Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Bad Look for Dabo

Comments

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

I don't think we can call Gundy a good leader if he hushes up his players within hours of speaking out and also says this to them behind the scenes:

Just my two cent...

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, that one was interesting as well.

Also, not sure what you meant by your second post (I’m assuming Macon is an OKST player), but neither I nor @YaleDawg were calling Gundy a good leader. I agree with you that those kinds of comments are not indicative of a good leader.

Macon was an OKST player who is trying to transfer out as a graduate. I don't know that he is successful.

I wasn't sure what you thought of Gundy's leadership I just wanted to make more clear what sort of leader he is. I will edit my post to make it seem less like I am targeting y'all specifically.

No worries. Wasn’t offended, just trying to make sure I understood.

From a LONG way away, it seems that Gundy has some serious work to do in the leadership department. I believe Blutarsky nailed it in the blog post when he said that Gundy’s a guy who feels untouchable in his job. Comments like the one you posted from Macon seem to only confirm that.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gundy released a minute long video apologizing for the shirt, denouncing OANN, and saying black lives matter to him.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

Welp, I've stayed out of this discussion as long as I could.

Saying "black lives matter" is fine. (To most of us, this statement is obvious, but I understand the importance of virtue signaling in the current culture.)

Apologizing for the shirt is fine, if his players told him it made them feel uncomfortable, like a MAGA hat, or a confederate flag, or whatever. Ok. I don't love it, but I get it.

But did he actually go so far as to "denounce" OAN? If so then that is disappointing, and chilling.

OAN is a small, crapp.y network lacking in on-air talent, but it is no more extreme in its ideology than a number of the major networks. It just happens to occupy the other end of the political spectrum. For anyone who values free speech and freedom of the press, that's a good thing. Not something to be denounced.

Not sure what this thread is about any more, but hadn't seen these particular points made, and thought they were worth making.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see how Gundy saying OANN is bad is chilling with regard to the 1st amendment. He's a private citizen exercising his right to criticize a news organization. What part of the video made you think the government would punish OANN for its speech or hinder further speech?

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't seen the video. I was relying on your characterization. That's why I said "if." But to answer your question, I think @Raiderbeater1's picture says it all.

A government agent made Gundy film the video under threat of violence?

Well, CNN is a well known and mainstream news outlet. I never heard of OAN before Monday, and I’m more likely to watch Fox News than I am to watch CNN. Of course, that’s in the rare case that I watch cable news. Gundy’s free to watch whatever news outlet he likes, but he needs to pay more attention if he publicly supports a news network that calls a cause relevant to most of his roster a “farce.”

You’re spot on with the Che t-shirt, though.

edited June 2020

I agree. Gundy should not lose his job for wearing a t-shirt, but his athlete's do have a right to also share their opinions just like Gundy did by buying and wearing that shirt.

Now to answer your questions. First, I probably would be surprised is Gundy wore a CNN shirt. I didn't even know that major media outlets sold merchandise. That's kind of weird. Dawgnation may be the only media outlet that I would consider wearing a shirt for, but only, and I mean ONLY, if BA wore it to Jacksonville this fall when we were giving Dopey Dan his annual spanking.

Second Question: It is perfectly fine for Colin Kaepernick to wear a Che Guevara shirt because that is his right. It may not have been smart to do that, but it was his right. But do not forget he was later 'fired' from that job and then successfully settled with the NFL for blackballing him.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're missing the larger points.

IMO, this it's about hypocrisy and double standards. It's irrelevant whether CNN makes a T-Shirt or whether Gundy would wear it. It's the hypocritical response that matters. I was simply pointing out the double standard with respect to Kaepernick wearing a Marxist T-Shirt and it being fine, but national outrage is reached when a coach wears pro conservative apparel. Lastly, this is about falling in line with the political views and demands of those who are raising their voices the loudest. Is "Cancel Culture" really going to help lift up those who are at the lower end of the economic ladder? Doubtful.

I get it. "Cancel Culture" is ruining the opportunity to actually talk about things with some civility, but neither Gundy nor Dabo have been officially reprimanded from their individual schools. They may have irritated their fanbases, but they still hold a lot of power (especially those represented by Jimmy Sexton) and are not going ever have more the a slap on the wrist.

The irony is that us getting mad about people getting mad is hypocritical.

Back on topic, a bad look for Dabo. The troll said it best.

• Colonels17Colonels17 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think a better comp to OAN than CNN is TYT, but I agree with your point

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate