Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for sharing @Kasey - a promising update, for sure.

Incidentally - Medium took down the article you shared earlier..404 Error -.”violation of Medium’s rules”. I guess data is bad! /s

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They better be. The cost is enormous. Hopefully the benefit is commensurate.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not making any judgments but that article was written by a former Mitt Romney staffer who isn't any sort of scientist. When it was taken down he namedropped Brit Hume and the Fox crew for help. I didn't read it so not saying it wasn't valid...I just saw the guy complaining to medium on my twitter feed...and Brit Hume/Fox have been on the "let's downplay this" side of things. TIFWIW.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Pretty sure being connected to Mitt Romney doesn't carry any weight on either side of the political spectrum at this point. 🙂

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Alright looks like this thread is starting to get off the rails. My fault, I apologize. I forgot how everything gets legislated in the internet these days.

anyway, let’s get back to checking in with each other and saying how we’re doing. Keep it non-political going forward if we can. Thanks again

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh, and thanks to whoever taught me a new word, "pwn". Might be breaking out the Scrabble® board...

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A cooler morning in the Upstate of SC. Gonna watch our church service online soon. Again, still very quiet here. Most people are staying home a lot, which is good for the spread, but has to just **** for all the businesses around. Lesser of two evils right now, I know.

For what it's worth - I think the Italy comparison fits parts of our country too well (Northeast), but doesn't fit others as well. I fear for and pray for those people!

The geography, population density, socioeconomic status, healthcare systems, and public transportation options are so DRASTICALLY different across our country. Not sure you can lump the entire US in with numbers (when 1/3 of the cases are in NY) and compare them to other places lacking the variety we have. Italy is jam-packed compared to MOST of the US. It's older. And their culture is much more friendly.

I have worked with stats enough to know that you can make them say a lot in either direction. Some of what we have seen has been a little inflated. Some is no-doubt worse than what we see.

For instance... 20% of the infected are supposed to require some type of medical help/hospitalization, according to most I read. The incubation period looks to be close to 4-5 days. 9 days ago, I was told that 100,000 in Ohio were "probably" already infected. Have they hospitalized 20,000 COVID-19 patients this week? I haven't heard that. By now, those 20,000 should be in the middle of some tough days. I think - maybe - that specific "modeling" number may have been a touch high to justify some decisions. Now, I am not saying that decision was wrong. Not sure if the "information" was a bit of an oversell...

i agree with most of the measures that are happening. Not sure if locking down parts of rural Kansas like they are in San Fran makes sense. We just don't know cause all this is new to everybody! All I know for sure is that my house is CLEAN. I would eat off just about every surface there is. My hands are drying out. My windows and doors are open, and I ain't going anywhere to bunch up with people anytime soon.

Sorry to ramble! I lean glass-half-full most of the time, and Go Dawgs!

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was hoping to get the boat out today, but it's looking cloudy and pretty windy. The beaches are closed, but the water is still open.

By the way, the predominant seasonal flu strain this year is H1N1 (Swine Flu). 200-300 Floridians die each week from it this year...just to put things in perspective.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great read in the AJC from a doc in Albany, where it really is tough right now...

HEROES!!!!

This discussion has been closed.