Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Nick Saban blames his players for UGA loss

Comments

• jimymgu3jimymgu3 Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

So I think what he’s trying to say is that Kirby’s players bought in to his system and Saban’s didn’t.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The NCAA transfer portal is partly to blame. If you're not getting in the field, you just pack up your stuff and hit the portal. That's probably what these guys were thinking. Instead of being ready to play, for Alabama, they were just waiting for a chance to play for Alcorn State.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting, that Burton chose to transfer out of the frying pan and into the fire. LOL

The multi-million dollar coaches...that's who. Coach em up Saban or move em to the practice squad or run em off. That's your job.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Regardless of the myriad of excuses from Nick the Dawgs were ready to play in the 4th qtr, Bama wasn't. Great game, great season and I think we will be formidable next year as well....

Trio???? We had more than 3. Kelee Ringo, Brodrick Jones, Van Pran, Adonis Mitchell, Ladd McConkey, Arian Smith,, Brock Bowers, just to name a few off the top of my head. 4 of them made the Freshman All-American Team.

UGA's Freshmen were better than BAMA's Freshmen. Like Paul Finebaum said, "You don't win National Championships in January. You win them in pre-Spring workouts, Spring Practice, Summer workout programs, recruiting, coaching and preparation.". UGA flat out did a better job of that and now they are Champions. It's just that simple.

There are no excuses...especially if you're Alabama. Their recruiting classes have supposedly been just as good as UGA's, if you believe the metrics put out by ESPN and other sports outlets. The one thing those guys can't and don't quantify, is Heart and mental toughness. Smart and his crew are the best at identifying those attributes...IMO.

Git em big "D".

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Throwing players under the bus! LOL Way to go Nick, keep talking like that and more and more recruits will come our way.

I don't think Smart wants the type of player he described in his rant. I have a feeling, you'll be hearing the same thing come out of Jimbo Fishers mouth in 2 or 3 years. He didn't cull em either. Took all comers as long as they had at least 4-5 STARS after their name.

That's not the Smart method. Excuse the pun. LOL

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good, God, what a crybaby! Saban is the biggest crybaby in all of sports. It’s been over a month since we’ve won the natty, and he’s still crying and making excuses. Maybe he needs his diaper changed! 😂

Hush little Saban, please don’t cry. Take this tissue and dry your eye. 🤣

GO DAWGS!

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You lost in the fourth quarter... We had players hurt the whole year.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been a while since I last heard a head coach trash his players so publicly. But really not much of a surprise to me, since Saban is one of the biggest sour pusses on the planet. By the way, he's probably absolutely right, but that stuff is usually reserved for the locker room or practice field. Go Dawgs!

• RxDawg06RxDawg06 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Sad that Saban feels like he has to trash 3 young men in order to make himself feel better about getting beat by Georgia in the Natty.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Have you guys noticed that Bama fans whine about their injured players. Do they know our defense was playing without a 2x All American (Tykee Smith), another probable DB starter (Jalen Kimber) and a potential All American and our sack leader (Adam Anderson) and our back-up Rian Davis? Also, true they lost 2 fabulous receivers on offense, but most of our WRs were out all year and not at full speed for the playoffs (Pickens, Jackson, Blaylock, etc). Our offense was also playing without 2 starters from our first game (Tate Rutledge and Arian Smith). One could also argue that we were missing our starting QB since he apparently never got his mojo back after his 2 early season injuries. As my HS coach would say, “excuses are for losers and you never hear winners make excuses”. Go Dawgs!!!

• brinkmanmsbrinkmanms Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ha! First mention I have seen about missing Adam Anderson! I think he would have made a huge difference for us in the SECCG, and might have turned the Natty into a blowout.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This rant from Saban comes down to one thing. Over the past 5-7 years Saban seems not as focused on his “process” and has seemed more focused on running up crazy stats/high score (seemingly to impress recruits/transfers), Heisman voters, the CFP selection committee etc. Over that same timeline Kirby has established a process at UGA that is strikingly similar to the BAMA of old.

In January KIRBY BEAT NICK AT HIS OWN GAME.

All the running up the score and leaving your starters in is nice for Saban when the pundits are talking and his kids are winning awards; but come January - the consequences arrive. His star WR’s had a ton of mileage on them and endured non-contact injury plus their unnecessary reps left his freshman WR’s with nearly zero experience. His OL/RB room was decimated with injury; and the worst part about this is that it’s because he’s seemed to not be able to sort his defense out until the seasons half over the past few years…. Consequence of this was his depth on defense didn’t get near the snaps UGA’s did and the depth at DB had almost zero experience as a result.

If Saban had his coaching staff focused more on developing talent and fostering buy in rather than winning games they’d have still likely have won most all their games; but that didn’t happen.

Now go put a sock in it you angry, hypocrite, Saban.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2022

Wow. When I read this, you could have knocked me over with a feather. While I've never been a Bama fan, I've always thought Saban was a quality leader. If this is what's been hidden behind the stoic mask of Saban all along, then I was wrong...

What's missing here is Senior Leader 101: whether it's a team, company, country, or whatever, when there's a win, the senior leader gives everyone else the credit; when there's a major loss, the senior leader takes the hits first, others a distant second (even if it really WAS others' fault). The important thing as a leader is to remember when these rules apply (esp. in public): ALWAYS. Dirty laundry stays "in the family" so to speak.

I agree with those who say this will affect recruiting. While UGA clearly doesn't want the type of players Saban spoke about, many other great, high-character players will NOT want to be under a leader who doesn't stand up for the whole team.

Saban will undoubtedly go down as one of the all-time coaching greats. However, I have no doubt this will be a blot on his record that will be difficult to erase for a long time into the future. Maybe it is indeed a major foreshadowing of a true "changing of the guard"... time to consider making the Saban lake house a permanent, as opposed to second, home? 🤔

Whatever the case, kind of a sad day for the Tide faithful... but a great thing to remind ALL Dawg fans of the quality leader WE now have 😁