Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The B1G...

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Agreed. All they had to do was say we are pushing back two weeks while we further evaluate and saved themselves a lot of grief and many of their best players sitting out.

• Options
    Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They will fall back on the updated and improved testing excuse.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wait for it...

Certain people will be disappointed that the B1G gave in to temptation and are chasing the almighty dollar. They tried to make the right decision but the inability of less refined conferences to the south to follow their noble lead made them out to be the bad guy in this. There is no reason to play sports when children can't even go to school like normal. How can people be so selfish that they can't see the truth?

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

Power corrupts and Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely...

Can't believe some of these presidents continue to hold the conference, their fellow member universities and the student athletes for all Fall sports (not just Football) hostage for ego. Hot mic or not - the Nebraska president isn't telling people "we're getting ready to announce Huskers & Big Ten Football tonight" for his health. They were ready to make an announcement but some subset of the presidents are now presumably letting him twist in the wind because they didn't get to control the message to best suit them.

"Public trust" indeed. Imagine being the parent of an athlete and living with this uncertaint....oh - that's right: Commissioner Warren's son is getting ready for his week 1 matchup against LSU.

• Options

At a minimum - Ryan Day & Joe Franklin just moved up the candidate list for whichever SEC HC gets the axe after this season. Why would you stick around if they don't play if you were either of them?

• Options
    Filo_BettoFilo_Betto Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exhibit A of why good leaders are so critical. While I'm hesitant to give too much credit to Sankey and the SEC ADs/Presidents,I believe they started from the position that "we are going to play football no matter what" then told the lawyers and medical professionals to figure it out.

Now that we have gone through the misery of shut downs and cancellations since April (much of it self-induced and unnecessary), I hope Governors/Mayors/administrators have learned the right lessons.

• Options
    70dawg70dawg Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I Would question what o$u might look like without Fields.

Who's to say he's automatically going to show back up and play in such a short season for them.

It would do little to nothing for his draft stock. Just a thought

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Exactly. Especially when their star CB who came back to specifically win a title has already opted out.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know OSU has had a few players announce they are opting out. I know they can opt back in, but what if they haven’t been practicing or working out with the team? Where has JF1 been during this time?

• Options

Allegedly announcement coming tomorrow AM with Maryland the last holdout...we will see.

God Bless The SEC

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, there's always a chance of that, I guess. But not very likely, IMO, as he has been extremely outspoken in his desire for a college season regardless of special conditions, COVID, etc. Recall his "Let us play petition." If he did opt-out now, would be a pretty bad look given his very public stance just a couple weeks ago. Unlike some of these players, Fields' handlers are highly attuned to his public image and future branding. That's probably more of a consideration than his draft status, which is pretty solid whether he plays or not.

As for whether he's been at school, in Atlanta, taking classes, signed with an agent, working out with the team, etc....? Who knows. But I do know that OSU tends to have a way of not letting those things really matter.

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Big 10. The self appointed conference of Legends and Leaders. Especially the Leaders...they are really shining.

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That was an attempt to keep the season on schedule.

Now with the shorter season and no guarantee of a playoff, I'm sure he’ll opt out.

I just think it’s crazy that we swapped Fields for Mathis and now look at us!

#DawgsOnTop

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, if he opts out, feel free to tell me I was wrong. I certainly wouldn't mind it.

• Options
    OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree. I mentioned it before, A lot of the higher ups in the Big 10 are academics. They are big time research schools. They really don't give 2 poops about football. Not where the money comes from. Just look and see.

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate