Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Yes, the death rate will plummet when cases spike drastically for a disease that takes several weeks to kill. We won't know the true effect on the death rate for another couple weeks when we can tie case outcomes to this latest spike in cases. Given a higher proportion of younger people are being infected than before, I would expect the overall death rate to go down. However, many people are ending up in the hospital with conditions such as pulmonary embolism which can create chronic health issues and reduce quality of life.

edit: posted before seeing Kasey's comment

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Catching up...

I think there is some major psychological warfare going on against our people. At first I got it, is this the apocalypse? Well we quickly learned that it wasn't. Some have turned something real into an enormous scam... or hoax if you will. Stop being afraid. Life has risks. Be smart and move forward.

• Heart disease: 647,457
    • Cancer: 599,108
    • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
    • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
    • **** (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
    • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
    • Diabetes: 83,564
    • Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
    • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
    • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

In a normal year these are the leading causes of death in the US. Only a little over halfway through the year COVID-19 would be the 6th leading cause of death for the entire year. At the current pace COVID-19 will be the third leading cause of death in the US for 2020.

This graphic is also misleading as it looks at deaths for the entire world when the response to COVID-19 has varied greatly from country to country with varying levels of success.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Holy smokes.... even when faced with the stats you still spin it. Whatever it takes to make everything look as awful as can be so you can win in November huh? You mirror your politicians. And it's a shining example of why I don't support them.

Edit: 3 DV's. Because if you don't agree with the narrative, you must be silenced.

edited July 2020

Holy smokes... even when faced with the stats you still spin it. Whatever it takes to make everything look as great as can be so you can win in November huh? You mirror your politicians. And it's a shining example of why I don't support them.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Are you talking about me? If so my PMs are open as always. I try to be cool about everything and keep it on topic. Sometimes my bias and anger gets out but I like to think I’m (mostly) middle of the road on this issue.

I just want college football in the fall. I want sports back. People know what to do but choose not to for whatever reason. I’ve often stated both sides have politicized this for their own benefit. Why this shocks anyone I’ll never know. This silly infighting has been going on forever. Everyone thinks their side is the good side and the other side is the bad side.

we got a guy on here who just told us how he checked into the hospital with this thing and other posters saying how it’s not that bad, we gotta live life, you’re more likely to die of heart disease. I’ve heard it all.

once again I’m convinced no one wants to listen, everyone wants to talk and be right. Myself included a lot of times. Trying to get better. If you wanna talk more, get at me.

I don’t have covid

No one is silencing you. They’re disagreeing with you. We welcome your opinions here

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know how to PM anyone. Had someone already ask me to do this...

So I just post stuff. Not too crazy stuff, I think. Just call it like I see it.

I don't understand a lot of things about "sides" and views. But I know that everyone (and every viewpoint/political theory) is wrong sometimes. Unless you are on this board. Cause some cats on here have it figured out.

I am all about supporting our guy on here. Hoping and praying for his recovery.

But facts mean different things to different people. Maybe some people's experience is different with the virus. Maybe somebody lost a loved one to cancer or heart disease recently - not Covid. That's a stretch, but I don't know. I feel like everyone thinks every statement made must be a low-key middle finger to someone else.

I do know that always assuming a middle finger is a bad way to think and act. And there's been one-gun salutes all over the place.

I want:

Football

School

Parties

Church

Crowds

Restaurant food

...and all these sick people to be well.

BUT, I'm not gonna constantly blame others for a virus... Unless it's China (can-o-worms heard opening in the background)...

Def China’s main fault. But people who refuse to wear a mask when it’s been shown to slow asymptomatic transfer, I don’t know why it’s so hard to wear one. That’s me. I mostly agree with you on most things and think we have more in common than differences.

and I don’t care which political party brings that about.

All of us want to be able to go to work, enjoy our lives, and not have to worry about a loved one dying. People are pushing masks so hard because we believe it will get us to that place again.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hopefully the mask thing is becoming less of a hurdle and more of a common practice for everybody.

No doubt we would agree on a lot. I hope we can both try to be understanding of those who we completely disagree with, even when we think they are being moronic.

Some of my worst moments in life (foot-in-mouth disease) were when I assumed someone a moron, only to find out the context of their apparent moron-ness made them very sensible. I have found that most morons actually aren't true morons.

But a few are. And I should just walk away. Cause you can't reason with crazy (again, this is like 3% of the population...).

edited July 2020
  • CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We all are Texdawg. We all want this to be over. I wuld love cases to start going down. All I can do is my part by being conservative and cautious to make sure I'm not part of the spread. Maybe you and I can get together and when no one's looking knock some sense into the clueless youngsters who don't seem to care less about being careful.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well.....I've obviously been drinking a lot tonight.......and......I actually wear a mask everywhere now.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

In Florida it seems that Spurrier is in charge of Covid; he always has been gleeful in running up the score 🤣

In all seriousness, here is yesterday's scoreboard

Mississippi seems incapable of reporting Tests the same way on consecutive days.

That aside, the % positive numbers were also alarming at an average for the other 9 states of 14.5% (up from 9.5% for July 1-7). The average number of tests for the 9 states so far this month before yesterday was 292,461. Yesterday this was 280,477. Cases for July 1-7 averaged 27,881 while yesterday's was 40,612. This means that testing was roughly 12k below average but positives were almost 13k higher.

This post is purely made to make everyone aware of the issue. There is a lot of false narrative coming out from a number of people and my philosophy is and always been tell me the facts and I can deal with it. In business I used to tell my employees "I don't like bad news but can deal with it. I can't handle being blindsided".

Deaths related to these cases likely won't be seen until early to mid August.

This discussion has been closed.