Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The B1G...

Comments

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Says who? You? If you think they're going to send a 2nd/3rd SEC team with 2 losses in the CFP instead of a 6/7-0 Big Ten champion Ohio State, then you are wrong and don't understand the realities of the CFP and its selection members.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

"They sure aint gonna so them any favors for the playoffs."

I hope your right. But I think the power 5 and Playoff committee will, at some point this season compromise on the playoff situation.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why even play a season then?

just go ahead and give us a playoff of Bama/Clemson/OSU/Oklahoma

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It wouldn't really affect the draft at all, the only exception might be the senior bowl would move. The draft is held towards the end of april/may. I would guess that it could also affect the guys training for the combine but the most important part of that is the medical testing especially for the guys at big schools. And the guys at the smaller schools wouldn't be affected by the playoffs being later.

• OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2020

For TV reasons you are correct. Would they deserve in, no. 3 or 4 less games? You can't say anyone wouldn't drop a game. It'd be apples to oranges.

edited September 2020

Exactly what I've been hearing up here, too. Big Ten admin. been rooting for SEC/ACC/Big 12 to collectively fail. Ever since season is a likelihood, majority has been looking for a way for $$$ and CFP spot, while saving face at the same time. Limited participation and schedule under Big Ten by-laws takes care of former. "New game changing tests!!!" takes care of latter.

I won't argue with you there. More than any other year in college football history, you can narrow down 3 out of 4 national championship players in Sept. It will be Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma (with TX, a possibility), and SEC champ.

The odds for Ohio State and Clemson winning their conference are historically, absurdly (but justifiably) high.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

12-0 Clemson

7-0 OSU

10-1 Oklahoma

9-2 Bama

9-2 UGA (Beat Bama in Bama lost in SECCG) also lost to Auburn or somebody else or had to forfeit a game BC COVID-19

Who goes and where are they ranked?

I think it'll be:

1) Clemson

2) OSU

3) Oklahoma

4) Bama

I think it should be:

1) Clemson

2) Bama

3) Oklahoma

4) UGA

The SEC needs to drop the SECCG. there is no benefit of it.

The SEC is gonna cannibalize themselves with the extra 2 games

If the ACC & Big 12 had quality teams then they'd cannibalize themselves also, but they don't so Oklahoma and Clemson will run through their conferences unscathed.

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless UGA wins the SECCG, we should all be rooting for OU to win the Big 12 again...I think there's a bit of OU fatigue after multiple years of them getting a CFB berth and getting rolled.

Unfortunately - I think Texas could actually win that conference this year and could see the committee giving a new Big 12 champion not named Oklahoma a berth over a 2nd SEC team.

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL . 8 games minimum to get in. 6 no possible way. Mark it down.

Well, we'll find out in December. They are almost certainly going to schedule at least 8 games. If some end up playing only 6 regular games because of COVID cancellations and OSU ends up 6, 7, or 8-0 as Big Ten conference champs, they will 100% be in. "Deserves" got nothing to do with it.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems that a team playing 11 games to get to the playoff would potentially be more banged up than a team playing only 7 games. Couldn't that be seen as a competitive disadvantage for the Big Ten? I hope they do not allow teams into the playoff who didn't survive a 10 game season and a championship.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am in the camp there is no way they allow a team in playing only 6 games when everyone else would have played 10 or 11.

@MinnesotaDawg $50 to charity of choice if they end up with a 6 game season?

edited September 2020

Absolutely, I'm in. Although I think there's only a small chance that Big Ten champ only plays 6 total games (considering the championship game). Or are you willing to say 6 win regular season plus championship is not enough to get in?

Ground rules....If a 6 (or 7)-0 Big Ten Champ gets into the playoff, I win. Correct?

• fatdawgfatdawg Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Listening to Ohio State people the Natty is already theirs. Apparently covid was the only thing that could stop them.

I do not think they lose in-conference but I would have schadenfreude if after all this Penn St or someone else beat them.

• Cid23341Cid23341 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

So the team that wanted an Asterisk Next to whoever won the Natty is now claiming to be the favorite, even though they may only play a six or eight game schedule.😂

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After the B10 cancelled their season they said the teams could still practice. It has been rumored that Justin Fields has been either in Atlanta or Orlando working towards the draft so he hasn't been practicing with OSU football team. Does he drop the NFL workouts to go back to OSU or what?

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I were him, I wouldn’t return to Ohio unless I were playing for (or against) the Bengals or the Browns.