Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A perfect day in Texas

Comments

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can't turn my thread off topic..... I'm mister off topic.

Didn't know they had a Coopers in Buda.

They have a Salt Lick BBQ.....which was pretty awesome back in the day. Don't know about now.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry, should have been more clear. He took me to the one in Austin. Gave me a brief tour of the city and the campus and then the best bbq in the land

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

I've never had venison backstrap but you're making me hungry anyways

• NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perfect day in CO. Think one of your birds was staring me down as it flew away

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great thread @texdawg .... used to take customers every year to Valley Spring ... west of LLano to the T-Stripe Ranch ...our company had it exclusively leased from the 60s - 90s .... Love me some Texas Hill Country ... Coopers BBQ ... was great we went every year ... I really miss it .... there’s no place like Texas ..what a great Country !

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think either lol, born in So Cal, moved to Georgia at 22 when my dads job transferred and I got into UGA

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hunting needed. Deer way overpopulated in Pa and NJ. Also bear hunting needed in NJ but current governor wants to ban all. Farmers need more leeway to control everything from porcupine to beaver to geese. Good to have these critters but Need wisdom, justice, moderation. Cannot grow fruit and vegetable around here w/o deer fence way high.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I credit an armadillo saving me. Driving East from Valdosta to Statenville late at night, well the road is so straight it is hard to stay awake. Running over that armadillo was like running over a basketball and woke me up.

Deer here are more of a road hazard than pushy PA drivers.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Old law partner of mine (in S. Ga.) used to set an alarm for 2am, grab his varmint rifle with a night vision scope, and do his part to contribute to the local armadillo population control. I think he enjoyed that as much as real hunting.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In my quail hunting days we used to drop off our bags with an old woman named Cora. She lived in a tiny yellow house on the other side of the railroad tracks. You could hang them on her door knob if she wasn't home. Pick them up the next day. 50 cents a bird.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great post , hope you and your son have many more great hunts together. Never hunted Texas , it is on the bucket list. I just finished making venison chili for tomorrow's game and I will grill some backstrap to go with it. Love combo hunts , I used to hunt on Lake Oconee we would deer hunt in the morning and afternoon and fish midday .... great fun.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have done the alarm and rifle thing myself, for the yard and my job.. Got a friend that’s used a stake, fishing line with hook, and cans as his alarm. Then came the rifle

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just got to my deer blind. Its dark and I'm bored. So writing on dawgnation.

What is this a pic of?

The Abilene skyline at 6:30am.

Abilene is about 10 miles away.

For those of you that have not been to west Texas....it's not Georgia......or any place else in the deep south. If you get high enough off the ground you can see for miles

Mesquite trees are great cover for deer....but they aren't very tall.

Mesquite wood is really neat. Makes great furniture....but it is very hard and tough on your saw blades.

Mesquites are a bit of a nuisance because they require so much water. About 20 gallons a day. So it's difficult to grow grass in pastures unless ranchers clear out mesquite.

On a side note.....west Texas cedars are worse. If you see a ranch with a lot of cedars then it probably isn't well kept. Cedars require over 30 gallons of water a day....and are a huge fire hazard.

Mesquite....and definitely Cedars....aren't great for an area that avg about 26 inches of rain per year.....and is known for significant droughts.

But west Texas isn't treeless. The towns have moderately big trees because they were planted by settlers. And the river bottoms always have huge trees.

Abilene is neat because it's a huge ranching area....cowboying the old fashion way....sorta.

This whole area was comanche territory. Lots of history with indian raids. The comanche winter home was in the Palo Duro Canyon. Only 200 miles north.....just outside of Amarillo. (The palo duro canyon is spectacular)

Many of the small towns in this area have at least one significant indian raid in it's history.

Fort Worth was established to help protect settlers from the Comanches and other indians.

The Comanches were brutal.....but they were only doing what we all would do......protecting their home and families.

But that's a topic for another hunt.

It's getting daylight.

Time for huntin.

I'll post a pic later of what area looks like in daylight.

Side note.....if you are interested in Texas history....read Larry Mcmurtry.....amd start with Lonesome Dove.