Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Do you think its okay for a player to opt out midway through the season?

deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Miss St RB Kylin Hill has decided to forgo the rest of the season in order to prepare for the NFL Draft. A coworker and I just had a little disagreement on this. I was shocked and appalled that a player would do this to his team while my coworker said he has no problems with it. I completely get my coworkers point that he is protecting himself and his possibility of earning life changing money for his entire family. To me it just isn't right. If you want to opt out it should be before the season starts. You don't quit on your team, ever...

Do you think its okay for a player to opt out midway through the season? 69 votes

Yes, gotta get mine
24%
Stef_Lew_478tfk_fanboyTeddyDiablo_and_DocMarkBoknechtajf611otis1105pgjacksondawg723hamsandmichRandomFanmantis_toboggan69ftn49darklangothis_sidednessdgd829armeck 17 votes
No, being a team player still means something
65%
BamaDawgamjadawgsJayDogbull68dawgPalm_City_DawgCZCashvilleDawgBiffLowmanchattdawginsertusernamehereJAXDAWGjc30116Dawg1419johnnoJimWallacelkreed91allywAnotherDawgGrayDawgRxDawgdeutcshland_dawg 45 votes
Who cares? It's not a UGA player
10%
BigDawgBrinkfareastdawgDawgsince76greshamdiscoAndersonDawgLORTreyL93 7 votes

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not going to say they can't do it. But I'll sure think a lot less of someone that does without some extreme circumstances.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

I'm not saying take away the option. A person should be able to make their own decisions on what's best for them. I'm just wondering if i'm the crazy one for still believing being part of a team means something.

You can't force someone to play a sport. If they want to quit, they can quit.

I think a better question is can and should the school immediately cancel their scholy? Send them a prorated tuition bill for the remainder of the semester? Or just let it go. I imagine most would just let it go to avoid the headache. But if it became common enough you might see something like that.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

that would be a can of worms imo. Could see a major negative impact in recruiting but it could effect the transfering as well. Send the bill to the new team if they transfer before the semester is over.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes, gotta get mine

I say let people do what they want to do... Now, I know it hurts his team. But isn't going to college, in general, about securing your future? If this young man thinks he's secured his future, who am I to tell him what to do regarding his future?

This really doesn't matter to Miss St. in the long run, if they were competing a little better I believe he'd finish the season out (but they are 1-4 and only Vandy has a worse record in the SEC). A player at UGA, Bama, OSU, etc. with championship possibilities still in front of them will keep playing. Notice how UGA players didn't opt out during the '17 run, but did opt out during Sugar Bowls? It all depends on what the players have left to play for in college. If it isn't much and they see millions waiting on them in the NFL, then they'll work to secure their future. That simple.

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Need another button that says need more info. In most cases I’d say play and I think players want to play. But if there’s lingering injuries that could get worse by playing or the team or coaching staff has “quit” then I think you can make an argument for it.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Obviously a player can quit the team at will, but saying that doesn't mean they should.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Every individual has their own story to which we are not privy. There could be something going on that makes this "more understandable."

But, the "q" word applies in this instance. Doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. Doesn't mean it's not the logical choice. Doesn't mean it's not in the best interest of the kid. Doesn't mean there isn't something in the program or staff that has changed.

It's still that word. And I realize that is a "trigger" word. Doesn't change the definition of the word.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you lie, you're a lier. If you cheat, you're a cheater. I you quit, your a quitter.

If you don't like the narrative that YOU have created through your OWN decisions, wake up tomorrow and change the narrative. That's your freedom, that's your choice, and you have to power to do it.

But don't blame the narrators for calling it as it is. Too many people want to claim the details change the definition of these words that have always meant something. They don't.

Do better next time and fix it, don't complain about the commentary on it...

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes, gotta get mine

He also is dealing with a new coach and leach doesn't care about making friends...

He probably didn't like the new scheme and once the **** hit the fan, he didn't see much reason to stay

not to mention the BLM movement that he spoke out strongly against his states response

no point to potentially ruin your NFL career for this Miss St team

Yes, gotta get mine

Who's complaining about the "q" word? Just curious. Either way, if I'm set to make millions you can call me a quitter all you want. haha

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

My guess is that he might not stay in school this current term - especially if he has eyes on the league. No need to drop his scholly in that case. If he does finish out the term, I'd let him keep it and then move on to the next stage of his life. The school can't "stash" the money and save it for a rainy day....they only have 85 scholly's and those are around every year.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is a lot of upheaval at Mississippi State with Leach this year. He's already stated that he would get rid of players that are not doing what he wants. As a RB I can see Hill's point in an air raid system. It looks like Leach is doing the same thing that Morris did at Arkansas, change the entire system without the players suited for that system and then blame the players for your system not working. Look at what Sam Pittman has done at Arkansas by playing a system better suited to the players he had in the program. If you want to totally change your system, do it slowly as you bring in the players you need for that system. So in this sense I really don't blame Hill for opting out in the middle of the season. Especially since the coach has already publicly stated he would dismiss any player that couldn't play his system.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not about being called a quitter.

What if, in one hundred years, God let me watch a movie of my life and I was at the scene where I was given the option to leave the team for financial ambition or remain with the team which would postpone and risk my potential millions? Would I be proud of the protagonist?

It's not a clear cut answer to make for myself; What was my true motive? Was their a coach or teammate having a positive or negative influence on my life? Was I a positive influence for a specific person? How will it affect my friends/ family? If money is my primary motive, should it be?

I'm sure I couldn't possibly know if it's right or wrong or even "okay" for someone else to make a complicated life decision.

Yes, gotta get mine

Not saying that I think this is about being called a quitter. I was responding to someone who was making it about that. To answer your questions below in italics;

Would I be proud of the protagonist? Yes, I did what I thought was best at the time. That doesn't mean I won't miss playing with my teammates.

What was my true motive? Securing mine and my family's financial independence , or possibly fulfilling a life-long dream of playing in the NFL, or both

Was their a coach or teammate having a positive or negative influence on my life? Does a coach or a teammate have to stop being a positive influence if I opt-out? If they do, are they really a positive influence or using me for my talents?

Was I a positive influence for a specific person? You can still be a positive influence after opting out.

How will it affect my friends/ family? Getting into the NFL helps them by providing opportunities I never dreamed of

If money is my primary motive, should it be? It doesn't have to be, but are players supposed to ignore life-changing money?

"It doesn't have to be, but are players supposed to ignore life-changing money?"

No they shouldn't ignore life changing money. But they should make that decision in the off season. Rather than let someone think they can count on you in the heat of battle only to drop them because you're not winning any more. That's not someone I'd want to be in a foxhole with.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's difficult to comprehend.....but the world is changing.....certain things just don't seem important any longer.

I believe young people that are still taught the values of perseverance and overcoming adversity will have a huge advantage in this culture. Especially as they start careers or start new businesses.

I realize many don't agree with us.....and that's OK.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

The university has made a commitment to you. It has spent money and provided resources.

If they do opt out, then they should have to repay what they were given. That would be the only fair way to handle this stuff. Basically pay tuition for the years they opted out.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020
    Yes, gotta get mine

It's not the military. They are free to leave any time. What, are they going to FORCE him play? He should have some penalty like repaying partial scholarship or something...but if a player wants to leave, it's still a free country.