Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

quaranTUNE playlist

Comments

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

Sleepy Language from Layo & Bushwacka has a killer groove:

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This song is really special to me because I was in a Heavy Metal Band 20 or so years ago, I lived a very rough life on the road and now all I listen to is country and have cut a lot of things out of my life because I wasn't far from the end.... it just so happens that Jinks was in a metal band years ago called Unchecked Aggression.

Cody Jinks - I don't wanna Rock & Roll....

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can definitely see why the lyrics speak to you. Thanks for sharing.

• njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Heart was October 4th, 1977

Boston was January 15th, 1979 (Boston was my favorite band at that point)

Other notable concerts while I was there;

Lynyrd Skynyrd (1977)

Mother's Finest (1977) [an acquired taste but very popular then)

Marshall Tucker Band (1977)

Dave Mason (1978)

Jimmy Buffet (1979)

Use this link to show concerts by year;

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't talk about the Wilson sisters without mentioning Stevie in the all time great chic rock voices

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Was big Mother's Finest fan back in the mid and late 70's. Peachtree City built a amphitheater around 76' or 77'. Had MF as one of their first "big" shows. Guessing 200 folks were there and the band played like they were in front of 10K.....it was awesome.....

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tremendous song - love Petty & Fleetwood Mac.

Also fascinated by the Helen Of Troy-esque appeal that Stevie Nicks had with every musician that met her. Obviously drove Lindsey Buckingham & Mick Fleetwood wild, but even beyond that:

• Walter Egan - fell for Stevie while recording his debut album and wrote his hit "Magnet and Steel" about his attraction to her. She even agreed to sing backup...awkwardly having her then-boyfriend Buckingham join on backing vocal duty as well.
    • The Eagles - not Glenn Frey, but she claims she nearly had a child with Don Henley, came close to marrying Joe Walsh and dated Eagles songwriter J.D. Souther
    • Jimmy Iovine - fell hard for her while recording her solo album Bella Donna...according to an Iovine interview he did on Stern last year, he just finished producing Petty's Hard Promises album and was producing Nicks' album when he convinced Tom Petty to give "Stop Draggin My Heart Around" - which was originally recorded with Petty alone on vocals - to Nicks to put on her album as a duet. It hit #3 on Billboard in the US and propelled Bella Donna to #1 in the US. Hard Promises stalled at #5 and Iovine claims Petty was pissed at him afterwards

Also - not a love interest per se but one of my favorite "I never knew" anecdotes was when Nicks was recording her 2nd solo album when she heard Prince's "Little Red Corvette" for the first time on the radio. She claims it was stuck in her head as she wrote "Stand Back". Her producer at the time knew Prince and she asked if he could put them in contact...he said he was also in California and had his number so she called him. From Nicks' memoir:

"I phoned Prince out of the blue, hummed a melody, and he listened," says Nicks of the latter hit's gestation. "I hung up, and he came over within the hour. He listened again, and I said, 'Do you hate it?' He said, 'No,' and walked over to the synthesizers that were set up, was absolutely brilliant for about twenty five minutes, and then left. He was so uncanny, so wild, he spoiled me for every band I've ever had because nobody can exactly re-create - not even with two piano players-what Prince did all by his little self."

For those who never noticed the keyboards on the song, there are about 3 or 4 different parts going on...incredible that he banged that out in 25 minutes (!):

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

If I were Tom I'd be pissed too. That album only has one single on it. Stop Dragging my heart around could've helped

When she was young she was incredibly beautiful and she was hypnotic. If I had met her then I probably would have fallen under her spell and been willing to do absolutely anything she asked of me, without limitation.

I mean I get the attraction for that decade, but Jackson Browne dated Daryl Hannah...Eagles were massive - If I'm Don Henley, I'm looking to parlay my fame into dating Jaclyn Smith or Farrah Fawcett. Just sayin!

edited May 2020

Ha! Now we've come full circle back to @Kasey's DMB/Panic comments.

TBH, in their prime, I would have preferred Stevie to Daryl Hannah or any of Charlie's Angels.

I think my dream scenario probably involved Stevie on one side of the room, casting witchy spells on me, and Linda Carter (Wonder Woman) on the other, trying to corral me with her golden lasso. Then, as the struggle reaches its climax, Kristy McNichol wakes me up from the dream. 😀

To each his own!

Would have loved to be on a tour plane with that crew for a weekend back in the day. Must have been an amazing ride. Incredible band...by all accounts he's a world class pr!%k but Lindsey Buckingham is the MVP of that band IMO (no small feat).

One of my favorite Mac songs came late in their career - released for their live reunion album "The Dance" - Bleed To Love Her is just beautiful. Insane picking technique plus vocals by Buckingham with harmonies by Nicks & McVie; but watching the looks and glances between Christine McVie, Nicks and Buckingham during the song is a fascinating synopsis of whatever history/love triangle (pentagon?) they had going on between the members of the group.

Kristy McNichol! 😂 ...fresh off the cover of Dynamite! magazine

Linda Carter was a trailblazer, on that we can agree!

edited May 2020

Nice call. Everyone in FM was great but I can't argue with your assessment of Buckingham.

The definition of a supergroup for me is one where a whole lotta people know every member of the band by name. The Beatles (John, Paul, George, Ringo) may be the only group with close to universal recognition. The next tier includes bands like the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, perhaps a few others.

I would guess Fleetwood Mac might be in the Top 10. It's a shame they couldn't handle their drugs and wasted a couple of decades.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stevie was a wild child, bet she was a lot of fun if you know what I mean

That's an A+ roster - agree with the definition and the examples you gave.

Maybe a better recommendation for the quarantine TV shows thread, but while on the topic of 70s supergroups, Bill Hader and Fred Arminsen's mockumentary series on IFC called "Documentary Now!" is a series of knock-off documentaries filmed in the style of famous real-life documentaries from history (ie - "Thin Blue Line", "Nanunk of the North", etc.).

Don't want to oversell the series as it's out there and the episodes are hit or miss, but they did an awesome two-part fake documentary about a fictional 70's group called the Blue Jean Committee that absolutely nails the 70's music scene in a very funny way. Loaded with celebrity cameos, it's just really entertaining.

It's called "Gentle and Soft: The Story of the Bluejean Committee" - Season 1:E6 & 7 of Documentary Now!

I love Bill Hader and Fred Armisen. That series is definitely inspired.

On a more serious note, I'm guessing anyone who cares about 70's rock has already seen these two things, but if not, you should.

Almost Famous (2000)- basically Cameron Crowe's auto-biography, set to the tour of a semi-fictional band called Stillwater. Great performances by Patrick Fugit in the lead role, Frances McDormand as his mother, Billy Crudup and Jason Lee as members of the band, Kate Hudson (when she still had her own b00bs, and a soul) as their #1 groupie, and the late, great Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs. If you love music, you will love this film.

If I leave Here Tomorrow (2018)- straightforward, heartfelt documentary about Lynyrd Skynyrd, including rare photos, footage, and interviews. I wasn't the world's biggest Skynyrd fan before I watched it. But five or six viewings later, I had come a long way.

Never saw "If I Leave Her Tomorrow" but sounds great - is it on Netflix?

Almost Famous is tremendous - Loved Billy Crudup in that...he was outstanding in AppleTV's "The Morning Show" this past year, too.

As for Kate Hudson...let's just say I'm not over her breaking my boy Matt Bellamy's heart. Fortunately for Muse fans, he poured that broken heart into his lyrics in their album Drones - with most songs on that album thinly veiled metaphors for how he viewed her post-breakup. Incredible, bitter and brilliant album.

But if I'm going with one Muse song, it's Knights of Cydonia...bonus points for the epic video:

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Been loving Black Crowes first album. Classic Georgia rock n roll