Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Mount Rushmore of Crushing Losses in Georgia Sports History

DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
 Falcons 2017 Super Bowl would be Washington for me as the greatest crushing loss.  This was difficult as this years Natty felt the same or maybe worse.  But, although I was 5, I do have some memories of the 1980 UGA team and National Championship win.  The Falcons still have yet to pull off the big win.  Also, I was at the game last year and after a great weekend, the come from ahead loss kind of erased that.  
I'm putting this year's loss to Bama as my Jefferson.  This might change somewhat after time heals the wounds (if it does at all), but winning the Rose Bowl and especially the SEC championship could eventually let the 2012 SEC championship replace this loss in my mind.
The 2012 SEC Championship against Bama still stings greatly and is my Lincoln.  I was also at this game, and I can never appreciate the fact that I was there due to the loss and manner of losing.  After leading for the majority of the game, to lose with the clock running after a tipped ball and so close to scoring for the win, this was heartbreaking.  If UGA wins they play an overrated Notre Dame for the Natty and almost certainly wins.  Instead, UGA doesn't even get to play in Sugar Bowl and instead play Nebraska in the ugh Capital One Bowl.  They win the bowl game, but I have no memories of the win because of the loss to Bama.  

Finally, Teddy is my 1991 Atlanta Braves. This one flips with the 96' Braves from time to time for some of the same reasons this year's Natty loss for Dawgs might flip in the future. 91' was an amazing year for a team that wasn't supposed to get to the WS. But the long 7 games with its ups and downs left me crushed with the eventual loss. Some sting was erased in 95' but man, the Braves should have won at least 1 more in the 90s. 92' World Series was also tough, and 96' had an even better team than the 95 World Champion Braves, but today, 91 is on the mountainside.
So, there they are. Would you agree with my picks, some of my picks, or have a whole different 4 losses in Georgia sports? What are your Mount Rushmore of Crushing Losses in Georgia Sports History?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@Teddy said:

@Dawgsauce said:
    Falcons 2017 Super Bowl would be Washington for me as the greatest crushing loss. This was difficult as this years Natty felt the same or maybe worse. But, although I was 5, I do have some memories of the 1980 UGA team and National Championship win. The Falcons still have yet to pull off the big win. Also, I was at the game last year and after a great weekend, the come from ahead loss kind of erased that.
    I'm putting this year's loss to Bama as my Jefferson. This might change somewhat after time heals the wounds (if it does at all), but winning the Rose Bowl and especially the SEC championship could eventually let the 2012 SEC championship replace this loss in my mind.
    The 2012 SEC Championship against Bama still stings greatly and is my Lincoln. I was also at this game, and I can never appreciate the fact that I was there due to the loss and manner of losing. After leading for the majority of the game, to lose with the clock running after a tipped ball and so close to scoring for the win, this was heartbreaking. If UGA wins they play an overrated Notre Dame for the Natty and almost certainly wins. Instead, UGA doesn't even get to play in Sugar Bowl and instead play Nebraska in the ugh Capital One Bowl. They win the bowl game, but I have no memories of the win because of the loss to Bama.
    Finally, Teddy is my 1991 Atlanta Braves. This one flips with the 96' Braves from time to time for some of the same reasons this year's Natty loss for Dawgs might flip in the future. 91' was an amazing year for a team that wasn't supposed to get to the WS. But the long 7 games with its ups and downs left me crushed with the eventual loss. Some sting was erased in 95' but man, the Braves should have won at least 1 more in the 90s. 92' World Series was also tough, and 96' had an even better team than the 95 World Champion Braves, but today, 91 is on the mountainside.
    So, there they are. Would you agree with my picks, some of my picks, or have a whole different 4 losses in Georgia sports? What are your Mount Rushmore of Crushing Losses in Georgia Sports History?

Not a crushing loss, but don’t forget the 94 strike season. Atlanta would’ve won it all that year too, that was probably their best assembled team ever. Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Merker, Wohlers pitching. Deion, Javy, McGriff, Justice, Klesko, Blauser, Lemke, TP in the field. No let down that season, other than rich guys asking for more money. But the Braves were in their prime then, and didn’t even get to play... I miss Ted Turner. At least he attempted to spend money and win championships, unlike the current braves’ sh!t a$$ organization now.

Expos weren’t losing to the braves in 1994

• JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s amazing with the amount of talent that Georgia produces and the fan bases that get behind the teams in the state of Georgia, that there’s hasn’t been more championships of the major sports. It seems that the Pro sports just aren’t willing to spend that money to make it happen. And yes it seems like our football program is on the rise, but the baseball and basketball, there’s no excuse for them to not be competitive every year!!

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why do we have this thread? Do any of us need reminding?

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:
    Why do we have this thread? Do any of us need reminding?

With a user name like BamaDawg, you probably don't need any help being reminded of the Natty, lol. I am truly interested in what all Georgia sports fans see as the most crushing losses. I've lived through all of them since the 70s, but have been wondering if there are some fans from before then who remember some other games than I listed.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawgsauce said:
    Falcons 2017 Super Bowl would be Washington for me as the greatest crushing loss. This was difficult as this years Natty felt the same or maybe worse. But, although I was 5, I do have some memories of the 1980 UGA team and National Championship win. The Falcons still have yet to pull off the big win. Also, I was at the game last year and after a great weekend, the come from ahead loss kind of erased that.
    I'm putting this year's loss to Bama as my Jefferson. This might change somewhat after time heals the wounds (if it does at all), but winning the Rose Bowl and especially the SEC championship could eventually let the 2012 SEC championship replace this loss in my mind.
    The 2012 SEC Championship against Bama still stings greatly and is my Lincoln. I was also at this game, and I can never appreciate the fact that I was there due to the loss and manner of losing. After leading for the majority of the game, to lose with the clock running after a tipped ball and so close to scoring for the win, this was heartbreaking. If UGA wins they play an overrated Notre Dame for the Natty and almost certainly wins. Instead, UGA doesn't even get to play in Sugar Bowl and instead play Nebraska in the ugh Capital One Bowl. They win the bowl game, but I have no memories of the win because of the loss to Bama.

Not a crushing loss, but don’t forget the 94 strike season. Atlanta would’ve won it all that year too, that was probably their best assembled team ever. Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Merker, Wohlers pitching. Deion, Javy, McGriff, Justice, Klesko, Blauser, Lemke, TP in the field. No let down that season, other than rich guys asking for more money. But the Braves were in their prime then, and didn’t even get to play... I miss Ted Turner. At least he attempted to spend money and win championships, unlike the current braves’ sh!t a$$ organization now.

This. ^^^

The Braves were 6 games behind the Expos at the All-Star break, which was the strike deadline. It's debatable whether or not they would have come back, but there wasn't a wild-card series back then, so who knows?

Last season that I followed MLB with the same enthusiasm that I followed college football. In '95, I followed the Braves, but not as much as I had in the past. And when the Braves reverted to being a sh!t organization, I completely stopped watching MLB.....but I still watch college baseball.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2017 National Championship
    2012 SECCG
    1996 World Series
    2016 Super Bowl

I was only 3 during the 1991 or that would rank up there as well. We’re cursed.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's others I would add to the 2012 and 2017 losses to Alabama....

1983.... Sugar Bowl loss to Penn State. Win that, and UGA wins their second National Title in 3 years.

1992.... UGA misses out on the very first SECCG because of 2 losses by 5 points total.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally agree with this. The braves had shown themselves to be better second half teams in several of those yrs but that Expo team was sick. If you're a baseball fan, go back and check that roster. Crazy deep team.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Derrick Brown to the Barners comes to mind...

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

Derrick Brown to the Barners comes to mind...

I’m still salty about that one. Still remember how the news slowly started to leak out and how bummed I was

Felt like it was time to bring this thread back. Ughhh

It's a wrap. 2012 SECCG, Super Bowl LI, 2018 National Championship, 2018 SECCG, and 91, 96, and now 2019 game 5 for the Braves. I'm missing some, but these are all soul crushing losses for me. I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Braves nor Falcons will never let me down again as I have ZERO expectations for either, ever. Not saying I won’t watch & root for both, but the outcome of their games will NEVER change my mood again.

1. uga-uf 2002
    2. 2012 seccg
    3. 2017 national title game
    4. 2018 seccg
  • brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I'm leaving SunTrust park I have to add 2019 Braves game 5 to your list. That ****.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kicking the curse in the teeth. Go Braves!

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amazing story of overcoming adversity and mowing through a murderer’s row of Milwaukee-LA-Houston!

As Kirby said recently, it’s the time for celebration 🎉!!!

Keep chopping!