Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Bad Look for Dabo

ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am sure this happens on campuses across the nation, but Dabo and Clemson football has been put on blast.

Comments

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Follow-up tweet:

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. While transparency on these issues is important (we’ve seen the evil places that lack of transparency and leadership goes in CFB), I don’t think it’s ultimately going to be helpful to anyone if every last instance is publicly aired. That said, if you are in a predominantly white industry (college football coaching), and you are leading and molding a group of young men that is mostly African American (major college football players), you have to be smarter and better about addressing these issues. You just have to be.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like internet junk. And what practice?

Any takers on how long this thread lasts?

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Supposedly its true. The player came outnand mentioned it and the coach (TE coach still at Clemson) came out and apologized again.

Well 1st, unless I'm missing something, it's unconfirmed. Who is the author of that Tweet? Who is Tut? And what practice are they referring to? Is this spreading misinformation?

And I don't want to move on. But going back on previous experiences, sensitive topics rarely survive. Especially if someone dares to question or disagree.

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Transparency is very important, and standing up for the right thing even more so (in reference to @SoFL_Dawg comment). However, reading a tweet with no context and jumping to conclusions isn’t the way forward. Case in point, there’s already a discrepancy in whether the coach called a player the word in question or just repeated it (which is also wrong and foolish). Was he trying to say the word has no place in the team as it appears he’s claiming? Did Dabo say anything to him away from the team? Or was it swept under the rug and ignored?

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

My understanding- assistant used the word, after the player used it, but not directed at the player or in a hateful attack. Assistant then apologized throughout the season for the mishap. Dabo was aware but no confirmation the apology was directed by Dabo or if it was just on his own. No record of actual discipline for the issue exists.

My opinion - This doesn't have much of an impact, but does bring into question if/why Dabo did not record/report/formally reprimand the coach. If he reviewed the situation with the coach, he should clarify that he did such and that he would never condone or tolerate such behavior on his staff.

• dgdawgdgdawg Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2020

In my opinion, Dabo is in a pretty sticky spot. It seems like there are two options.

One: Apologize for an incident that occurred years ago publicly. While this does seem more logical, it does still acknowledge the fact that he knew about the issue then and did nothing about it until now. Coupled with the only reason he is apologizing at all is because of public pressure and not out of integrity or genuine sorrow for the issue.

Two: You don't acknowledge anything and hope the situation goes away.

Either way it was badly played on his part specifically from a PR perspective.