Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Talking Trash....Yay or Nay?

Comments

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Celebrating a play is one thing. Getting in an opponents face is **** and shows an undisciplined team. Seriously, go look at the best programs, none of them (except LSU) enable trash talk. It’s funny when it happens, but the teams that are doing it usually aren’t gonna win big games. Remember that Tennessee player who flipped off the bama fans after a touchdown? The most prevalent programs that openly enable trash talk currently are Florida, Miami, and UCF

Look at baker mayfield, grabs his junk against Kansas gets knocked out when it matters. Honestly that’s why what burrow did this year is so impressive to me. He consistently backed his trash talk up all season. I love the guy, but if he’s smart he’ll pull back a bit before he goes to the NFL, cause everyone gets knocked down eventually.

Brady turned into a trash talker after his fourth super bowl. Peyton never trash talked. Mahomes never trash talks. Cam and Phillip rivers are the biggest trash talking QBs of my lifetime, and neither has a Super Bowl

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Well, I'm on this side too. Play the game, make the plays. No need to talk about what you did or didn't do on the field. It's right there for everyone to see. Want to talk, take it to the sidelines and talk with your team mates.

BTW- Thanks for the Herschel clip. I too was at that game....

• LBCoachLBCoach Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are you insinuating that you can't trash talk and win big games lol... Odd take

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nick Chubb says things like "excuse me", "please", "good job" & "thank you". It works well for him.

I do like trash talking though.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some people talk smack, others don’t but you can trash talk and still be respectful of your opponent. Certain players use it to fuel their own game, some to get in the other guys head.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

I'm alright w/ talking trash, as long as it doesn't get too personal and turn into an assault/battery charge for one of them.... we as fans sure talk a lot of sh!t to opposing fan bases.....

#HBTFD

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was thinking the same thing. Larry just calmly said stuff then backed it up.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any quarterback who unnecessarily puts a target on their back will regret it. Look at what happened to cams body. Look at what’s happened to baker over the past year.

• imissmunsonimissmunson Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t think emotion and passion have to go hand in hand with trash talking. I love seeing emotion on the field. Trash talking is fine to a degree, but sometimes it’s “**** and play.” It ends up making a lot of players look really **** (Chauncey Gardner...).

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, great thread! So many thoughts on this, it's hard to know where to start.

Would like to know where @texdawg draws the line between trash talk and taunting.

Disagree with the claim that trash talk has always been a part of sports. I was a three-sport guy in HS and started all four years in all three sports. Trash talking basically did not exist in my day. The handful of guys who did it were universally recognized as jerks, and we took care of them on the playing field.

Seriously question whether Larry Bird's talk contributed to his greatness. His play was great. If he talked trash too, that just takes away from his greatness.

At the end of the day, I think @SoFL_Dawg is dead on. (He's commented on this issue many times when it has come up on different threads.) A very small percentage of guys (possibly only WR's and CB's) have a need to talk trash in order to play ball to their optimal level. If that's the case, so be it. As for the rest, I agree with the others who said, "act like you've been there."

All else considered, there's no doubt the vast majority of amateur athletes would be better off with an old school coach helping them focus on their play rather than their smack.

• ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coming from a combat sport background, I've never trash talked an opponent, friend? All the time. For myself, I'm just more of a fan of stoicism but it's not for everyone and I won't begrudge someone that wants to trash talk. If it's a Dawg, it'll probably get me fired up. If it's someone else, it gets me fired up when they get put in their place.

/shrug

• JAXDAWGJAXDAWG Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think the timing of the trash talk is critical....

Pregame - I don't like players from my team to be trash talking the week before a game. I think that only provides bulletin board material for additional motivation for the opponent. "I get it, he throws simple passes".

During the game - I don't have a big problem with trash talking during the game, but you better back it up. If you don't back it up you just look silly. I believe it does affect some players on both sides of the talk. I also think it has gotten excessive in some cases. I recall seeing a LB jump up and flex as if he did something great when the RB just gained 3-4 yards. That's a bad look for me and it appears the player is more interested in self than team.

Post game - I think you should always take the high road and show your opponent respect publicly.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can be very emotional without resorting to trash talking. To me, emotional players are trying to get/keep themselves and their teammates up, while trash talking is just trying to belittle an opponent. More of a ME thing. Ask the Wide receiver from Ole Miss how that worked out. He cost his team a victory in their rival game.

• LBCoachLBCoach Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think his celebration would go down as "trash talking". That's the exact point for a lot of us, talking is okay, taunting isn't.