Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Nick Saban praises Jermaine Burton, Georgia fans should understand why

SystemSystem Posts: 10,425 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageNick Saban praises Jermaine Burton, Georgia fans should understand why

ATHENS — Georgia transfer Jermaine Burton is off and running at Alabama catching passes from Heisman Trophy quarterback Bryce Young this spring.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let’s wait until mid point of the season then there can actually be an intelligent conversation about Burton. What Bama’s receivers of the past did has absolutely nothing to do with what Burton will do in the future. Saban’s mention of Burton may say more about the condition of Bama’s receiver group than it does about Burton.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will he stay healthy?

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Burton decided to transfer because a tight end had the most number of catches and yards than any receivers at GA. The very reason why GA was able to win the National Championship, as a "team." That came from Burton himself. If that's not selfish, then I don't know what is. Also, people change jobs because a job has nothing to do with the team, and everything to do with "self" only. So "YES" Jermaine Burton is very selfish.

• Options
    KirbyFanKirbyFan Posts: 22 ✭ Freshman

Burton couldn't stay healthy, not Stetson's fault. These other Freshman stepped up and were playing better and 2 of them caught TD'S against Bama in the National Championship game in the 4th Quarter.

Burton will not stay healthy catching 100 balls which is what Bama usually does to its top 2 guys.

BTW Stetson had the 5th highest passer rating in the country. Georgia's scoring Offense averaged 1.5 points a game less than mighty Alabama and both of those players got hurt at the end of the year. PS If you're a Great Receiver, you will get drafted.

Mike some pretty misguided stats you published, did you really have to do that if what you were saying was true. I normally like a lot of what you say but that was pretty bush league. Most of those Receivers were not going to see the field!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

I look down that list of WR's that transferred and , aside from Burton, all of them were recruited over with better players. Them leaving allowed UGA to recycle those scholarships to higher rated players. Something Alabama excels at every preseason. Based on Burton's injury propensity the jury is still out on just how successful he will be at AL. It also remains to be seen what the fallout at AL will be for recruiting Burton into the program over incumbents. AL recruited 11 4* and 5* WR's over the last 3 cycles. It will be interesting to watch who stays and who leaves and how the PT and targets are distributed. For this reason I would not expect CKS to accept a transfer at WR over the 6-7 guys he already has that can play. As to UGA's drafted wr's, draft position is directly proportional to talent (ie stars). UGA has not recruited as well as AL at the WR position. UGA does need to develop an offense and QB that can utilize multiple route trees and the entire field.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...Couldn't agree more. I couldn't give a rat's patutie how you move the ball, control the clock and score, as long as you can do it. And UGA did it with the best of em last year...with and without Bourton on the field.

One STAT Mike glossed over with zero mention....

Daniels threw almost half of his pass attempts (30) last year against Clemson completing 2 to Burton for a whopping 11 yds. Bowers, McConkey and the RB's accounted for 14 completions (roughly 50%) for 84 yds..

Daniels offense scored a colossal 3 points in the game...or Blankenship did, anyway.

"Burton can't block"...and that says it all. It's why he didn't see the field more often.

JT's not mobile, can't run and can't stay healthy. He's gone.

Burton can't block, can't get open and can't stay healthy. He's gone.

End of story. Stay tuned for success.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why does UGA "need to develop an offense and QB that can utilize multiple route trees", exactly? To score more points? To win by a larger margin? To win a Championship?

They only scored a point less per game than the second best team in the Country using a QB with the 5th highest rating in the Nation. I don't get your point.

Personally, I don't care if they use a route twig...they balled out all year with one hiccup...then spit out a Championship.

I'd say, they're doing precisely what they need to do, already. LOL

• Options
    Dawgin_In_MemphisDawgin_In_Memphis Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Whether Burton is actually doing well or not...it's in Saban's best interest to say (about EVERY transfer) "This guy is doing great here. His last team wasn't maximizing his potential like we do here at Alabama, so anyone else who's considering transferring definitely should jump on our bandwagon!" Kirby should have the same message. Kids who are looking for greener pastures can absolutely be swayed by one or two simple sentences in a press conference.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

Last year is last year. Has NOTHING to do with this year. Do you think UGA will have a generational D, providing all the extra scoring possessions due to 3 and outs, with all the talent they lost on D? If you watch the CFBCG again closely you will see that the stars aligned for UGA. SBIV miraculously recovering 2 of his 3 fumbles, circus catches (Mitchell, McIntosh, Bowers), D holding AL to FG's, generational D, blocked FG attempt and finally a pick 6. The game was won by the D. A D that wont be there this year. You do realize that when Ringo got his pick 6 AL was down by 8 and moving the ball in a 1 score game? This was with AL missing their 2 best wr's and 2 best DB's. That O will not win you a championship this year. It didnt even win you the SEC last year. UGA is an elite program. Not yet THE elite program. If you want to replace AL as THE elite program you need a better passing O than last year. There is no debating it. IF UGA's passing O was elite then Burton wouldnt be leaving and Luther Burden wouldnt be going to MO. CKS won with an elite D, solid OL, star RB's, superstar TE and a game managing QB (who still made errors that are being called out as "bonehead" by the coach demanding improvement). CKS has said that the UGA program aspires to play for championships every year. Last year was last year. If you are not improving you are falling behind. LOL

• Options
    DOG4L1FDOG4L1F Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Who is Alabama's back up quarterback? Does he throw as well as B. Young?

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree that is why. But my question is this, wouldn't that of been a good time to throw more, especially with the back ups? Not likely to change the outcome of the game, maybe just changes the point spread margins of the games. Being up by 37 against Arkansas with the whole 4th qtr left, would of loved to have seen BV throw the ball around with 8 men in the box, instead of running straight up the middle for 15 straight plays. More game reps will never be a bad thing.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wait, what? "Georgia fans should not begrudge Burton in this day and age..." Why not?

I realize this article was largely another vehicle to rehash the debate about last year's approach to the offense (and the ensuing JT/SBIV decisions) and the desire to influence this year with CKS (good luck with that). However, I don't think any Dawgs fan needs to be told by the hosting site what feelings are or are not legitimate, especially around the undisputed, multi-decade arch rival to our favorite program.

Frankly, I'm not that exercised about Burton one way or the other, but it is perfectly legitimate (and reasonable, IMHO) for any Dawgs fan to "begrudge" a player (esp. a starter) leaving the team for the historical Darth Vader of an opponent... as would any "normal" fan. Trust me, if a UNC basketball player went to Duke, or an Ohio State football player went to Michigan, etc., etc. their fans WOULD begrudge whomever left for an archrival, much less right after winning a national championship vs. that very same team.

My two cents :)