Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How many of these "great American novels" have you read?

tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Last of the Mohicans

The Scarlet Letter

Moby D!ck

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Great Gatsby

Absalom, Absalom!

The Grapes of Wrath

The Catcher in the Rye

Invisible Man

To Kill a Mockingbird

Gravity's Rainbow

Blood Meridian

Beloved

How many of these "great American novels" have you read? 80 votes

All 14
0%
0%
2%
BiffLowmanCasanova_Flatulence 2 votes
1%
DakotaDawgFan 1 vote
5%
how2fishrazorachillesCid23341babs 4 votes
8%
JoelSidneyKellyPalm_City_DawgMinnesotaDawgJAXDAWGAtomicDawg13DuckDawg25dawggirl81 7 votes
11%
dirtypantsThelordjohnsonAnotherDawgYaleDawgTMoody23DawgGirl96carnivoreOdinDawgByte 9 votes
10%
dawgnmsLinebackerTwochattdawgChicagoDawgBoss_DawgTurkDawgCLT_Dawgpocoyo 8 votes
20%
tfk_fanboyPTDawgpgjacksonGradyDawg85papadoc19Razor2027BrotatoChip88Mia_Dade06DawginCObmartinbwmWNCDawgkevoATLMed_DawgMcDawg09DavidHbordersdawg 16 votes
5 or less
41%
BamaDawgnickcreighton5mattmd2Diablo_and_DocfareastdawgbmauldinRotgutHenley79amfirechristopherulesgreshamdiscoKaseyJRT812Big_PruneJimWallaceGrayDawgDogsNotDawgsRxDawgdeutcshland_dawgCanedawg2140 33 votes

Comments

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was surprised at some I thought would be on the list that were not and also how many I have not read. Four I own but have not read yet though I have increased my reading/audiobook listening a lot this year so I will get to them

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad (but surprised) to see Blood Meridian on there. Great book. Great author.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    5 or less

I think Freedom by Jonathan Franzen should be added to this list as someone who has read only three of the above, clearly I know what I’m talking about.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    5 or less

Blood Meridian is a favorite. My number was 5, would be 10 if you included cliff notes.

• Cid23341Cid23341 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Read 10 of them, all in high school and college, the 4 I haven't read, I've never heard of. I don't think I've read a novel since college, it's all biographies now and not a lot of them. I tend to read articles that take less than 20 minutes.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    5 or less

And I read a lot.

• carnivorecarnivore Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Gravity's Rainbow, LOL! when it was first published, i read the first 50 or so pages and thought to myself ****??? so I went back and started over from the beginning, only to have the same reaction some fifty pages or so into it. Believe it or not, I went back a third time and got to the ~50 page mark again, said well, I still don't get what I'm reading, but i'll just keep on. I read it all the way through that third attempt. Over the years, I've read it all the way through three times. obviously, a very rewarding novel, IMO. the disgusting English Candy drill and the Rocket limericks are priceless. oh, did I mention there's a dominatrix and a fantastic orgy scene in there as well?

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    5 or less

@tfk_fanboy I actually consider myself to be quite a bit of a bookworm too. I'll get right on to the ones that I haven't gotten to as of yet. There are just so many others that didn't even make your list? Volumes, and volumes have been written as to which ones belong on the list of the greats, and which ones do not. PS - I absolutely love to read.

I should have lead with it is not my list in that I did not create it. I am listening to The Great Gatsby today, have not read since HS, and while it was playing I looked it up on Wikipedia, clicked link about great American novels, and I pulled it from there. I was surprised there was no Hemingway, for example.

And a lot of the books on the post you linked would not qualify as the great American novel :-)

I am going through Ulysses right now too. One chapter a day, as then I go here and read supplemental info for a better understanding:

http://www.ulyssesguide.com/

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Six, but the last three I don't know at all. I've read at least chunks of the rest, but labored details bog me down. John Steinbeck is one of my all time favorites.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure how you have a list of American classics that long without Hemingway. But I enjoyed the exercise.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    5 or less

I R Dumb

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've read 12 on that list. I recommend everyone read the classics, including Shakespeare, Milton, Chaucer, Homer etc. Once I finish the three books I'm currently reading I'm going to set out on a multi-year project to re-read the classics and pickup the one's I missed.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    5 or less

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Birkshire Hathaway annual reports

• dawggirl81dawggirl81 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

Absalom, Absalom! is the toughest book I've ever read, but also the most brilliant. Faulkner was in another league.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    5 or less

I read a lot, too, but almost exclusively non-fiction.

5 or less

@tfk_fanboy I HIGHLY recommend (if you do not already have it??) the FREE APP for listening to FREE AUDIOBOOKS in the library APP known as “overdrive”... there’s also a later version called “Libby” too.

YOU can listen to downloaded FREE audiobooks through your local library using your library card and your iphone (or Samsung) from their online virtual library. These are the exact same books that people PAY Audible for!!! AMAZING!!!

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fear In Loathing is not exactly a classic in the traditional sense, but is very entertaining nonetheless. Did you read Hunter Thompson's stories as a Journalist for the LA Times at the back of the book? Very interesting indeed.

absolutely, I used to use Overdrive and currently use Libby. I have an Audible membership and do the 12 credits at once, and now with the recent Plus update I have more books than I could listen to, but I still use Libby for something I don't want to pay for. Usually a short book, a book my son wants to listen to, etc. But it is a fantastic resource that more folks should take advantage of.

5 or less

@tfk_fanboy Awesome. So? (my full disclosure here) with my schedule, and my deteriorating eyesight at age 57??? I do not actually "read" all that much anymore. LOL I really DO love audio-books though!!!