Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Covid-19

Comments

• UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks for sharing your point of view, Tex. The economy is also a very valid concern right now. Unlike some sensationalist sources may have you believe, we are not on the verge of an economic collapse due to the virus, quarantines enforced or not. The economy will recover and hopefully we will all learn some lessons from this going forward.

For your point on those nearing or already at retirement age, this is why financial advisors recommend having a higher percentage of bonds and stable investments for those people as opposed to the portfolio of a 22-year old, which is generally recommended to be 80+% equities. If you’ve looked at a target-date fund for 2025 vs 2060, you’ll see a much higher percentage of bonds in the 2025 fund to hedge against a market crash right before retirement. I don’t want to seem rude, but if you’re nearing or at retirement age and your portfolio has 80+% stocks, you’ve really all but done this to yourself. A market crash will not affect a properly allocated portfolio nearly as much as an improperly allocated one. Eventually, the market will go back up and the money will be back. It’s important to not sell stocks now if you can swing that and still survive. Take from bond holdings if you can.

Not directed at you Tex, but I also need to say this:

Obviously in my previous posts I haven’t been able to completely keep my cool and have said some things I probably should not have. For that I do apologize, but seeing misinformation being spread that could seriously jeopardize the lives of others really works me up. If one wants to not take this seriously because of the media or some conspiracy or whatever that’s one thing, but when your words and actions affect not only yourself but also others that could be at a higher risk, that’s just plain wrong and needs to be called out. The mentality of “It won’t kill me so who cares if I get infected” won’t kill you, but it could very well kill someone you care about. I know I have parents and grandparents that I love very much, and this is a danger moreso to them than myself. That’s why I take this so seriously.

/textwall

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Talk about misinformation

The vast majority of Australia’s 120 cases were people who recently traveled overseas. They have a very small percentage of cases involving community transmission. So incorrect. Australi is not a model showing this is a warm weather contagion.

• UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker Once again, you’re really not worth the time, but here goes nothing. The source claiming 1 in 10 requires ICU comes from medical professionals in EUROPE. Places that are currently testing much more than the UNITED STATES, shown by the chart from the CDC that I also provided. Please actually read and digest the information provided before posting in the future.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Australia is experiencing community transmission of SARS-COV-2. Stick to bartending.

The type of test done for COVID has a very small chance of false positives. It's very sensitive

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks. I haven't heard or read anything about it and was wondering. I'm still not going to panic but I will continue to be cautious. That's really the best any of us can do.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

But aren't we prepared for the yearly flu in ways we aren't prepared for this? We've got mountains of historical data to look at and a good sense of how the regular flu will impact populations. We don't freak out about that because it's predictable.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

What does this prove? The article states there was community transmission but it was contained. Are you ok?

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with that. All this self-quarantine and hyper-precautious nonsense, pushed by the media and peer-pressure, will cause much more damage than the virus itself. That part is self-induced damage due to sensationalism. People are going to get sick...that can not be stopped. But nobody wants to be the organization that "forced" its employees or students to show up and someone go sick. I guarantee people will start throwing around lawsuits if they get sick. "My company made me go to work, and I got the Coronavirus..."...that would be an HR nightmare.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But we aren't talking about SARS, we are talking about Corona-virus. While you are correct (i think) in saying it's somewhat related to that virus, you would be incorrect in assuming it follow the same seasonal patterns. It's still to early to know if will or not. If what @Bankwalker said about Australia isn't seeing a lot of person to person transmission within the country, I'd say that's a great sign. Especially for America which is about to hit spring.

This thread has seemed to turn into the optimists vs the pessimists. With everyone being both right and wrong. I have assumptions about what will happen, but I really don't know for sure. Since many people in china got it and survived I'm leaning toward the optimist side that things will be ok. Does that mean carry on as if nothing happened? No, of course you should take extra precautions for you and your loved ones.

This discussion has been closed.