Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

SEPTEMBER 11TH - Take Time Today

BrotatoChip88BrotatoChip88 Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey folks. Just wanted to start this thread in remembrance of that fateful day in 2001. The country was forever changed - I was 13 at the time, sitting in class in the 8th grade. Hope everyone takes time to speak with the Good Lord and thank Him for all that He has done for us as well as love on our family and friends. Tomorrow isn't promised so don't take your loved ones for granted as this day is a reminder that life can change in an instant. Shout out to all the good people who make this forum enjoyable like @JeffSentell , @MikeGriffith @SoFL_Dawg , @texdawg , @AnotherDawg , @Canedawg2140 , @Copedawg16 , & @Kasey , just to name a few. God bless and Go Dawgs! (P.S. - this is not meant to drum up political discussion of any kind but rather reflection & unity as Dawg Fans and Americans.)

Comments

• Copedawg16Copedawg16 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honored to even be mentioned. I love this forum.

Thankful for a lot of things today. Go Dawgs!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Appreciate you too Bro!

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great post, @BrotatoChip88. I was a senior in college. I’ll never forget that day. One of the most surreal things about it was that it was so beautiful out that day, not a cloud in the sky.

Thank you for the post.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMHO the most significant historical event of my lifetime. I was getting ready for work, turned on the TV as the second plane hit the towers. I enjoy and appreciate this forum.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Right there with you. I wasn’t there then so I doubt anyone much cares about what happened during my day. I’ve lived in nyc 15 years this month and it hits different. I can’t watch any of those movies either. Rather not relive on of the worst days of our lives.

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It is kind of weird, I remember my history teacher talking about when JFK was shot how the reaction was the same. Basically everyone who was alive at that time remembers exactly what they were doing in crystal clear detail when they first heard the news.

I was standing watch in engine room forward aboard our submarine. We were due to leave that day on patrol for two weeks and when the officers made the announcement many of my shipmates and I thought that it was pretense for a mock combat mission. We still ended up leaving that day and we were undersea for the two weeks with zero news and it wasn't until we were on our way back to port that we were able to get any information on it but that moment of it coming over the loud speaker will forever stay with me.

• brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was in 1st grade. Never forget it, not just today but the other 364 days also let's remember that we live in the best country on earth!

• builderspaintbuilderspaint Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited September 2020

I was a freshman in high school. I remember another teacher rushing in to class (SS) as we were switching periods. We overheard her saying something about a plane crash into a building in NYC. I rushed to my next class (science). We had a sub that day and told him to turn on the TV. We watched both buildings fall during that class. I knew immediately that something crazy had happened. There was basically no school the rest of the day. Every class was just tv on and kids conversing about the events.

It’s crazy how much I specifically remember about that day.

My mom’s bday is the 12th. I remember feeling sorry that she had to have a bday after that. She turns 66 tomorrow!!

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was in my first year of pharmacy school at UGA. We all found out by having our extremely dry anatomy professor come in and announced in monotone "2 planes have flown into the World Trade Towers, and one into the Pentagon... now the heart has 4 chambers, the left and right atrium, the left & right ventricle...." We we're floored and paying very little attention after that. My buddy was a coast guard reserve and got up and ran out of the room. And I remember it like yesterday.

I saved the cartoon clips out of The Red And Black student newspaper that week. I've still got them.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sophomore at UGA when this happened. I still remember wondering why everyone was hovering around a single 25 inch screen TV.

The confusion and panic of that day I will never forget. Time flies. Love yours.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was a young lawyer at the time, at the office. We all gathered in a conference room to watch events unfold on TV. I remember how many different reactions there were from my co-workers, lawyers and staff. Some were crying. Some were angry. Some went right back to work. Others pulled up a chair and just watched the news come in.

I had an overwhelming desire to go home and be with my wife and son. So that's what I did.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

in class when they called everyone to the gym. It was a eerie feeling watching the news. I remember wondering if this was the beginning of the end. Even though it was for a brief moment... it was cool seeing the unity American's had for each other after that day. The kindness and compassion was everywhere.

Appreciate this place and appreciate that even in today's climate we can still step back and remember this moment.

• Howie3bHowie3b Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was working on a landscape TV show for HGTV in Peachtree City. We walked in the house and watched the news for about 39 minutes. Then they made us go back to work. They had a deadline. Blew my mind. Will never forget driving home and the uneasy feeling of not having planes taking off and landing as I passed. No planes in the air anywhere. Crazy insane. Wish we could all keep that moment close to our hearts at all times instead of one day a year.

• Cid23341Cid23341 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was in the office when a random guy walked and said a plane hit 1 of the twin towers, we thought it would be a small private plane. We turned the TV on in time to see the 2nd plane. What stuck out to me later that day, a co-worker and I walked outside and stared at the sky, there were no planes anywhere, you don't realize how many planes are flying until there not. That feeling will always stick by me.

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was in Australia asleep when it happened(around 11pm in Melbourne). Found out about it early(3 am) when a friend called to let me know what happened. Watched the coverage until 8 when I had to leave to attend my former father in laws funeral. Never will forget how everyone treated me at work the next day. Had every one of those Aussies coming up asking if I was ok and if I knew anyone in the buildings and was the same as I was out on my route that day. As @JRT812 said, it was great seeing the unity of not just the USA but Australia as well.