunk of the Caribbean (love the Bahamas)

I want to do a Mediterranean cruise for sure. Italy is the place I most want to go.

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, but the fires won't likely affect the areas I enjoyed the most. Almost of residents of Australia are on the coast.

• babsbabs Posts: 43 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Loranwhaddayagot we’ve been on several Viking river cruises and they’re great, but def an older clientele. We went with college friends (all in our 60s) and were the youngest on board. Just an FYI!

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Melbourne is definitely a nice place to visit. Lived there for a year in 01-02 when it was voted world's most livable city.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have no problem with an older clientele! This would be the anti-Carnival! LOL

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

My favorite places are Rhodes Greece, Ibiza Spain and Paris. Rhodes has a mixture of beach and historic sites and I love the Greek Islands and their Tavernas. Ibiza also has great beaches (Portinatx is where they filmed the beach scenes from South Pacific) and a VERY lively nightlife (San Antonio is wild at night). Paris of course has a lot of beautiful historic architecture and plenty of sidewalk cafes/restaurants to sit and watch the world go by. Depends what your preferences are.

• jwithnelljwithnell Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

I found Quebec City charming and I love just about everything to do with British Columbia. I'm trying to get to Cumbria in England which has strong family connections for me.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spain and Portugal can be great choices they offer a lot of different choices on what you can do... everything from wine tours to bull fights and great food!

• imagadawg62imagadawg62 Posts: 56 ✭✭ Sophomore

Scotland. Went there for about 7 days and loved it. So much history and great sites.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Austria and Hungary are great locations. You can stay in Vienna for a few days and then take a boat down the Danube to Budapest and travel home from there.

My other favorite place is Victoria, British Columbia. Easy to get there, and it’s easy to stay since it’s Canada. Watch Orca pods, travel in 1000 year old Cyprus forests, and see cool sites around Victoria.

• dawg1119dawg1119 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Highly recommend Prague and Budapest. Very cool cities and the food/beer is super cheap. Heard Bratislava is similar but didn't make it there.