Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Florida has finally got it's dashboard back up after a 10 day gap,

9488 Cases today

The median age of cases has dropped resulting in the 35% in the 55+ range to 21% average the last 10 days. Prior to the current stretch of 27 days setting new records of cases (7 day average) the cases were 750 per day of which 250 were 55+. The average cases for the last 10 days were 7,450 of which 1,560 were 55+. Therefore although the young have increased disproportionately the cases of 55+ have still increased to 6 times what it previously was!

Hospitalizations today were 341 which passed the record set just yesterday of 325. The 7 day average now is 215, the first time exceeding 200.

deaths were 67 for the second straight day bringing the 7 day average to 45 which is 50% higher than the low point of 30 on 6/18.

July does not look good for either hospitalizations or deaths and something needs to be done now to prevent August also being bad.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn't mean him specifically I mean the collective whole. May be hard on some to take this advice.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

July 3rd Georgia new Covid case reports

10-17 57 cases , 1 hospitalization, 0 deaths

18-29, 954 cases, 1 hospitalization, 0 deaths

30-39, 535 cases, 22 hospitalizations, -1 death (subtraction)

40-49, 398 cases, 16 hospitlizations, 1 death

50-59, 324 cases, 30 hospitalizations, 0 deaths

60-69, 160 cases, 25 hospitalizations, 2 deaths

70-79, 80 cases, 22 hospitalizations, 2 deaths

80+ , 67 cases, 16 hospitalizations, 3 deaths

Again, this is not a complete total because I ignore child and infant cases. THere was a drop today over yesterday, which makes one wonder if perhaps some visiting protesters didn't return home and are being reported sick in other states????

• Options

What is the life loss at which you are okay with such protective measures? Are we supposed to start living this way in a year when the flu vaccine is a dud?

• Options
    edited July 2020

Or maybe it's because the number of test results dropped from 28K to 18K. The positive rate increased from 12% to 15%.

July 1-3 saw an 83% increase in the average tests/day over June but cases increased 169% due to more positive results (up from 9.3% to 13.7%).

• Options
  • Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

I have a general question for everyone--when we talk about "death rate" and "hospitalizations" what numbers are we using? I've read medical people saying they were coding a death as "Covid" when there was not enough evidence to support it. Do we believe those medical people? If you do, then "death rate" is not a valid number. How do we know if the death rate numbers were not under inflated as medical people failed to recognize covid in the first month or two? I'm conservative also, but I don't believe we have proof of much right now. We are using research over a 4 month period--all of which is suspect.

Given this, how can members of the public act as if they know anything? Seems to me caution is the better path. I wish the **** government would just make it law to wear masks and social distance and keep everything open as much as possible. That is the compromise position and I think a relatively safe position given the alternative of shutting down our economy. It is also the socially responsible and moral position to take.

• Options
    edited July 2020

@JayDog You are correct.

For starters, the CDC is just guessing. They really have no freaking clue. For instance, I’ve linked to a CDC document below dated June 25. This is what those clowns put out on why this disease impacts people of color at a disproportionate rate. In my opinion, this is a flat out racist and ignorant document when they start talking about “living conditions” for ethnic groups and minorities as a cause for increased susceptibility. The people who wrote this apparently think all of black America lives in the conditions we saw in the TV show Good Times. What’s sad is that these people are likely right here in Atlanta but have never visited south Fulton to see the gorgeous and wealthy neighborhoods that are almost entirely black. Yet these same people are also getting extremely sick. People of all races live pretty tightly together in the big cities. Blaming the effects of this disease on “systemic racism” instead actually trying to figure out a true medical cause is just lazy and a total failure on the part of the CDC.

The CDC basically says Native Americans experience more severe symptoms because they don’t have plumbing and don’t practice good hygiene. This makes me think of the claim photo ID voting laws discriminate against people of color. The Chuck Schumers of the World claim minorities either don’t know how to obtain an ID or some other silly and offensive reason. Yet go ask a black person on the street if they have an ID. Ask them if they know even a single adult that doesnt have an ID. The implications should be offensive.. That is essentially how the people in charge of this situation think. Black people get sick because they all live in housing projects where no food is available for purchase??? Really helpful. That’s our CDC. The so-called “experts.”

Now if only someone who believes the CDC’s explanation would please explain why the overwhelming vast majority of the doctors who have died from covid in the UK were people of color. It sure as heck isn’t due to their lack of access to quality healthcare or their impoverished living conditions.

• Options

For starters one third of doctors in the UK are immigrants and a disproportionate number worked in the facilities used to treat Covid patients. Given that they mainly came from places like Sudan, Sub-Saharan Africa, India, Sri Lanka etc. it's unclear how anyone knows what level of living conditions they grew up in. At least not enough to make a blanket statement that they certainly didn't experience impoverished living conditions.

• Options

It’s pretty uninformed to think black people in Atlanta, or any where else in the country, actually live any different than the rest of us. Their front doors might sometimes be a little more brightly colored, but the houses are of the same kind. Actually, I wager a fair amount that more white folks live in tin can single wide trailers surrounded by junk than any other race. There are certainly more poor white people than poor black people, just based on sheer numbers. Sort of the same thing as saying more white people are on welfare than black people. True story.

As for those doctors in the UK - pretty sure they had access to healthcare. THEY WERE DOCTORS. You’ve changed the meaning of the statement regarding “experienced impoverished conditions.”

The DV’ing is not a surprise. Intellectual thought is not always in high supply here. The point is - the reasons given by the CDC are bogus and you don’t need to be a sociologist to know it. Almost 6 months in to this thing and they are throwing out “systemic racism?” Come on. There’s a reason but that’s not it.

• Options
    BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

So, if you didnt know, I'm with all the smoke right now (this means I'm all for strong debate and will take it as far as you want to take it). Im going to give you, and those who think like you, history lessons. I've been watching the conversations. Ive seen what has been typed in the comfort of your homes and community. This screen makes a lot of you brave and say exactly what you are thinking. But those who know, know what you are saying. They are little whiffs of your true selves. That truth is that you dont care. You dont care what is being done to your fellow Americans. How they have to live and the conditions they live in doesnt matter to you. Your an ALL LIVES MATTER kind of guy, right? Well because you're so ill informed, I'm going to tell you.

If you ride through any place considered a ghetto in America and people of color are there, you will see where the buck stops. No money is spent in these places to improve life. It is some of the dirtier places to live because instead of spending money to clean up, money is spent to over police these people. They dont get the same education awarded to their counterparts. They dont get the same medical treatment. They dont get the same child care. With that being said, this is just what happens in America. In "3rd world countries" they go through it worst. There is no reason why places with the ritches resources in the world have the worst conditions, except systematic racism. Go to Sri Lanka and see how there ghettos look compared to our "trailer parks" here. Big difference. Places like these inforce education so hard that a lot of them become doctors and other super professionals. If you have a foreign doctor ask them about the conditions of their home country and what they lived through. People in these places around the world strive to be more because its life or death for them and their families.

Fun fact, you are correct that most people on welfare and living in provished conditions are white. This is only because they are the majority in this nation so the numbers are higher, as well as the fact that their counterparts from a very young age were told to not be bums and work for what they have.

The doctors that take care of you have impeccable healthcare, sometimes. You are more likely to survive a procedure as a caucasian than you are as a person of color, even as a doctor. And just because they are doctors does not mean they are immune from diseases and viruses. They are the front line and get it the worst sometimes. There have been countless doctors, nurses, and healthcare providers that lost their lives saving another's so have some respect.

Lastly, those doctors who come from improvised countries or neighborhoods are pushed into the same conditions that they left from, most times. They are sent or can only get jobs in improvised neighborhoods. And a lot of them get the worst of the worst cases because that is always were the worst of the worst cases are. And then there are those who just have a big hearts and want to help wherever there is suffering because they themselves have lived through it. All of these people deserve your gratitude and respect.

I hear the dog whistles. I hear the "phrasings". I hear the downvotes. I know what they mean...

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod
  • Options
    Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s happening. Not looking good for Florida schools or an on time start. I’m guessing if there’s a season it will be an October start maybe.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From the way it sounds they're about to move the season to the spring. If they have reputable information on another board, the hard deadline for TV to have any kind of fall season period is coming very, very quickly.

Will be a bit of a #)@#%#% show if correct. Guys like Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields likely won't play if so and opt to train for the draft, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of our upperclassmen defensive players did the same.

If the information is reputable, late start to the 2021 football season as well (November), and then back to normal in 2022.

Frankly I'm not sold yet that a February start is going to be any better. Any kind of team sports season until there's a vaccine or an in stone therapeutic might end up being a mess unless they decide to change protocols when the calendar flips to 2021.

This discussion has been closed.