Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Barrett Salee seems to have a crush on Mullen and Trask

MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have always pretty much liked, appreciated and agreed for the most part with his take on everything really. But in his recent interview with BA I honestly thought that ole Barret had a lapse of clarity or started his holiday drinking at 6am or something.

1st we bring in Newman then another alpha Dawg in Daniels and he still thinks unless JT wins the job that Flurdah should win the east. Makes it sound like Newman still is a question mark in Monken's offense. Who he says quote " shouldn't be expected to turn into a juggernaut. Monken is a d a m n GURU and WILL have us lighting the board up with JN OR JTD. I'm not at all pretending that not having spring practice hasn't MAYBE "stunted" how fast some guys pick up the system and develop timing etc. He doesn't point out that at at Wake JN didn't have the supporting cast that he will with us. Better protection, better skill players and a defense that any QB in the country would KILL to have.

On top of that, he says Pickens is the only proven commodity that Monken has at his DISPOSAL (for the WR position.) Then says pretty stupidly that even Pickens isn't a proven go to alpha Dawg in the offense. How rediculous is that. Pickens is a freak and even non Dawg fans know that. Just curious how such a usually logical and reasonable guy can make such idiotic comments. Thoughts?

Comments

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My point exactly. He's a stud. But KS has owned uncle Eddie for his whole career not counting when Mullen was the OC at Uf during the Tebow days.

With an OC that knows how and when to do something based on what an opposing defense gives now with Monken; I absolutely expect us to AT LEAST win the cocktail party by 10 or more. Same salty and stingy defense but now with a guy that has lit up the scoreboard everywhere he's ever coached; AND an upgrade at QB. Plus more weapons than we had a year ago.

You and me both my friend lol. I hate ANYTHING to do with that school, team, town and ANYTHING that resembles something blue and stanky orange.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Pickens comment seemed like a below the belt jab at the GT fighting incident more so than a reference to his talent IMO. He wasn't sold on UF either. It kinda ticked me off how he danced around it all. He didn't want to commit to either team. Or the comment about how we need to "worry about UF before bama" I kept waiting for BA to reference the 1300+ days on the Gator Hater Countdown.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 I think that Barrett Salee enjoys being the "contrarian" sports journalist in the team(s) that he chooses to embrace year over year. There was a time in recent years (2018) that he actually (at that time), he embraced the Georgia Bulldogs during this time of year otherwise known as (AKA) the "talking season". He is just attempting to be noticed. That is basically it. He's doing all of this in order to get himself some notice by attempting to distance himself among the crowd of other journalists that cover the SEC.

I can see that and agree with you bud. Like I said I've actually pretty much always enjoyed hearing what he had to say. He always provided logic to any statement he made. But those few things I just didn't understand how anyone (especially someone who covers 🏈 to pay bills) could say such weird things that imo are only bulletin board material for us. I completely agree with ya tho on why he probably said things the way that he did.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15, I agree with him that we need to worry about Florida first. I agree with him that Pickens is the only “proven” offensive weapon right now. DRob has never separated himself. The other guys are freshmen, and Blaylock has to come back from injury. Zeus and Cook should be good, but they aren’t “proven” yet.

I’m of the belief that this whole “Florida are the East favorites” line is garbage, and is based entirely on schedule. 1-22 they are probably better than anyone in the East, except us, and I don’t believe they’re even with us 1-22. If they suffer serious injury, or a number of injuries (I hope not), their season is in jeopardy. Ours simply is not (maybe QB of Newman goes down and JTD isn’t eligible, but we’ll see).

edited July 2020

@GrayDawg or better still? Beat Florida 99 times out of 100!!! Or maybe ALL 100!!! LOL😂😂😂

edited July 2020

Oh I'm in total agreement with you brother regarding who is a go to play maker after Pickens. I can't remember exactly how he worded it. But in one sentence he said Pickens is the only proven commodity. Then immediately after that, said even he is somewhat unproven. Maybe he's talking about some of the issues like the scrapping with the db from nerdville. Idk. It is true that with Blaylock coming off of a serious injury in the SEC title game, we don't have anyone that stands out as OF RN. But I'm almost certain that Rosemy AND Burton should both finish their freshman years over the 4-500 yard mark.

And @GrayDawg I absolutely agree with you as well that NO rival game is a given. Even with our overall talent level/ blue chip ratio so much higher than Flurdah. However the 1 area I disagree is about the production our offense is going to see under Monken. The man knows how to pile up yards and points. If I'm wrong then I just whiffed on that one. But I expect our offense to be more explosive than it has any time in recent memory. Combined with such a dominant defense, we are gonna be extremely tough to beat unless we have a game like we did against the chickens last year. But not many teams can turn the ball over 4 times and expect to win unless your already putting up a ton of points. We couldn't do that because we were BEYOND conservative. Not as much with Coley as fat guy in a little coat Chaney lol; but still pretty predictable.

With Monken's experience both in the league and at the college level, he's seen it all and knows how to make adjustments.

In the 5 years under Kirby we've won some big games. And SHOULD ALREADY have at least ONE NC. The one thing I thought we were missing (which was the only thing separating us from Bama and CU and the recent success they've enjoyed) was we basically just had behemoth guys up front and tried to manhandle every team physically to the point where it seemed like so what if they know what we're gonna do as long as we execute. That can't work n the SEC against good defenses.

With Monken, imo his experience and philosophy will turn out offense into one of the best in the country. The man is an offensive guru. One testament to his knowledge and what he wants to do offensively is hearing some of these young recruits talk about his "new system" and what it entails; along with a WHY to everything he's teaching to offensive skill guys. Jmo but we are EXTREMELY lucky to have TM. And it's also jmo again but he is THE guy that will give us what HAS been needed all along. If we're not averaging 40 a game by week 6; I'll say maybe I jumped the gun and was too hopeful too soon. But I'm extremely confident TM will finally have OUR offense in the juggernaut category with the OU's and Bama's of the world. Jmo tho.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chaney was twice the coordinator Coley was. Chaney wasn't liked but he produced. Coley was more likeable but the production dropped off big time. It was hard to watch the offense last year.

I hope Monken is an improvement, and there is a lot of evidence to suggest he will be, but will he get free reign to open it up? Will he get immediate results? There are a lot of questions hanging. Hope and hype aren't worthy of my trust any longer.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Good post Gray. Not sure any OC will get "free reign" under Kirby, based on evidence so far. And "immediate" results is a tall order. (To answer your two specific questions.)

With that said, I am a big believer in Monken, and I think he will be incredibly successful with our talent. (The most he's ever had to work with.)

Not sure what this has to do with Mullen or Trask, but I like it!

Five years? Kirby is a championship caliber head coach. His learning curve is one that simply had to evolve too. Monken as the OC is the current signal that CKS is growing like he needs to in order for Georgia to win the NC. The signs of still being on the right path are there. We the faithful always look for the signs, don’t we? GO DAWGS!!!

• OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Saban became a Head coach in 1989, he won his first NC in 2003, people need to cut Kirby a break. He's well on his way only going in to the 5th year.

• BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You don’t hire someone like Todd Monken without making assurances they will have control. Of course the HC always has input into strategy. But Monken is the type of guy who had options. Kirby had to sell him and make assurances to get him here.

If Kirby wasn’t ready to change he’d kept Coley or hired an up and coming guy who would take the job to get it despite lack of control.

Youve seen Malzahn do this in recent years. However Malzahn maybe changing to but I hope not.