Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes. Many of the therapies aren't anti-virals but rather immune modulators meant to cool down the fire within your lungs and keep you from going into respiratory failure.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do you know how much of those biologics are available at any given time? Would a hospital potentially run out?

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Not RX, but absolutely. Based on need, small community hospitals could absolutely have a shortage.

Editing this post to add more color: Hospitals and like facilities rely on reimbursements to make money. Even non profit institutions follow this model. The reimbursements come from Medicare. Hospitals are eligible to be reimbursed up to 6% of their gross income annually. The avg. hospital in major US cities generates ~1M in revenue daily. A third of that 6% comes from what is called Value based purchasing, which is a fancy way of saying keep your costs down.

Hospitals no longer stock pile materials/meds as a way to navigate a declining reimbursement market. As a result, an localized outbreak could easily cause a shortage of supplies.

Update:

1st patient is still critical, on life support, but not really worse. Hopeful they will come around eventually.

2nd positive pt reported last night. Doing well with mild symptoms. So it's reassuring to see a true case that isn't critical with my own eyes.

Both either had significant travel recently or had an occupation that put them in close physical contact with many people.

Yes we could run out. The main one is Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) . It's an older and cheaper med that's been around for a long time, most commonly used for lupus or malaria. It's in good supply. But... just like TP, a massive rush for it nation wide will wipe out the stock. We ordered 10 bottles yesterday and got 5.

There are some others. But this is the one with the most promise so far.

My biggest fear is people will die unnecessarily from lack of medical equipment. Blows my mind Florida waited so long to close down beaches, restaurants, and clubs.

The only drawback with chloroquine is the horrendous itching it causes in dark skinned individuals. It is dirt cheap though. My lab bought several bottles of it a while back for almost nothing.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Those are probably likely statistics, which are much lower than a typical seasonal flu (the 2017 flu season killed 60,000 Americans...does anyone remember that? I don't, it wasn't a big deal) and less than the 2009 Swine flu. And like you said most just get very mild symptoms (if any at all), which means there likely wont be a shortage of hospital beds or medical supplies because most people will just stay home and rest.

Nobody is being dismissive, but the actions we are taking seem to be out of line compared to other illnesses we have dealt with and is simply not sustainable economically. If this situation is forced on us for several months I could see the suicide rate greatly outpacing the corona deaths. There are going to be several million Americans out of work long term in the restaurant, bar, entertainment, and tourism industries with zero chance of finding new employment. I know a few very successful restaurant owners in the Pensacola area and they are all wondering if they are going to survive as a business. I'm sure we have several members on this forum in the same boat. The economic and social forecast is more terrifying than the actual virus.

Was that a concern during the 2017 flu season that infected 64 million Americans and killed over 60,000?

Exactly. I agree. It's the fear of the unknown. But so was the Swine Flu and nobody shut down businesses and declared national emergencies. Early on the experts were predicting apocalyptic results, which really got everyone panicked, and started the whole global snowball of quarantine, social distancing, and business shutdown out of an "abundance of caution". It's at the point where people call you irresponsible if you don't follow suit. It's peer pressure, even at the global political level.

Yes, a certain % of humans will catch Corona and die. That is sad, but it's a reality of life on Earth. There are far more dangerous things we live with every single day. We can't shut the world down every time a new threat pops up.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Part 2

This is more of a hope. Georgia is below the 35th parallel. All of Europe is above the 35th parallel. On the other hand Wuhan is about the same latatude as Savannah, GA.

High Temperature and High Humidity Reduce the Transmission of COVID

Good luck fellow Dawgs.

edited March 2020

Those are legitimate concerns, but the flu shot isn't 100%. About 40-60% of people who get the annual shot get the flu. So, who knows...in years past you may have spread the flu unintentionally. We can't stop the world because of something that might happen. The social/economic impact of doing so would likely be far worse than the virus itself. So far this virus seems to effect one very specific demographic (unlike the seasonal flu that hits everyone hard). Take reasonable precautions, but we simply can't have everyone on earth quarantined and afraid to go outside.

• lmiked7lmiked7 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think both groups are right here. It's smart to quarantine and shut things down since we don't truly know the extent of the impact this virus could have. That said, it's just not sustainable to force everyone to shut down for more than a week or two. A few of my friends own restaurants and bars and the bills aren't going to stop just because everything else does.

Same goes for any small business owner. And people working for big corporations won't have much more security either. If money isn't coming in a lot of people will start to get laid off. Hopefully things can go back to normal by the end of the month. So many Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and a lot of people are going to be ruined financially if this lasts much longer.

I agree. There is a direct correlation between a spike in suicide and economic downturns. When all this started, the talk was about shutting down for a couple of days...then it was a couple of weeks...now they are talking about a couple of months. It can't last that long. There will be a point where we might have to just get everyone back to work and life back to normal and let this virus run it's course and take our chances.

• Huntindawg81Huntindawg81 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My problem with this statement though is, is 200 people dying worth crippling the economy? Truly think about that. 200 people vs 100s of millions not going to school or being able to pay bills.

This discussion has been closed.