Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Will the new XFL last more than one season

BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think with McMann not running day to day operations and the wrestling theme out of it they might have a chance. The only reason I’m gonna watch this weekend is to see Arron Murray other than that I wouldn’t be watching.

Comments

• DawgsonTopDawgsonTop Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do they still have names like HeHateMe?

• oddsbodkinoddsbodkin Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, especially with rising star and trailblazer Zach Evans paving the way for straight out of highschool players to transition to the NFL after 3 years.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod
    edited February 2020

Found an article on this topic if anyone wants to read about it a bit more. If the XFL does make it past one year it may have a huge impact on college football

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No. It takes a lot to run a professional football league. There just is't enough money, training support, quality coaching, and elite players to keep this thing going very long. It's a gimmick destined to fail, just like all the other leagues that tried in the past. Ultimately it has to be good football.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If its anything like the AAF , then no.

You aren't going to get very good football for $55,000 per player. Even practice squad NFL guys make about $150,000 minimum

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A billion "Company" is backing the XFL. The AAF never had that backing, which is why it failed. They are already projected to lose $40 millions dollars this year, and they are okay with that (tax right off). If they don't try to be a feeder team like the AAF did, and function as an alternative league, than I believe they can be successful.

As for the pay, if they were good enough to be practice squad players, than they would be in the NFL and not XFL. I'd love to make $55,000 for 8 weeks of playing. These guys can still make a living, and play the game they love. Take the "antics" out of it, and they can be successful.

• lmiked7lmiked7 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just don't see how they're going to put a quality product out there at all and even if they manage that there is no way to sustain it. They're directly competing with the NFL and it really can't be overstated how vast the gap in resources is between the NFL and ol Vince McMahon and his XFL. It's not even close in terms of funding, market share, current revenue streams, tv and advertising deals, player quality, coaching quality and legal/administrative personnel just to name a few key areas.

There's a reason this hasn't worked out in the past. The NFL has its tentacles in too many cookie jars and I promise you they will stonewall so many suppliers and distributors before they let them get involved with the XFL. Any decent players will get poached to the NFL where they'll make more on the practice squad than they do in the XFL. Same can be said for coaches, referees, broadcasters...literally anyone that is good at their job will be lured to the NFL. No one has any allegiance to the teams and most of the country has no reason to care as there aren't teams in the majority of cities.

The NFL is a monopoly. They literally stole Sundays from God. Short of the department of justice/state attorney generals filing antitrust lawsuits they will crush the XFL swiftly and completely.

• BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No he hate me jersey’s to buy this time. They have a guy with ties to the NCAA running the show this time, I still don’t think they can legitimize the game.

• Buck_WildBuck_Wild Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior

The XFL has significantly more backing and preparation time than the AAF. They already have a 3 year TV contract ESPN and Fox Sports and Vince McMahon has already said he is ready to run the league at a deficit for the first 3 years as well.

• BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That’s nice but it doesn’t put butts in the seats and that’s what you have to have to sustain the league.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Based on history? The XFL isn't going to last. Enjoy it while you can. The last league (the AAF?) showed it can shockingly fold up during mid-season. So many leagues have attempted, and none have made it.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will put the number at 1.5-2 seasons. There are some differences from the other startups here, including McMahon's first try at the XFL. McMahon is funding this himself with his fortunes and has said he's willing to take a deficit for a few years. So, there's a good chance this league completes at least one season.

If there's any trouble for him, it'll be if the WWE has trouble since that's where most of his wealth comes from, but I think ultimately he evaluates how the numbers look financially after the XFL runs for a season+ and realizes that it's not going to work long term and shuts it down again. They will really need some sort of a break to make it a longer term league. Like being able to get just a few elite recruits to seriously consider foregoing college, and I don't really foresee that happening.

• SubmarineDawgSubmarineDawg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man I remember when Trump stole Herschel for the New Jersey Generals. I wanted to kill him.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see it.