Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Bad Look for Dabo

Comments

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

No one is advocating for black individuals to let people kill them. No one should assume that a cop is inherently more violent and treat them differently.

Agreed.

• Boss_DawgBoss_Dawg Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the gist of the protests are not just that a black man was killed by police but that complaints about police action are not always looked into, or if they are, a quick dismissal happens. So, a question back would be, Do you believe this affects the view of the African American community toward police?

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No stats just real life observations... A black man is more likely to face police brutality than a cop to face a random black man assaulting him. 🤔🙃

• dgdawgdgdawg Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2020

I agree one of the major issues at hand would be training. The most jarring thing to me about the whole George Floyd situation wasn't that the officer on his neck was not trained to do that. It was that the other officers around him failed to identify the issue and correct it. That to me screams lack of training from the leadership level down. However, if you are comparing military to police it is apples to oranges. Not only do military personnel go through a lot more training, they also fall under the UCMJ. Grunts/Military police themselves go through years of training throughout their career and the training itself is a lot more intense. This is probably why they are better under pressure.

Thank You!!! This is really appreciated.

A friend of mines said, "Theyre giving us so much sh!t for asking for equality, Imagine if we wanted revenge!" That struck me because its sadly true.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

So from my personal experience, at one time a bank manager, first management job id add, I worked in Riviera Beach, FL. Riv has great people living there, but it’s the “hood” of Palm Beach. To ensure our employees felt safe, we used a police detail at all times. All of them former military, most of them this was their first job post military. Because of that, I think there’s a lot of parallels that exist.

Many of these cops we’re younger than 30, most didn’t look like the community in which they were policing. Interacting with families like the Elams, who are community leaders within Riviera, positively changed the perception of many of these officers based on convos I had with them.

I don’t think the military and police is a far fetched parallel.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, hopefully you can continue to communicate there’s no revenge to be had. Killing today doesn’t erase history. How do you quantify how many should be killed? Who do you target? It’s just a foolish strategy although it’s happening. Truly a battle that can’t be won.

That said, no great movement in this country has happened without great violence. So hopefully this can be used as a catalyst to be the spark that promotes much needed change. Different topic that hopefully we can have a convo over a brew one day.

I mean from everything thebmedoa portrays it hasnt been peaceful but as a nurse Ive been at the protest in Dallas and the main aggressors where non-POC and police.

Being truthful the question was formed as a rhetorical. Similar to a Jane Elliot discussion...

• PhineasGagePhineasGage Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • dgdawgdgdawg Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2020

I'm glad you brought up the word perception there. The idea the the military and the police are similar in any regard needs to be altered. The difference in training, rules of engagement, and areas are responsibility are vastly different and their job performance/perception should be different as well. The problem is that the perception of police being militarized is horrible for community oriented policing which is the ultimate goal. This perception needs to be changed by the actions policing leadership at the highest level. They need updated training that shouldn't be similar to the military at all. There will be certain units like SWAT that will have military style tactics and weapons for specific purposes but the mindset will and should be different.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Dagnabbit!! I disagree with the gosh darn fake comparison. My grandmother would have laughed in your face, put her cigarette out in your grits and taken your $3 bill lunch money away from you.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I work with young people.

I do not curse, and I guess I use idioms...

I know a lot of good people who use them, and do not curse.

Pretty sure they are not fake.

Cursing does not make you "a real man," ""authentic," or "100%."

I don't judge adults, when talking to adults, using whatever at their disposal to communicate. I don't have a problem with it most of the time. But, I don't find my ability to communicate lessened because my vocabulary doesn't include certain words.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really dislike Clemson. They were my ORIGINAL hated team (my young sports fandom was born out of them "taking" our championship from us in '81).

But a former player of mine is good friend with Dabo's son. He has spent a lot of non-football time over there. Dabo's pretty authentic. You can dislike who you see - perfectly understandable - but a lack of authenticity doesn't seem to be the problem...

And, again... I hate orange. Just really think it's an awful color.