Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud praises Georgia football program: ‘Helluva team, great team’

Comments

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Debate, bebate and debate about CJ and Stetson, UGA won and OSU lost, that's all that matters, now on to the ninth of January and TCU.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It doesn’t diminish anything Bennett has done by recognizing the quality of the play of Stroud. He is an excellent QB and really showed it on the field. The biggest difference is that Stroud is the reason OSU was a high quality competitor and played well enough to win and UGA has so many complementary players that make that equation work. It’s not either/or but to cite stats for one game with Bennett and then defend that stats aren’t the best measure of a QB’s value (which i agree with) doesn’t make sense. One of the best college QBs I’ve ever seen was Danny Wuerffel and he didn’t make a great NFL QB but it certainly doesn’t diminish how solid of a college QB he was. Bennett is perfect for this team and has a great opportunity to be viewed as the best UGA has produced from a winning perspective. Never have to buy a drink or dinner in Jawga forever. Go Bennett and Go DAWGS.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

@thadec

Keep the posts coming my man. I know you like to stir the pot a bit but it's often a welcome antidote to the blind homerism that's so common in this comment section.

Everyone who's not a Dawg fan will acknowledge that Stroud is a "more talented" QB than Bennett - that doesn't denigrate Bennett in the slightest. He's done a fantastic job and is an inspirational story.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly @Henddawg . Why does a good story about C.J. Stroud, which is headlined about his praise for UGA, merit such condemnation of him? What did he say that was bad? Writing something good about him doesn't IN ANY WAY take away from what Stetson Bennett did. And there are, were and will be plenty written on this site and elsewhere about how Stetson Bennett came to the rescue when needed. Yes, Stroud and OSU lost, but that in no way means that his play and character can't be recognized. It takes NOTHING away from Stetson Bennett. It's called Sportsmanship.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're right...especially about the "narratives", Lol. I knew that would happen. Either way, "win, lose or draw"...somehow, OSU was the team to beat, even though the Dawgs are undefeated. "Excuses", if they lose..."expected, but, iconic" if they win.

Lmao...none of the ESPN backed teams won, and their chosen Heisman candidates...the ones they pushed...all lost. With the exception of the Natty. Bennett and Duggin are still worthy of the Heisman. IMO

@navydawg ...What a lot of people don't know, is that Bennett was born and raised in a poverty stricken County that didn't have High School football. He had to move to Blackshear, in order to play there. I had to do the same thing, when I was a kid. It's not easy and the coaches at smaller schools here in SE GA aren't exactly Lombardi wannabes. The really good ones, either coach in SW Ga (Valdosta, Moultrie, etc)...or they move up North, like Camden County's coach did several years ago.

Don't assume a guy had it easy or hard...just based on the color of his skin...or his last name. Seems the "Press" has made a living doing that far too long. When are we gonna reach that "Promised Land", MLK so eloquently described? We're still waiting, cause the people with the most to gain from civil division...won't let it go. Too much money in racism. That's the problem.

End of speech...Lol. How was your Christmas/New Year? Hope you and the Dawgs have a great 2023!

Go back to work, boys. Only 1 more week, and you'll be legendary. 🤞🤞

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent comments as usual !! If you ever decide to run for public office you Sure got my vote Brother !! Looking forward to the joust between our Dawgs and them Froggies !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I Always appreciate your reasonable and well thought out comments. And it’s obvious you love and support our Dawgs !! Thank You !!

• Options

Stroud couldn't run UGA's current offense as well as Bennett does. If you plugged Bennett into OSU's offense, he would be, at least as successful.

If you want to have an opinion like that...fine. But, at least qualify it. Why is he a more "talented QB". They are both accurate, Stroud has about 10 uds greater throwing range, but Bennett makes up for it with his presnap reads, Bennett has better pocket presence and running is part of his game...not so much with Stroud, Stroud is more of a prototypical pocket passer, they both have speed and quickness when forced to run.

I like em both. But, they are two different types of QB. I don't see one as better than the other...just different, because of the types of offenses they run.

Yeah, Bennett is 25...but, he graduated HS when he was 19...and turned 20 in Oct '17...his 1st year of College. It took him 2 or 3 years to pick up on the coaching he didn't get in high school. All he had was talent when he moved on from HS to College.

I think it's time you people cut this boy some slack and give him his due. Or maybe it makes you feel better about your own deficient careers, if you nit-pick and dissect him like I've never seen a UGA QB dissected. Not even Joe Cox was as panned as Bennett has been. Lol

I'm over it and I'm sure he is, too. Reporters have misread and erred on the UGA QB room, since at least 2020. But, they know, if you keep pushing the lie, people will begin to believe. That philosophy has permeated every aspect of our media, to the point, you can't believe anything read...or see, sometimes.

• Options

Hmmm..."fantastic job and an inspiration " I guess maybe English is your second language.

I love it when blowhards like you resort to casting aspersions at someone's personal or professional life when you disagree with them.

Happy to compare LinkedIn profiles if you want. I think you'll find I've been plenty successful in my career.

How about you?

• Options

Hmmm...despite the fact that my comments weren't specifically aimed at anyone in particular...it seems to have struck a nerve with you. Maybe, that's something you can work on.

While I'm not interested in comparing sizes with you, I highly doubt you and I would see eye-to-eye on the definition of success. You can go ahead tell everybody the size of your bank account, if that's what gets you off.

My comments were meant to provoke thought and highlight a subcurrent of bias that inherently exists in the media, today. And how it effects the Georgia Bulldogs and it's fanbase.

If you have an opposing opinion...I'm listening. Whatcha got Vern?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lots of people giving Stroud props on this website. Maybe they're giving SB props on the Ohio St. Forums, I don't know but somehow I doubt it. My guess is they're(some )are saying really good QB about their own Stroud but can't win the big game. That would be a shame but that's how fans do.

I'm OK with SB not being the most gifted QB. Inspirational works for me or gets the most out of his talent pool or winner or NCG MVP or whatever. I just call him the "little train that could!"

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

The term is MOXIE. You can argue/debate whether SBIV or Stroud is the best QB til the cows come home, all I know is what I saw Saturday night.....Bennett put the DAWGS in position to win the game and Stroud should have won the Heisman and played good enough to have won.....thank goodness football is a TEAM sport and on Saturday night the DAWGS were just a hair better than TOS.

What I will state factually is that there is no QB in America with more of that "MOXIE" I previously mentioned. SBIV has infected the entire TEAM and he keeps it at fever pitch for each game. Monday night we will play a TEAM with a QB that has demonstrated the same level of MOXIE as SBIV. It will be a WAR. I'm confident that when you combine MOXIE with talent, the TEAM with the most, wins. 2N22 is on the horizon, GOOO DAWGS, SICEM, WOOF, WOOF, WOOF !

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sure Caleb Williams is wishing he might have chosen UGA about right now. Interesting how things play out. If he comes to UGA then possibly SB never sees a snap this season as a starter. SB said he had a talk with CKS and after last season and was gauranteed the starting job, but it has been printed on here that Caleb Williams was pursued by UGA and SB was his host!! THat's messed up. I don't think Williams would have transferred to ride the bench. Doesn't sound like as much of a gaurantee as SB might have thought.

Sometimes it's being in the right place , at the right time! Go SB and go Dawgs!!

• Options

And, Zach Evens is having a long conversation with himself...or should be. He could've been playing on either one of the teams in the Natty, this year.

Let that be a cautionary tale to future recruits.

• Options

OK, I'll bite.

First, it wasn't me who suggested we "compare sizes". It was you who said anyone not worshipping on the alter of Bennett was making up for their own "deficient careers".

I described Bennett as doing a fantastic job and an inspiration - how that can be twisted into anything negative is mystifying. If, in fact, Bennett has the skills you attribute to him, those are exactly what the NFL covets in a QB and he should have a long and successful career as a pro. And I hope that's exactly what happens.

Finally, the narrative that the "media" doesn't give Bennett enough respect - and by extension the Dawgs as a team - is a common theme in the Dawgnation world. The media just selected him as a Heisman Trophy finalist - how much more respect can he get???

Happy New Year.