Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Honeymoon is over for Pruitt. More issues looming...

Comments

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pruitt is like the "kick me" sign on someone's back, or the TP stuck to TN's shoe leaving the restroom. We all see it but they don't. Let's just sit back and watch the vols make a total mockery of themselves.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure why my response didn’t stick. It’s crazy right? It wasn’t one writer going after some kids and it wasn’t some kids being kids. At the time it was all over the Internet. Finding names is not that difficult. I imagine someone who posted that information on the Vol board was from that area and knew he was part of it.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

Zero reasons why that person should have been offered. We should not have players who beat women on our team or sodomize children. Sick. If there is a substance abuse or addiction issue, get them help and provide a chance to turn things around once you are clean. But sexual assault is not in the same universe. As I said earlier, they will complain about a hat tossed or a country kid singing a song about football teams (“break their legs!”), but trust Pruitt on this one. Smh.

@greshamdisco said:
    Zero reasons why that person should have been offered. We should not have players who beat women on our team or sodomize children. Sick. If there is a substance abuse or addiction issue, get them help and provide a chance to turn things around once you are clean. But sexual assault is not in the same universe. As I said earlier, they will complain about a hat tossed or a country bit singing a song, but trust Pruitt on this one. Smh.

Some of those folks on that board were talking about second chances. Nope and nope not for that type of action.

• dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2018

It's wait n see. Thanks Pruit for the push on the indoor practice facility and upgrade to our defensive path. He is a good Denfensive coach , has a vision and will be another hungry dog on the recruiting trail with a good staff.
    Do not think it is in our interest to have weak teams and coaches and be like Wisconsin schedule.
    We all like Gameday talking about the big Georgia matchup. Georgia Clemson and especially Alabama horded all the talent in the SEC East.

Pruitt an upgrade and Tenn will improve, their battle is can they be maybe the 5th best SEC team. There not likely going to be first unless the billionares of Tenn go crazy in donations and out build everyone else and draw attention.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is not an effort to defend the kid. Just an observation with which anyone can agree or disagree. Check out the kid's twitter page, and watch his interview. I have no clue what happened, but on social media he appears to be a well-behaved kid who has been very gracious on social media to every school which hosted or visited with him. He uses proper language, and has a 3.2 gpa. The give away was during his interview after signing.. He said, "I've worked hard. I deserve this." That's not what you ever hear a kid say about a scholarship offer. Just the way he said it, too. You can hear his self-doubt, like he's trying to say, "Ive paid my price and tried hard to be a good person. I deserve a 2nd chance."

I wish I hadn't posted on this, honestly. It is not my place to pass judgement on him. Obviously feel for the victim of such a heinous crime, too. Sometimes so called "hazings" get carried away with multiple people when only one person is malicious and the others involved think they are just messing around with someone. Like I said, I have no clue what happened, or even if he was actually involved but he does not come across as a sick little deviant at all.

Glad it's UT's issue to work out and not UGA's.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is there at least some work the kid has done with a psychologist Pruitt can point to that has the psychologist putting their professional reputation on the line to say the kid is not a sociopath?

I’m all for second chances. But it’s never even occurred to me to do that to somebody. Evil does exist and it’s our job to stay as far away from it as possible.

Twitter pages and recorded interviews aren’t really proof. Nor is the word of a football coach who has his own history of not getting along with people. Yes, football coaches know young men better than the average person. But I’ve never heard of them being specifically trained to deal with sickos. Next we’ll be hearing about how much his momma loves him.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really don't want to comment on something that is written on line without personally really knowing the facts.

With regard to Pruitt I felt he was a good recruiter and descent DC during his time at UGA. I do not think he will be successful as a Head Coach as he lacks to people skills needed to deal with Administration and Boosters etc. It seems the players love him but IMO he has a problem with peers and others up the chain. JMO I have been wrong before.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 said:

With regard to Pruitt I felt he was a good recruiter and descent DC during his time at UGA. I do not think he will be successful as a Head Coach as he lacks to people skills needed to deal with Administration and Boosters etc. It seems the players love him but IMO he has a problem with peers and others up the chain.

You could have been describing Jim Donnan. He had the people skills of Atilla the Hun once he left the topic of football, and he felt all the non-football field responsibilities (university, admin, alumni, PR) were a huge bother. I heard / saw him bite the head off of some older lady who was asking him if a player from her hometown church would get playing time.

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just from doing some reading, apparently the kid was a"minor" admit guilty to aggravated assault as a juvenile, and had his record sealed? Not defending Pruitt, but if publicly the kids name was never mentioned as being directly associated, I could see it being overlooked in the heat of recruiting. With that being said, second chances or no, I would not want him anywhere near my program, especially with as much Title IV fiasco Tennessee has been involved in.

As for Pruitt, I feel like he'll be a Muschamp at Florida. Good defense, not enough time to turn the program around, hop on a year as a DC and return to a mid major, or less expectation power 5 school.

@levander said:
    Is there at least some work the kid has done with a psychologist Pruitt can point ......

I'm willing to wager against that one. Pruitt made the offer so quickly that they really didnt have time to do any vetting whatsoever. Had they known about this then you would have to think it would be a straight pass for a school like UT. You have a victim and his family out there who are still suffering. I have to think if they could find out about it as a coaching staff that others would as well. Hell, some competing universities might be willing to let the info slip.

UT only initiated contact under Pruitt very recently. He had been on campus under Jones, but if you believe the reports then Pruitt only made contact in the last week. They decided to make an offer the day before signing day after watching him work out via a facetime link where they asked him to dunk a basketball to show his athleticism. I thinkPruitt knew very little.

@Dakota_Nester said:
    Just from doing some reading, apparently the kid was a"minor" admit guilty to aggravated assault as a juvenile, and had his record sealed? Not defending Pruitt, but if publicly the kids name was never mentioned as being directly associated, I could see it being overlooked in the heat of recruiting. With that being said, second chances or no, I would not want him anywhere near my program, especially with as much Title IV fiasco Tennessee has been involved in.

As for Pruitt, I feel like he'll be a Muschamp at Florida. Good defense, not enough time to turn the program around, hop on a year as a DC and return to a mid major, or less expectation power 5 school.

Pretty sure coaches do their research on recruits. Could be wrong, but not hard to find stuff on the young man using a simple google search

@Bankwalker said:
    This is not an effort to defend the kid. Just an observation with which anyone can agree or disagree. Check out the kid's twitter page, and watch his interview. I have no clue what happened, but on social media he appears to be a well-behaved kid who has been very gracious on social media to every school which hosted or visited with him. He uses proper language, and has a 3.2 gpa. The give away was during his interview after signing.. He said, "I've worked hard. I deserve this." That's not what you ever hear a kid say about a scholarship offer. Just the way he said it, too. You can hear his self-doubt, like he's trying to say, "Ive paid my price and tried hard to be a good person. I deserve a 2nd chance."

I wish I hadn't posted on this, honestly. It is not my place to pass judgement on him. Obviously feel for the victim of such a heinous crime, too. Sometimes so called "hazings" get carried away with multiple people when only one person is malicious and the others involved think they are just messing around with someone. Like I said, I have no clue what happened, or even if he was actually involved but he does not come across as a sick little deviant at all.

Calling it a heinous crime, but have no idea what happened? Holding down a boy as a pool cue is forced into him causing emergency surgery is past the line of hazing. I can’t fathom how any of the four boys who were found guilty saw this as just “messing around” or “hazing” I guess that could be the difference between a predator and a normal upstanding citizen. Maybe hazing has changed over the years. I’m sure he regrets that weekend in Gatlinburg, but I hope the victim has a second chance at life well before this recruit.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JRT812 said:

@CoachRob16 said:
    Amazing how quickly some will change their toon when they find out something.

I would not be happy if my coach was signing a recruit found guilty of raping four high school freshmen with a pool cue. Left one young man hospitalized and requiring emergency surgery. Being from Ooltewah... it was weird to hear about it happening at the high school.

Oh I agree. I was saying how quickly some of the UT fans went from one end of the spectrum to the other. I don't condone one bit even trying to sign this kid.

@JRT812 said:

@Bankwalker said:

Calling it a heinous crime, but have no idea what happened? Holding down a boy as a pool cue is forced into him causing emergency surgery is past the line of hazing. I can’t fathom how any of the four boys who were found guilty saw this as just “messing around” or “hazing” I guess that could be the difference between a predator and a normal upstanding citizen. Maybe hazing has changed over the years. I’m sure he regrets that weekend in Gatlinburg, but I hope the victim has a second chance at life well before this recruit.

I was guilty of crime once just by being there. Some vandalism occurred and property destroyed. 16 years old. The solicitor suggested I read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote to understand how people get caught up in crimes they never intended. Clearly a heainous crime occurred. I was just stating the obvious...we dont know the degree to which each participated, or what they thought was going to happen before what happened actually happened. Not a defense for anyone. Just saying that not everyone convicted of murder is a cold blooded killer.

• britishdawgbritishdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2018

I think the rumors around how Pruitt reacted to Quay Walker sum up one of his biggest issues. His temper. If it's true that he either hung up on Quay or screamed at him just because the guys wanted to go to a different school, then that's a problem.

Does anyone here remember when Kirby missed on EJ Price in 2016? Lots of people started saying that he has character issues and started spreading rumors. Kirby sent him a really great message supporting him. Even after being spurned by an offensive tackle that our team DESPERATELY needed, he still stood up for the guy and told him to come visit whenever he was in state.

Head coaches have got to have players backs at the end of the day. If the Walker rumor is true, there isn't a bigger contrast between Pruitt and Smart than that one.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@levander said:
    Is there at least some work the kid has done with a psychologist Pruitt can point ......

I'm willing to wager against that one. Pruitt made the offer so quickly that they really didnt have time to do any vetting whatsoever. Had they known about this then you would have to think it would be a straight pass for a school like UT. You have a victim and his family out there who are still suffering. I have to think if they could find out about it as a coaching staff that others would as well. Hell, some competing universities might be willing to let the info slip.

UT only initiated contact under Pruitt very recently. He had been on campus under Jones, but if you believe the reports then Pruitt only made contact in the last week. They decided to make an offer the day before signing day after watching him work out via a facetime link where they asked him to dunk a basketball to show his athleticism. I thinkPruitt knew very little.

Pruitt probably didn't have long to evaluate, just threw an offer out there because every other top recruit told UT no thanks (minus Peterson), and threw their hat across the gym.

I understand and just a response.

@Bankwalker said:

@JRT812 said:

@Bankwalker said:

I was guilty of crime once just by being there. Some vandalism occurred and property destroyed. 16 years old. The solicitor suggested I read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote to understand how people get caught up in crimes they never intended. Clearly a heainous crime occurred. I was just stating the obvious...we dont know the degree to which each participated, or what they thought was going to happen before what happened actually happened. Not a defense for anyone. Just saying that not everyone convicted of murder is a cold blooded killer.

I understand and just a response.